"Abbott Elementary" TV comedy about a Philly public school

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Shoutouts to both Quinta Brunson & Abbot Elementary for absolutely CLEANING UP at this year’s the Emmy Nominations!

Quinta Brunson- Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series

Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series (Pilot)

Sheryl Lee Ralph- Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series

Janelle James- Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series

Tyler James Williams- Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series

Abbot Elementary- Outstanding Comedy Series

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This show is great. I'm surprised yal aren't talking about the lawsuit that has been filed against Quinta and the production company behind it.

Philadelphia native Quinta Brunson’s hit ABC comedy Abbott Elementary earned a bunch of Emmy nominations last week, but now Brunson and the network are being sued for copyright infringement in a lawsuit that calls the show a “veritable knock-off.”

In a filing in the Southern District of New York last week, aspiring writer and actress Christine Davis claims that Brunson, ABC, and other defendants built Abbott on the back of her own 2018 script titled This School Year. Davis is asking for an unspecified amount of damages.

Davis’ suit claims that many elements of Abbott, such as the “look and feel of the inner-city school, the mockumentary style, unique plot synopsis, set design and unique characters” were taken from her script. This School Year, which is set at a New York City public school, was registered with the U.S. Copyright Office in 2020, and with the Writers Guild of America in 2021. Abbott premiered on ABC and streaming service Hulu in December.

Davis’ script, the suit says, revolves around a “young, idealistic teacher … trying to convince everyone that the school needs to be reformed,” and features a mockumentary style because the “principal hires filmmakers to make a documentary of the school.”

In addition to the style and plot of the script, Davis’ suit claims that Abbott’s main characters are “nearly identical in type” to those in This School Year — including Brunson’s Janine Teagues. Other characters in the show, such as Sheryl Lee Ralph’s Barbara Howard, are “also nearly identical” to Davis’ characters, the suit alleges.

Davis claims that she showed her script to defendants Shavon Sullivan Wright and Cherisse Parks at Blue Park Productions in summer 2020, and the group had several meetings about the This School Year pilot script. Wright and Park, the suit says, were “aware that Hulu and ABC were looking for Black, female-led comedies,” and took the script to the streaming network, which appeared to have passed on picking it up.

Then, the suit says, in September, ABC “commenced production on Abbott Elementary, a new, Black, female-led comedy with substantial similarities” to Davis’ This School Year.”

Neither ABC nor Brunson has yet publicly commented on the suit.

News of the suit comes as Abbott earned seven Emmy nominations, including outstanding comedy series, lead actress in a comedy, and writing for a comedy. That development is a historic one — Brunson is the first Black woman to earn three nominations in the award show’s comedy category — and, at 32, she is the youngest Black woman ever nominated for an acting statuette in the comedy category, Variety reports.

“Crying shaking and throwing up has new meaning to me because I real life did all three,” Brunson tweeted after the Emmy nominations were announced. “Still speechless. Congrats to the entire staff and cast of Abbott Elementary. And I want to share this moment with all of the people who watch and love the show. Emmy nominated, baby!”

Abbott was also renewed for a second season in March, with ABC announcing its renewal via a mock memo from principal Ava Coleman (played by Janelle James), a beloved character from the show. Its second season is set to premiere Sept. 21.

Set in Philadelphia, the show quickly became a local favorite, not only because of Brunson’s connection to the area, but also Abbott’s deep bench of Philly references and the state of the city’s public school system. In January, City Council even passed a resolution celebrating Brunson. Introduced by Councilmember Helen Gym, the resolution praised Abbott for showing the world “the heart and grit of our city.”

Ol' girl bringing receipts. Hopefully they do her right and either give her some credit or potentially work with her moving forward.

She had her shyt together and got her script copywritten and can prove she met with the defendants before the show was announced.
:whew:

She patiently waited until they racked up all those nominations to drop the bombs on em too.

SunnyD

All Star
Daps
This show is great. I'm surprised yal aren't talking about the lawsuit that has been filed against Quinta and the production company behind it.

Ol' girl bringing receipts. Hopefully they do her right and either give her some credit or potentially work with her moving forward.

She had her shyt together and got her script copywritten and can prove she met with the defendants before the show was announced.
:whew:

She patiently waited until they racked up all those nominations to drop the bombs on em too.
I hope there is away this can be resolved where both parties are left fully satisfied. This show is dope. It’s a nice change from pimp this and hoe that, neck twirling, finger snapping, black men ain’t shyt, black men are gay etc … it’s a positive and we have very few so I hope it sticks around.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I hope there is away this can be resolved where both parties are left fully satisfied. This show is dope. It’s a nice change from pimp this and hoe that, neck twirling, finger snapping, black men ain’t shyt, black men are gay etc … it’s a positive and we have very few so I hope it sticks around.
I agree, but as a creative myself, this is a great example of how to be on your business.
:salute:

There are countless instances where ideas are taken from people in this industry who aren't business savvy. I think this is a learning lesson for anyone who's aspiring to write or create in this space. Before you get in these rooms with folks that literally have access to get great ideas green lit, get your paperwork together.

This woman clearly was patient and sat back and let the praise and accolades mount before putting that suit on them. That's a big difference than what we're used to seeing where, people go on social media and look crazy and make claims about how they were taken advantage of but don't have shyt in order to prove it.

Lawsuit is here if anyone wants to read more in depth...

Last edited: