Ab-Soul - These Days (Official Discussion Thread)

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Yo so this leaked? Will get it on deck for the gym tomorrow, opinions seem mixed and even though I wasn't digging the leaks I've still got hopes. Gonna cop that physical for sure.

ineedsleep212

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Album is more of a mix of a Control System straight intellectually inclined street rapper and SOPA inspired Schoolboy Q inspired ratchet rapper. It's intentionally more of a strange mix. I mean Dub Sac and Hunnid Stax sounds like the most ratchet Ab Soul has ever sounded. I'd think it's him showing that he's freer and doesn't take himself as serious as he seemed all the time on Control System even with the small light moments of it.

For those reasons, it might sound a little sloppier in direction I think. I still dig it though :manny:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Album is more of a mix of a Control System straight intellectually inclined street rapper and SOPA inspired Schoolboy Q inspired ratchet rapper. It's intentionally more of a strange mix. I mean Dub Sac and Hunnid Stax sounds like the most ratchet Ab Soul has ever sounded. I'd think it's him showing that he's freer and doesn't take himself as serious as he seemed all the time on Control System even with the small light moments of it.

For those reasons, it might sound a little sloppier in direction I think. I still dig it though :manny:

Perhaps. The fact remains that he recorded this album a LONG time ago (like I think this was done in like 2012 or 2011 along with another album which I think is "Black Lip Pastor") too, there's reason to believe that this might have been recorded before he truly developed into the rapper he actually is today. That could possibly have something to do with it as well.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
This album gonna fly over people's head, too intellectual for the average listener

Let it stay over :camby:

Only tracks that's decent to me are

Tree Of Life

Dub Sac

Just Have Fun (I liked the first half I understood the 3 verse but I didn't like the beat/mood change)

Ride Slow (Minus Danny Brown verse and beat change/Delusional Thomas Verse)

Not saying I had expectations but I thought Soul coulda did better with this album.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
9v4zte8lg953pcd8rf77t54vm.300x225x25.gif

The production just doesn't connect

Control System is absolutely better
i agree, idk who was overlooking the production on this shyt but they missed the mark, beats dont do a good job of capturing a cohesive atmosphere and are underwhelming as hell, sounds like a collection of random tracks, was hoping it'd be more in the direction of Stigmata production and bar-wise

nikka who said this album is gonna fly over people heads needs to gtfoh :camby: Soul is nice but's he's not on the level of soaring over the average listeners head, get over yourself :mjlol:, dont get me wrong he's still dope as hell, but as an avid doom and pre-lasers lupe fan i can honestly say absoul isn't THAT crazy with his metaphors/entendres that it's some other wordly over the head shyt, when nikkas say shyt like that they basically sayin "this the first lyrical nikka i've ever listened to" and it makes you look :snoop:

Last edited:

ineedsleep212

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Perhaps. The fact remains that he recorded this album a LONG time ago (like I think this was done in like 2012 or 2011 along with another album which I think is "Black Lip Pastor") too, there's reason to believe that this might have been recorded before he truly developed into the rapper he actually is today. That could possibly have something to do with it as well.
:dwillhuh: really? Why would fam release an album he made years ago? That's kinda strange b :patrice:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
:ohhh: i wouldn't be surprised if this was the case (not the entire album of course but a good bit of songs sound like he regressed lyrically)

but at the same time im not makin excuses for this album, it's AITE as hell :ld: nikka just made sure that he's always gonna be in that tde supporting cast role

and if Kendrick rappin on his next album like he is on this shyt then he may as well kill himself :camby: the amount of nikkas coming at his neck would be outta control