"Abbott Elementary" TV comedy about a Philly public school

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
:ohhh: oooh that's fire

I hope so bc I still enjoy holiday themed episodes of shows. They can bring quality, fukkery, and some heartwarming writing into the mix

But I can just see them expanding on different aspects they touched on in the first season like field trips and standardized state testing, spring break, etc.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
You don't need that much here. There's a few routes you can take but
  • Holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally or nationally accredited college/university.

• Satisfies the requirements set forth in section 24 P.S. § 12-1209 relating to good moral character.

• Provides verification of three years of relevant professional experience. For the purpose of this section, relevant professional experience is “professional experience in an educational setting that is related to the instructional process.”

• Completes a Pennsylvania-approved, graduate-level principal certification program that includes an internship/practicum or an equivalent out-of-state program. A 3.0 program Grade Point Average (GPA) is required.

• Provides evidence of satisfactory achievement on the Pennsylvania required test.
I like Greg's arc though. He's gonna go from "just a sub" putting in apps to be a principal, to becoming engrained in the teaching culture or that school.

You can be a principal in PA without a master's degree!? Love the show, but his character is unrealistic. You usually have to be principal certified to even be an AP (Greg said he had an M.Ed.), and this guy got a HEAD principal job before Ava stole it from him? This isn't some charter school - federal districts have federal guidelines. Why is Gregory written like a first-year? (Also, no way in HELL he wouldn't have a principal job elsewhere. And getting your nails done at lunch? Please.)

Ava is my AP (dumb as a rock, but she's ours!) and my teaching partner - a tiny little Eye-talian from Philly - is Schemmenti all over.

Last edited:

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Fantastic show. Great cast and i am amazed at quintas growth. I remeber her from buzzfeed and i am truly in awe of her success.

So many good characters that i can't choose. Got me feeling :flabbynsick: seeing everybody hates chris all grown. Ava is so god damn sexy :noah:. And that one episode with the mom bringing her child late to class... that mom was just :ohlawd:.

Janitor is the mvp tho :bryan:

A+. Can't wait for more.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think my favorite thing about this show is Barbara's confused faces. She make the same faces as the mom on Arrested Development, but under the veneer of being a good Christian woman. The Jadakiss line had me dying. They do something similar to Succession where she is usually in the background making faces.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah this was a perfect season. The concept allows for so much humor and character growth. Every episode gives you just enough authentic introspective moments that nothing comes off too preachy or too corny. It just fits.

I think most importantly the fact that this show hasn't turned the kids into minstrel objects is super key. That step dancing episode could've gone waaaay bad. The girl acting up in class could've easily turned into a don imus moment. The parent that didn't know what time to bring their child to school....lord, I can keep going. But there's a balance because each episode is focused on character growth, not just laughs for laughs sake.

They can never do season 2 and this show would remain an all time classic.
They also coulda really fukked Ava's character under the same guise, and they didn't.

The show also captures all of Philly.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
black-yoda-abbott-elementary.gif

:heh:

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
I know this is set in Philly, but with my wife being a teacher in a poor ass school district (so bad they actually made a documentary on it called the Corridor of Shame) she sees a lot of similarities in the things she goes through on her job.

This is definitely one of my favorite new sitcoms of the last 10 years...

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

WTF do people think a school shooting episode of AE would look like? The shooter starts to fire on 3rd graders and Ava TikToks instead of calling 911?

It's a sitcom not Season 4 of The Wire. Can't believe how dumb people are that she'd get enough people asking that she had to put that tweet out.

:martin:

milanoAT

Pro
Daps
WTF do people think a school shooting episode of AE would look like? The shooter starts to fire on 3rd graders and Ava TikToks instead of calling 911?

It's a sitcom not Season 4 of The Wire. Can't believe how dumb people are that she'd get enough people asking that she had to put that tweet out.

:martin:
Right.. it's a comedy show, not a drama. I don't want to see the characters poking fun or making light of such a situation, further normalizing it.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cute show, and I binged a few episodes, but I haven't had a laugh out loud moment yet