Aaliyah vs. Beyonce

Who you got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

invalid

Banned
Daps
Yes, she was on her way.

She had The Matrix sequels, Sparkle, Honey, and she did a reading for A Star Is Born.

If you didn't like her acting that's fine but being in those Matrix sequels would have put her on a new level.

Brehs, part of the issue is that we’re using different measurements. Y’all talking about projects she had lined up, I’m talking about her actual talent, which was mediocre at best. And that’s fine because good singers rarely make good actors.

Beyoncé was one of the main characters in Dreamgirls which won two Oscars. Just because you are in (or were going to be in) high profile projects (re: Aaliyah and the Matrix), does not a good actor make. The next big thing Beyoncé is in is what? The upcoming Lion King? And guess, we won’t see her-lol, and I doubt, in that time, she’s transformed into Angela Bassett.

The only part of this post that’s accurate is the last part. Well, maybe not. They could have occupied the same lane. I don’t know why you nikkas act like there can only be room for one massive star at a time.

DMX
Junior Mafia
Missy
Timbaland
Magoo
Nas
R Kelly
Treach
DaBrat
Slick Rick
Jermaine Dupree

Who is really still poppin in 2019? Though, I’m sure Timbaland and Missy are probably still writing/producing. Aaliyah would have probably moved into that space in 2019.

I’m not one to believe there is only room for one massive star at a time. But Aaliyah and Beyoncé occupied two different lanes. If Aaliyah was alive today, her and Beyoncé would not be competing for the same space. Aaliyah occupied a whole other subset of R&B that is more experimental and alternative. I would group her more with acts like FKA Twigs or even a Kelis. Beyoncé is in a whole different realm and is more or less the successor of Tina Turner and other great performing female acts of the past. Aaliyah was not nor would have ever been in that lane. For one, her vocals, at the time of her death, was just not there.

TheDarkCloud

Superstar
Daps
Brehs, part of the issue is that we’re using different measurements. Y’all talking about projects she had lined up, I’m talking about her actual talent, which was mediocre at best. And that’s fine because good singers rarely make good actors.

Beyoncé was one of the main characters in Dreamgirls which won two Oscars. Just because you are in (or were going to be in) high profile projects (re: Aaliyah and the Matrix), does not a good actor make. The next big thing Beyoncé is in is what? The upcoming Lion King? And guess, we won’t see her-lol, and I doubt, in that time, she’s transformed into Angela Bassett.

DMX
Junior Mafia
Missy
Timbaland
Magoo
Nas
R Kelly
Treach
DaBrat
Slick Rick
Jermaine Dupree

Who is really still poppin in 2019? Though, I’m sure Timbaland and Missy are probably still writing/producing. Aaliyah would have probably moved into that space in 2019.

I’m not one to believe there is only room for one massive star at a time. But Aaliyah and Beyoncé occupied two different lanes. If Aaliyah was alive today, her and Beyoncé would not be competing for the same space. Aaliyah occupied a whole other subset of R&B that is more experimental and alternative. I would group her more with acts like FKA Twigs or even a Kelis. Beyoncé is in a whole different realm and is more or less the successor of Tina Turner and other great performing female acts of the past. Aaliyah was not nor would have ever been in that lane. For one, her vocals, at the time of her death, was just not there.

Queen Of The Damned was only her second movie. Da fukk. Were you expecting her to be Katharine Hepburn status after only acting in two films?? She was still progressing and had so much further to go. The greatest actors/actresses didn’t start out doing Oscar winning performances.

This is the shyt I be talking about with you nikkas. The vitriol y’all have for Aaliyah clouds your judgement. And I do not understand the hate at all. She was easily the least problematic artist that was out there. Humble, loved her fans, beautiful, and paid homage. I don’t understand where the hate comes from at all but whatever.

And just an FYI - Aaliyah and BeYAWNce were basically the same lane. YAWNce wanted to crossover and be the same type of triple threat her Queen Aaliyah was.

Daps
Like these dudes claiming Nipsey was their favorite rapper and I ain’t even heard of the nikka until he died.

I can’t believe brehs got me in here defending Beyoncé like I’m @Killmonger. :russ:

Not sure why you’re even wasting your time. For one you know the coli hates Beyoncé, I mean dude came in here and marginalized a 2 1/2 hour stage performance by using a 2 second gif as his proof that she’s not a good performer
:beli:

Look at every music star from 95-00, none of them are popular right now, none of them, but we’re supposed to believe that a mediocre dancer with below average vocals would be on top right now
:comeon:

And truth be told Brandy was the real solo R&B queen of that era, where is she now?

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Aaliyah had good songs that I still like Beyonce ain't had a song I liked since 2003 so I choose Aaliyah...everything about Beyonce is over produced to me.....but I do respect that she's held it down for damn near 20 yrs as a solo artist ...look at Taylor Swift she wants that crown sooooo bad...even tho she has the white crowd on lock she wants what Beyonce has

TheDarkCloud

Superstar
Daps
Like these dudes claiming Nipsey was their favorite rapper and I ain’t even heard of the nikka until he died.

I can’t believe brehs got me in here defending Beyoncé like I’m @Killmonger. :russ:

Most reasonable people will call Mary J the GOAT of that era and reasonably so. I ain’t mad.

But I don’t know why y’all think Aaliyah can’t have fans that go hard for her. :mjlol: I said this in another thread but it’s literally only nikkas that are so critical of Aaliyah. I NEVER EVER see Latinos go in this much on Selena. Latinos are going to protect their Queen. :mjlol:

Damn shame.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Aaliyah was a good artist..... That's about it.
She would be Ciara today if she was alive. Not all time great like Beyonce.

Her music didn't age well. You don't hear her music literally anywhere.

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
Easily Beyonce :what:
Beyonce a top 4 beauty in the world, got way more hits and classics, better vocal chops, better performer, and has a legitimately amazing album in Lemonade :yeshrug:
That being said imma name my first daughter Aaliyah :mjcry:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Queen Of The Damned was only her second movie. Da fukk. Were you expecting her to be Katharine Hepburn status after only acting in two films??

No. But I expected more than this.

giphy.gif

4J8Qb1.gif

The vitriol y’all have for Aaliyah clouds your judgement. And I do not understand the hate at all.

I have not seen anyone here hate on Aaliyah. What I have seen is people being objective. Beyonce gets more vitriol than she does. And LOL at clouded judgements. That has been the summation of all your post. I at least gave you my logic on why I favor Beyonce over Aaliyah. You haven't given any logic or forms of measurement that we can make predictions off of.

But I don’t know why y’all think Aaliyah can’t have fans that go hard for her. :mjlol: I said this in another thread but it’s literally only nikkas that are so critical of Aaliyah. I NEVER EVER see Latinos go in this much on Selena. Latinos are going to protect their Queen. :mjlol:

Latinos are not as talented as blacks. So comparing us to them is just as queer as someone comparing Aaliyah to Beyonce. We can critique our artist with a finer comb because we have higher talent and higher standards.

Look at every music star from 95-00, none of them are popular right now, none of them, but we’re supposed to believe that a mediocre dancer with below average vocals would be on top right now
:comeon:

Exactly.

Last edited: