"Abbott Elementary" TV comedy about a Philly public school

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I agree, but as a creative myself, this is a great example of how to be on your business.
:salute:

There are countless instances where ideas are taken from people in this industry who aren't business savvy. I think this is a learning lesson for anyone who's aspiring to write or create in this space. Before you get in these rooms with folks that literally have access to get great ideas green lit, get your paperwork together.

This woman clearly was patient and sat back and let the praise and accolades mount before putting that suit on them. That's a big difference than what we're used to seeing where, people go on social media and look crazy and make claims about how they were taken advantage of but don't have shyt in order to prove it.

Lawsuit is here if anyone wants to read more in depth...

You think it all sounds credible? I’m a blue collar ass dude and tho I ain’t a dummy, I’m not gonna understand a lot of the legal jargon. Kinda disappointed in Quinta if shyts true

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You think it all sounds credible? I’m a blue collar ass dude and tho I ain’t a dummy, I’m not gonna understand a lot of the legal jargon. Kinda disappointed in Quinta if shyts true
It's credible and valid. She met with the producers of the show multiple times, they were giving her praise and hyping up the concept. And they were flexing about how they had connections to HULU and ABC and knew that they were looking for a new black female lead comedy show.

She sent them them the script for the pilot episode as well as the overall summary for how the show would be and after a couple months, the show was greenlit and staring production without her consent or involvement (cold af).

She had her work copywritten prior to taking the meetings, so this isn't a case where someone just posted something online and it was taken and made into something else. She did her due diligence and should at least get a nice settlement out of this.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
It's credible and valid. She met with the producers of the show multiple times, they were giving her praise and hyping up the concept. And they were flexing about how they had connections to HULU and ABC and knew that they were looking for a new black female lead comedy show.

She sent them them the script for the pilot episode as well as the overall summary for how the show would be and after a couple months, the show was greenlit and staring production without her consent or involvement (cold af).

She had her work copywritten prior to taking the meetings, so this isn't a case where someone just posted something online and it was taken and made into something else. She did her due diligence and should at least get a nice settlement out of this.

Quick correction - she never met any producers of AE or anybody involved with the show.

She was meeting with a separate production company who aren't involved in any way. Those producers said they could take her idea to HULU and ABC.

Also you said you were surprised we weren't talking about it, but there's already a separate three page thread

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Quick correction - she never met any producers of AE or anybody involved with the show.

She was meeting with a separate production company who aren't involved in any way. Those producers said they could take her idea to HULU and ABC.

Also you said you were surprised we weren't talking about it, but there's already a separate three page thread

I'm going to go through that thread but I'm sure it's full of people with the same sentiment you have in your post.

Did the women she met with pitch the the show to ABC and Hulu or not?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Damn, looks like she got a Issa Rae type deal off one season…. Good for her

A lot of creatives get those types of deals once the first season is a runaway hit. Its the networks way of keeping the talent “in house” while their relatively cheap and haven’t completely blown up yet. Its a great way for the networks to show confidence in the talent and for the talent to feel secure that their pitches for future projects get top consideration.

Donald Glover, his brother Stephen, and writer Stefani Robinson all received overall development deals with FX after the first season of Atlanta. This led to the development of a planned animated Deadpool television series but it was axed and Donald has since moved onto a development deal with Amazon Studios, where he’s doing the Mr & Mrs Smith series.

Jerrod Carmichael received a development deal with Sony after The Carmichael Show ended.

Issa Rae & Natasha Rothwell signed development deals with HBO after the first and second seasons of Insecure respectively. That led to Issa having two projects in development with one, Rap shyt, making it to series.

I’m excited to see what other projects Quinta Brunson cooks up in the next few years.