"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is it really? When I first saw the trailer it made me think that they didn't want to put too many black people in it so that they wouldn't scare off the white audience. Now it looks even worse now that Black Panther is out and doing numbers :yeshrug:

Yep this here. Its like they put a toe in the water and black panther jumped right in the pool.

Black folks probably won't come out in force for this movie. It just looks like token shyt when compared with BP. Especially when BP got a whole cast of sistas and brothas doing hero shyt. Hell shuri is like a 16 year old super genius in the movie.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ava and Coogler share an office. I'm sure she and Disney execs are going to call in the BP family to promote this. Getting some promo from Chadwick, Lipita & MBJ could do nothing but help this since their popularity is at an all time high.

I am sure they will but they also have to promote BP overseas too because it will be opening or has just started opening in other countries.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
They let Coogler drop sooooo many social and political themes that I'm wondering what the hell Ava was saying that they were shook from. :ohhh:

She might have wanted to keep the movie only in Wakanda and wasn't with the "Panther vs. Panther" story line in the 3rd act:jbhmm:

Might not have wanted Ross either :hubie:
If she wanted all that, why make biracial Wrinkle in Time?

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
Yep this here. Its like they put a toe in the water and black panther jumped right in the pool.

Black folks probably won't come out in force for this movie. It just looks like token shyt when compared with BP. Especially when BP got a whole cast of sistas and brothad doing hero shyt. Hell shuri is like a 16 year old super genius in the movie.
Meg's family is also full of super-geniuses. It's how Dad got stuck in Camazotz in the first place. And then her boyfriend is also a super-genius ... but he comes from a broken home. The book about Murdoc goes a little into the tragedy of his mother and father's relationship before and after shyt hit the fan. But only a little.

Looking at the cast ... Dad is white, Sandy and Denys are white, Calvin is white, mom is Africa black, and Charles Wallace is biracial Filipino (!).

Couldn't even cast a little black or biracial black boy as the most brilliant kid in the universr. They got a cac-Filipino with good hair. WTF?

Maybe the movie will be great. We'll see.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Meg's family is also full of super-geniuses. It's how Dad got stuck in Camazotz in the first place. And then her boyfriend is also a super-genius ... but he comes from a broken home. The book about Murdoc goes a little into the tragedy of his mother and father's relationship before and after shyt hit the fan. But only a little.

Looking at the cast ... Dad is white, Sandy and Denys are white, Calvin is white, mom is Africa black, and Charles Wallace is biracial Filipino (!).

Couldn't even cast a little black or biracial black boy as the most brilliant kid in the universr. They got a cac-Filipino with good hair. WTF?

Yes book wise the family are genuis. But like I said it is mostly a white cast in the movie. Disney can pander all they want but this shyt barely making a splash. But BP got a whole screen full of black folks. A 16 year old girl who is a genius makes all the tech for her brother and her country. You got a black queen and princess. Black female general and soldiers. Prince got a love interest who is a sista and a agent. Plus these sistas aren't the stereotypical light bright and damn near white that hollywood likes to use.

Comparing black panther to a wrinkle in time from a black female point of view this shyt is FSU vs Temple in a football game blow out. And I ain't saying this just to be saying it. I got sistas I work with and nieces and they like forget wrinkle in time. I am going to see BP 2, 3 4, or 5 times.

Oh and you right how these movies and tv shows try to eliminate black males and relationships between black men and black women.

Last edited:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Yes book wise the family are genuis. But like I said it is mostly a white cast in the movie. Disney can pander all they want but this shyt barely making a splash. But BP got a whole screen full of black folks. A 16 year old girl who is a genius makes all the tech for her brotha and her country. You got a black queen and princess. Black female general and soldiers. Prince got a love interest who is a sista and a agent. Plus these sistas aren't the stereotypical light bright and damn near white that hollywood likes to use.

Comparing black panther to a wrinkle in time from a black female point of view this shyt is FSU vs Temple in football blow out time. And I ain't saying this just to be saying. I got sistas I work with and nieces and they like forget wrinkle in time. I am going to see BP 2, 3 4, or 5 times.

Oh and you right how these movies and tv shows try to eliminate black males and relationships between black men and women.

Everything, especially the bolded. White media is trying to hard to push White males as leading love interests, look what type of message this sends young black girls if you take your daughter to see this movie. Black girl on a mission to save white dad. Risking life to save white dad. Going on an adventure to save white dad. Along with having a white love interest to do so. It’s telling my daughter that white males are great companions and are worthy to be chased. Do what you can to chase him.

Haven’t seen the trailer but I bet the bm is not a positive character at all. Or somewhat feminize. And you got pandering male moist feminists like @Versa who is telling that we, as black men, should support film. Nah b, I would take my daughter to see bw FIGHT white men not chase him (there’s subtle problems with BP but that’s for another thread). You cannot tell me to champion a film that leaves out black men and have black girl chase white males (young black girls cannot tell is she’s black or not, that’s the point).

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
I haven't read the books, but I thought the trailers looked decent enough. The fam wants to see it, so I'm sure I'll go at least once to take them.

She is? Not that I don't believe it, but what's the word on her with that? What she say/do?
it was something i read years ago about her experience while filming freeway. Always thought she said ****** way too easily in that flick too :mjpls:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They let Coogler drop sooooo many social and political themes that I'm wondering what the hell Ava was saying that they were shook from. :ohhh:

Yeah, it is interesting to see why she backed out considering how much leeway they gave with Coolger and especially how Killmonger was presented (Marvel even went back on Vulture to making him look less "empathetic" as a villain). And it also had a big budget for a non-stark origin film. She really must of wanted to go left field.:jbhmm:

Jards

All Star
Daps

This is why I'm genuinely baffled when people are saying "Ava was too militant for BP that's why she's doing a Wrinkle in Time." From the themes to the casting to the symbolism BP is the blackest blockbuster we've possibly ever seen. WIT looks light as fukk and probably has nowhere near the amount of symbolism and themes BP has. Not even gonna bring up the casting.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I feel you but the movie is based off a book where the lead character is white.

They spun that it to the main character being half black and also gave the control a to a black woman as director.

I think we should be supporting this movie.

Nah im good. Tired of these racially ambiguous black people being cast and then used to promote how much 'progress' is being made.

When Ava directs a movie with multiple black main characters I'll pay to watch it twice, but im good on this.