"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
I hope Pacific Rim does well because Boyega's not only starring in it, he's producing it as the first big investment of the production company he started with Femi Oguns.

So if it succeeds a black-owned film production company succeeds and can hopefully continue making big-budget black-led pictures.
Yeah I hope it works out but the 1st barely broke even and that was mainly cause of China.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It's not about respecting the source material; it's about trying to straddle the fence and losing both sides in the process.

If she had been able to make the entire cast black and truly transform WiT into a black franchise, she would have gotten some of the same support from the black community as the people who are turning out in droves to support Black Panther despite not even being superhero movie fans. Purely because it demonstrates a revolutionary effort at increased black representation in blockbuster film.

But instead, the movie is not exciting black people because its leads are all white and biracial characters (Gugu, Pine, and Storm Reid). And it's still getting the same backlash from white people for not being entirely white as Fantastic 4 did.

So it's losing on both sides.

The problem was not changing the race; it was not going far enough. Ava's a black director, and she's woke: You know she's not settling for directing no 100% lily-white films to "respect the source material".

But the compromise she had to settle for to get this made is not going to get her the support she hoped for.

Then she shouldn't have done it. If the book was hard to turn into a movie from the jump AND you couldn't pull off the vision you wanted, then that's a double wammy.

Me and my fam are gonna see it next Saturday (our Dentist gave out free tickets for the fam) :yeshrug:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I hope Pacific Rim does well because Boyega's not only starring in it, he's producing it as the first big investment of the production company he started with Femi Oguns.

So if it succeeds a black-owned film production company succeeds and can hopefully continue making big-budget black-led pictures.
don't hold your breath, man. by all accounts it seems like Pacific Rim fandom is blown out of proportion and i can't imagine millions are licking their chops waiting for this one. Asians might get it back to even.

Boyega is cool, but the co-lead is that block of wood Scott Eastwood. Might be the only white "action" looking dude working who is less appealing than Charlie Hunnam. it's an "international" cast, but it's a bad one.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Poor Ava. :(

I wanted this movie to do well because I want Ava to win.

And I don't blame her for the racial makeup of the family in the film. I bet she wanted an all-black family but producers made her compromise with a mixed one. We have to remember she didn't have a Nate Moore in her corner like Coogler did.

Good lord. She PASSED on Black Panther to make this film. If it's basura, let her own it.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Some times the path to victory is the easiest path.
They say visually she crushed it. Just damn...this was a difficult story to turn into a 2 hour film (or whatever the run time is)

Just hope it still gets decent/good enough reviews. Don't want Hollywood to shun her if it flops. You know how they do..

I don't know how they sold her on tackling one of the most difficult books to turn to film...something she never read prior to agreeing...:patrice:

Last edited:

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA

They say visually she crushed it. Just damn...this was a difficult story to turn into a 2 hour film (or whatever the run time is)

Just hope it still gets decent/good enough reviews. Don't want Hollywood to shun her if it flops. You know how they do..

I don't know how they sold her on tackling one of the most difficult books to turn to film...something she never read prior to agreeing...:patrice:

visuals mean nada if u bored af through the film

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
This is why I'm genuinely baffled when people are saying "Ava was too militant for BP that's why she's doing a Wrinkle in Time." From the themes to the casting to the symbolism BP is the blackest blockbuster we've possibly ever seen. WIT looks light as fukk and probably has nowhere near the amount of symbolism and themes BP has. Not even gonna bring up the casting.
Who in the hell said that?:heh:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
@Dr. Narcisse What i don't get is, why did they do a hard adaptation if the source material was so difficult to translate to film? :why: It seems like this was an L from the second the final script was approved.

Granted, i'm not sure i've ever heard of "a wrinkle in time" before this movie announcement, much less know the plot. It's one of those names that sounds kinda familiar but clearly i missed that ship during my lion king/aladdin watching days as a kid.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Seems like it’s ok at best. Maybe it might do better internationally.

March might be full of duds though. This, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and maybe Ready Player One.

Yeah March ain't looking too good. I think RPO might do well :yeshrug:

Still gonna see TR, PR, and RPO.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

@Dr. Narcisse What i don't get is, why did they do a hard adaptation if the source material was so difficult to translate to film? :why: It seems like this was an L from the second the final script was approved.

Granted, i'm not sure i've ever heard of "a wrinkle in time" before this movie announcement, much less know the plot. It's one of those names that sounds kinda familiar but clearly i missed that ship during my lion king/aladdin watching days as a kid.
I gotta think after turning down BP she still was scrambling to get a 100 million dollar kind of feature. Probably should have just waited, but there's only so few opportunities.

I still think she could do a dope comic book movie or Star Wars. It really doesn't sound like an Ava problem, but picking something no one else would touch..
Just hope she still gets a chance. :manny:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Knew it. You could tell by the trailers....

Hopefully it works out for her. Her 1st big budget movie potentially being a flop...

However looking at the upcoming movie theater releases.... the movie might do good as a march family flick. Unless BP continues to steamroll :yeshrug: