ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
My boys wife is Filipino and is often a lot like Rainbow, a bit naive, when it comes to race. This show hit all the black viewpoints.

I actually loved the subtle "dig" at Coates. Basically saying that he's getting props for eloquently writing what every black person has said and felt.

Wasn't really a dig tho, if you saying it as a means of a sly slight or whatever. They even wanted to actually have Coates on there, but had to just use an previously done vid that was relevant.. More of a props to him for saying what we're all thinking than anything.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Wasn't really a dig tho, if you saying it as a means of a sly slight or whatever. They even wanted to actually have Coates on there, but had to just use an previously done vid that was relevant.. More of a props to him for saying what we're all thinking than anything.

I know, that's why I put it in quotes. But it was more so a slight shot at people like Junior who quote Coates over people in his own family, (i.e. The scene where Anderson said the exact same thing in the book 5 minutes before Junior quoted it).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
My boys wife is Filipino and is often a lot like Rainbow, a bit naive, when it comes to race. This show hit all the black viewpoints.

I actually loved the subtle "dig" at Coates. Basically saying that he's getting props for eloquently writing what every black person has said and felt.

Which is what I told my boy about him. And I completely agree with Zoey that I dont want to read to tell me how to feel:russ:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You caught that too :sas2:

She was like I don't need a book to tell me how to feel I was like :gladbron: but at the same time it may have been a subtle shot it also is just reality of some folk. They did a good job of not making us a monolith even though the episode focused on just one family.

I think it's a shot at the cats who will tell you "You NEED to read this, brother" and then give you the gas face when you tell them "No thanks, I'm good" as if you're incapable of your own thoughts and opinions and conclusions without the help of a book.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You caught that too :sas2:

She was like I don't need a book to tell me how to feel I was like :gladbron: but at the same time it may have been a subtle shot it also is just reality of some folk. They did a good job of not making us a monolith even though the episode focused on just one family.

Yup. Diverse opinions within the community and they gave them all their fair due and made them all seem reasonable without demonizing one or the other. It was a family having an actual discussion rather than taking one side and saying that's the right way or that's the right angle. And of course the kids had the most profound shyt to say

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Not sure why people are saying its the best episode. It literally isn't

Its an IMPORTANT episode, but the way the acting was just forced in there, makes it one of their worst. The "acting" was low-key bad on Zoey's behalf.

It was kinda cringeworthy. I appreciate them doing it, but it could have been done better considering the history of this show.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Its an IMPORTANT episode, but the way the acting was just forced in there, makes it one of their worst. The "acting" was low-key bad on Zoey's behalf.

It was kinda cringeworthy. I appreciate them doing it, but it could have been done better considering the history of this show.

Yeah I wouldn't say it's the best episode of the series but it's easily the most important episode and the most profound. I think cats are just saying it's the best because of the subject matter. Same reason my boy says the big short is the best movie of last year (not to say it isn't great). He's only saying it because of the subject matter, not the execution.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah I wouldn't say it's the best episode of the series but it's easily the most important episode and the most profound. I think cats are just saying it's the best because of the subject matter. Same reason my boy says the big short is the best movie of last year (not to say it isn't great). He's only saying it because of the subject matter, not the execution.
IMO, the Big Short was one of the better movies last year

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
IMO, the Big Short was one of the better movies last year

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not breh lol. I'm saying that HIS reasoning is just because of the subject matter. Nothing else. Not the acting, not the writing, not the directing, not a damn thing other than the subject matter.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah, I'm not saying it's not breh lol. I'm saying that HIS reasoning is just because of the subject matter. Nothing else. Not the acting, not the writing, not the directing, not a damn thing other than the subject matter.
I hear you, but there were other reasons I liked it...it was like a better version of The Wolf of Wall Street

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I think it's a shot at the cats who will tell you "You NEED to read this, brother" and then give you the gas face when you tell them "No thanks, I'm good" as if you're incapable of your own thoughts and opinions and conclusions without the help of a book.

I feel that. Nonetheless, books on it and whatnot are still a good thing overall.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

I agree with this

Its what I said earlier.

I was talking to my girl about it after the show, and said it wasnt that strong event though the subject matter was great. She disagreed.

Last edited: