"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
It's not about respecting the source material; it's about trying to straddle the fence and losing both sides in the process.

If she had been able to make the entire cast black and truly transform WiT into a black franchise, she would have gotten some of the same support from the black community as the people who are turning out in droves to support Black Panther despite not even being superhero movie fans. Purely because it demonstrates a revolutionary effort at increased black representation in blockbuster film.

But instead, the movie is not exciting black people because its leads are all white and biracial characters (Gugu, Pine, and Storm Reid). And it's still getting the same backlash from white people for not being entirely white as Fantastic 4 did.

So it's losing on both sides.

The problem was not changing the race; it was not going far enough. Ava's a black director, and she's woke: You know she's not settling for directing no 100% lily-white films to "respect the source material".

But the compromise she had to settle for to get this made is not going to get her the support she hoped for.
Its entirely about respecting the source material, that is why they IP was purchased/licensed in the first place. You respect it or you don't, you don't you lose money, this is proven repeatedly in Hollywood.

The movie should have never had a entire black cast, didn't need it, just need a faithful reinterpretation of the book, period. Its not a book about black people, changing it from what it was allienates the audience you wanted when you got the IP, terrible decision.

Its losing because its following the tired strain of forced multi-culturalism for the same of multi-culturalism. Black people read wrinkle in time and liked it for what it was, again you have fans of the book and series, respect the source material.

They released a trailer that looks nothing like the imagery described in the books and lacking the tone. On top of the forced faux diversity interracial shyt, that black and white people are tired of. This movie is the personification of everything wrong with Hollywood today.

She could have done something with this movie if she would have just respected the material, she didn't and it has hurt her career doubly, in that she turned down Black Panter for it and that it is a poor adaption.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
What’s so difficult about adapting the source material? Never read it so somebody school me
Its not a bright and colorful movie, the characters are rough to get into, the story as it begins is sort of off kilter, and the atagonists and drama are really action heavy. Its more character based, probably because it was for girls. So its a hard movie to put out there and visualize being a good movie.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Seems like it’s ok at best. Maybe it might do better internationally.

March might be full of duds though. This, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and maybe Ready Player One.
March will have major flops. Last year was Logan and Beauty and the Beast. I smell 3 or 4 flops

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
March will have major flops. Last year was Logan and Beauty and the Beast. I smell 3 or 4 flops

I think Ready Player One will be the “Big” one for March, although I have no desire whatsoever to see it.

Pacific Rim could be a sleeper. I HOPE it does well because for God’s sake I wanna see John Boyega win after the bullshyt Star Wars puts him through. It’ll probably be a bigger international hit than a domestic one.

Tomb Raider looks like absolute bullshyt. But I wasn’t a fan of the previous movies nor the game so it might just be me

doublex

Pro
Daps
Its entirely about respecting the source material, that is why they IP was purchased/licensed in the first place. You respect it or you don't, you don't you lose money, this is proven repeatedly in Hollywood.

The movie should have never had a entire black cast, didn't need it, just need a faithful reinterpretation of the book, period. Its not a book about black people, changing it from what it was allienates the audience you wanted when you got the IP, terrible decision.

Its losing because its following the tired strain of forced multi-culturalism for the same of multi-culturalism. Black people read wrinkle in time and liked it for what it was, again you have fans of the book and series, respect the source material.

They released a trailer that looks nothing like the imagery described in the books and lacking the tone. On top of the forced faux diversity interracial shyt, that black and white people are tired of. This movie is the personification of everything wrong with Hollywood today.

She could have done something with this movie if she would have just respected the material, she didn't and it has hurt her career doubly, in that she turned down Black Panter for it and that it is a poor adaption.

Your use of "respect the source material" is nothing but code for "respect the whiteness of the original characters."

Why should we? Does their whiteness have anything to do with the plot of the book? No.

So fukk "respecting" it.

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Your use of "respect the source material" is nothing but code for "respect the whiteness of the original characters."

Why should we? Does their whiteness have anything to do with the plot of the book? If not, then fukk respecting it.
LOL.
Its code for respect the source material. There is no reason to get the property and cahnge it into something it isn't.
Wrinkle in Time isn't a black movie or a black property, people have got to get out of the mindset of trying to make everything black.

As for your logic, what does blackness have to do with the plot of the book? Nothing.
But white skin, red hair, are specifically mentioned in the books. It isn't a story about blacks.
Can't cry about characters being whitewashed and then going out the way to make white characters black for no reason.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
LOL.
Its code for respect the source material. There is no reason to get the property and cahnge it into something it isn't.
Wrinkle in Time isn't a black movie or a black property, people have got to get out of the mindset of trying to make everything black.

As for your logic, what does blackness have to do with the plot of the book? Nothing.
But white skin, red hair, are specifically mentioned in the books. It isn't a story about blacks.
Can't cry about characters being whitewashed and then going out the way to make white characters black for no reason.
Why the fukk not? We're owed reparations for the dozens of WHITEWASHED movies about Egypt and the other 200 fukking movies situated in Africa that only star White actors.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Why the fukk not? We're owed reparations for the dozens of WHITEWASHED movies about Egypt and the other 200 fukking movies situated in Africa that only star White actors.
Black americans don't need to be begging white people for shyt. That is a mindset of a person who views blackness as inferior.
If you want reparations that is petitioned from the government of the USA, not a fukking movie. And copying the same actions you decry makes you a hypocrite.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:jbhmm:
How she got the job making A Wrinkle in Timefor Disney:

AVA DuVERNAY: The interesting thing about this movie is that I did not pitch them, they pitched me. That’s a rare thing. It happened because there were people at Disney that were forward thinking, so I have to tip my hat to them. It’s the same company that asked Taika Waititi to make Thor, that had Ryan Coogler make Panther, and that has Niki Caro as the next woman with a $100 million budget, making Mulan. They’re really doing some interesting things there, so I tip my hat to them. For me, there was a high-ranking black executive there, who’s the VP of production, named Tendo Nagenda. He was the one in the meeting, talking about A Wrinkle in Time. They still can’t tell me how I came into their head. Maybe it’s because there was a girl at the center and they were looking for a woman to do it. I don’t know. I heard they were talking to Tim Burton and some other people. But he saw something in Selma and he, along with Jim Whitaker and Sean Bailey, brought me in to convince me to do the book. I had not read the book and I wasn’t interested in the book ‘cause I hadn’t read it and didn’t know what it was about. I went home that night and read the book, the script and the graphic novel, and I called in the morning and said, “This is mine! No one else can do this book!”

The reason why that meeting went so well – and it speaks to the whole idea of inclusion and diversity in the industry, even though I don’t like the word “diversity” – and I could have a very relaxed, passionate conversation with those guys was because I knew them. I knew Sean Bailey because I sat on the board of Sundance with him. I knew Tendo Nagenda because he’s black and there’s 16 of us in Hollywood. I saw him down the black Hollywood hall and went, “Hey!” So, I knew him through black Hollywood circles. I was able to walk into the room and just have a conversation with them about the work. Usually, I go into the studios and I do, “Hi, I’m me, and this is who I am,” and I present myself because I don’t know them. At that moment, when I walked into Disney for that meeting, I walked into that meeting like a white guy. So many of the people who are the mainstream of this industry know each other or they have similar experiences. They know their wives, or they’re in the same neighborhoods, or they went to the same college. Even if they don’t intimately know each other, they know each other, just like when I walk into a room with black women that I’ve never met and I’m like, “I’ve got you,” because I know them. They’re able to walk into these rooms and my white male counterparts have a comfort there that’s inherent in the privilege of being who they are in this industry. I walk in there and I never have that privilege. I’m always a little step behind, in having to try to prove myself.

Image via Disney

But in this meeting for A Wrinkle in Time, the reason it was so special, from the very beginning, was that I walked in there, they knew me and I knew them, and we sat down and just talked about the work. It wasn’t anything else. It was just the work, in a relaxed environment. That’s how it began. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that more of us are in the room and that we know each other, and we know our counterparts at the studio. They don’t have to look like us, but we can still know each other. There’s something more than quotas, internship programs and checking boxes. It’s knowing each other that makes us feel comfortable, and that’s where we have a long way to go in this industry.

On directing the first project that she didn’t write:

DuVERNAY: When you put your own words on the page, writing what you intend to direct, there’s something really powerful about being a writer and director, for me. So, the prospect of working with someone else’s words and working with a writer, in that way, I didn’t know what it was gonna be like, but Jennifer [Lee] was a dream. We really collaborated to make sure that the script that was there really took Madeline L’Engle’s intention from the novel, which was written in 1963, and what she really meant and updated it. We wanted to make sure that we were capturing her intention, but updating it, so that contemporary audiences could enter into the fantasy in a way that felt vibrant to them. It was a beautiful process with a lot of back and forth. What I wanted to do was have the Mrs. look much different than what they looked like in the book. I wanted them to come to life and change hair and costumes with every planet that they jumped, so we needed a visionary costume designer like Paco Delgado, and we needed the hair, so I had to have Kim Kimble. We infused the costumes and the hair into the script, and reverse-engineered some of the design into the script.

On whether the script changed, in terms of the story in the book:

Image via Disney

DuVERNAY: We wanted to stay true to the book, so the rhythms of the book, the motivations and the general character movements are there. There was some culling down. The book gets really dense in places and we wanted to make sure we had room to support things cinematically. We wanted to see the pretty pictures and not explain so much. We really shaped the story in the editing process that I worked on with Spencer Avarice, my longtime friend and collaborator. We let some things be a little more obtuse, so you can lean in and figure out what things are. That came in the script phase, but also the editing phase, which is also the script phase with picture. There were not a lot of radical departures from the script. The story was all in line.

Ava DuVernay on Why She Made 'A Wrinkle in Time', Choosing the DP and Composer, and More

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
Seeing that folks thought this book couldn’t be translated to film, looks like Ava wanted to flex thinking she could do it.
She probably didn’t think BP was that big of a challenge being that it would have been at least a moderate hit with it being part of the MCU.
She wanted the glory of doing the impossible.

thats women for you.. they wanna climb mount everest just to prove a point, this dumbass feminist era we live in, shorty couldve started small like coogler and earn her stripes ... now this shyt gon flop and all the success of BP wont amount to shyt for blacks.. been told nikkas who thought BP was changing shyt, nothing was ever gonna happen

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Poor Ava. :(

I wanted this movie to do well because I want Ava to win.

And I don't blame her for the racial makeup of the family in the film. I bet she wanted an all-black family but producers made her compromise with a mixed one. We have to remember she didn't have a Nate Moore in her corner like Coogler did.

This is who Ava got as an executive producer:

MV5BNzMwMjY3MjAzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1NjM0MTE@._V1_UY317_CR25,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Douglas C. Merrifield, the same guy who produced 47 Ronin; the samurai movie where 90%-white Keanu Reeves was made the lead character.
Doubtful. Ava has constantly cast biracials in her previous films. As you can see in this one she even cast a biracial to play the mother of a biracial.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Doubtful. Ava has constantly cast biracials in her previous films. As you can see in this one she even cast a biracial to play the mother of a biracial.
Talk about it here.

Gugu also said earlier in the interview that she joined because Storm looked just like her and when she was young she didn't see girls who looked like her who saved the world and were heroes.

I still view them as black girls/women :yeshrug:

However, the interviewer highlighting how she is biracial is undercutting the fact Ava and Storm wants it known that a black girl is saving the world. :gucci: