Ab-Soul - These Days (Official Discussion Thread)

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt definitely gets better each listen.

Already went through it twice, will go for 3 when I go to the gym later.
:king:

It just passed the treadmill test for me :smugbiden:. Some throwaways like sapiosexual, etc. like others have mentioned but its cohesive sounds makes for a nice play

notorious8562

Sine Metu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After one listen, it's pretty uneven. He goes in on a few tracks, but then there's shyt like Twact and Sapiosexual.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
dont get me wrong he's still dope as hell, but as an avid doom and pre-lasers lupe fan i can honestly say absoul isn't THAT crazy with his metaphors/entendres that it's some other wordly over the head shyt, when nikkas say shyt like that they basically sayin "this the first lyrical nikka i've ever listened to" and it makes you look :snoop:
:salute: repped

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'll keep it real, I wanted to like this album because I fukk with his content, but man, this shyt stinks. It's all over the place. There's no cohesion at all, which is weird, because that's something I've come to expect from TDE projects. Sounds like a bunch of tracks thrown together with no rhyme or reason.

There's only like 3 songs I'm feeling. Outside of Jay Rock and Bronson, even the features were wack. Ross and Lupe sounded uninspired and Kendrick was on some Rza shyt on the interlude, not even TRYING to rhyme on beat.
Control System was all over the place in a good way. The production flowed together. He sounded hungry on that album. So much creativity on that project with direction. All the tracks complimented each other through out. On these days dude been hanging with diddy or ross too long. Shyt sounded thrown together with no focus. Ab suppose to be this deep intellectual abstract dude. Maybe I've taking him too serious lol. You would think since GKMC dropped and made them more popular that they would go hard on their albums. They must be eaten good or getting comfortable. I'm not saying school boy q and ab-soul should sound like Kendrick or anything. I'm just saying they should work on making albums better than their last. I'm cool with their style of slow production and hippie cute chicks singing on the hooks and all but throw some bars and cohesive structure on them albums. N1gga sounds lazy on them tracks. :camby: :trash: Bin status mayne

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
That Kendrick Verse tho :banderas::whew:

Kdot is coming back with a fukking vengeance this Fall/Winter:ohlawd:

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
LMAO that 'I Don't Like' flow on Feelin Us was hilarious. Tell me that Jay Rock verse wasn't fire too.

bruh and when that Twact beat hit it had me like :ooh:

everything after Dub Sac was too damn good

BRUH AND HIS FLOW ON THE SECOND HALF OF JUST HAVE FUN :ohlawd:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
:dwillhuh: really? Why would fam release an album he made years ago? That's kinda strange b :patrice:

Said Top Dawg kept holdin on to it. He sent in two albums at the same time, and Top Dawg had planned to have a "TDE year" so he held on to it until after the other members put our their projects. That's why he was upset with him and was talkin about leakin his album before release.

:ohhh: i wouldn't be surprised if this was the case (not the entire album of course but a good bit of songs sound like he regressed lyrically)

but at the same time im not makin excuses for this album, it's AITE as hell :ld: nikka just made sure that he's always gonna be in that tde supporting cast role

and if Kendrick rappin on his next album like he is on this shyt then he may as well kill himself :camby: the amount of nikkas coming at his neck would be outta control

No, I feel you, I'm not makin excuses either. Several tracks on it are :ld: and some flow hard as hell, but I'm thinking the ones that are average are the ones that are much older, such as Tree of Life. Kendrick's Interlude was just a homage to Ab-Soul's Outro though don't look too far into it.

MilesTeg

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I bet TDE wanted to do a "big" Ab-Soul album, like Schoolboy Q's. A lot of promotion. Big name features, big name producers. A concept.

But Ab-Soul was a little salty about getting the album out. Didn't want to wait like Q for a year or whatever. He felt like he had a project done and it was album worthy and let's put the shyt out. We all saw the Tweets - he was threatening to leak it himself.

That might explain why it is what is. We expected something on the scale of Q's, but it wasn't intended to be that. Maybe the next one will be bigger.

b@squ1@t

I AM THE GOLDEN GOD
Daps
just got it...bout to check it out...not really expectin much tho...hopefully ill be surprised