"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Why did Ava choose to direct one of the most difficult books to turn into a film. :why:

I also think when translating a film like this its difficult to do so when managing all the other projects she works on. :francis:

These are just early reactions tho. Doesn't speak for all. :lupe:

doublex

Pro
Daps
Hearing from folks that seen it that a wrinkle in Time that it was blah/ not good

Poor Ava. :(

I wanted this movie to do well because I want Ava to win.

And I don't blame her for the racial makeup of the family in the film. I bet she wanted an all-black family but producers made her compromise with a mixed one. We have to remember she didn't have a Nate Moore in her corner like Coogler did.

This is who Ava got as an executive producer:

MV5BNzMwMjY3MjAzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1NjM0MTE@._V1_UY317_CR25,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Douglas C. Merrifield, the same guy who produced 47 Ronin; the samurai movie where 90%-white Keanu Reeves was made the lead character.

Last edited:

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Seems like it’s ok at best. Maybe it might do better internationally.

March might be full of duds though. This, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and maybe Ready Player One.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Poor Ava. :(

I wanted this movie to do well because I want Ava to win.

And I don't blame her for the racial makeup of the family in the film. I bet she wanted an all-black family but producers made her compromise with a mixed one. We have to remember she didn't have a Nate Moore in her corner like Coogler did.
Well it was a terrible mistake to take a known property and change the race of the characters just to be different. That is off putting to the people you were hoping to attract to the show who were established fans, the fans you wanted when you bought the property and kept the name the same.

Hollywood people really have to fight hard to get out of the bubble they are trapped in. respect the source material.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Well it was a terrible mistake to take a known property and change the race of the characters just to be different. That is off putting to the people you were hoping to attract to the show who were established fans, the fans you wanted when you bought the property and kept the name the same.

Hollywood people really have to fight hard to get out of the bubble they are trapped in. respect the source material.

It's not about respecting the source material; it's about trying to straddle the fence and losing both sides in the process.

If she had been able to make the entire cast black and truly transform WiT into a black franchise, she would have gotten some of the same support from the black community as the people who are turning out in droves to support Black Panther despite not even being superhero movie fans. Purely because it demonstrates a revolutionary effort at increased black representation in blockbuster film.

But instead, the movie is not exciting black people because its leads are all white and biracial characters (Gugu, Pine, and Storm Reid). And it's still getting the same backlash from white people for not being entirely white as Fantastic 4 did.

So it's losing on both sides.

The problem was not changing the race; it was not going far enough. Ava's a black director, and she's woke: You know she's not settling for directing no 100% lily-white films to "respect the source material".

But the compromise she had to settle for to get this made is not going to get her the support she hoped for.

Last edited:

doublex

Pro
Daps
:lawd: can't wait. Loved the first one

I hope Pacific Rim does well because Boyega's not only starring in it, he's producing it as the first big investment of the production company he started with Femi Oguns.

So if it succeeds a black-owned film production company succeeds and can hopefully continue making big-budget black-led pictures.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Seems like it’s ok at best. Maybe it might do better internationally.

March might be full of duds though. This, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and maybe Ready Player One.
The first qtr of the year was never the time for hits until like recently with deadpool and get out

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Seeing that folks thought this book couldn’t be translated to film, looks like Ava wanted to flex thinking she could do it.
She probably didn’t think BP was that big of a challenge being that it would have been at least a moderate hit with it being part of the MCU.
She wanted the glory of doing the impossible.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Seeing that folks thought this book couldn’t be translated to film, looks like Ava wanted to flex thinking she could do it.
She probably didn’t think BP was that big of a challenge being that it would have been at least a moderate hit with it being part of the MCU.
She wanted the glory of doing the impossible.

Some times the path to victory is the easiest path.