"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
naw, they could have done more. not for me. every tv show/movie with a Black woman at the helm seems to involve some sort of Black female/white male dynamic. eliminating Black males from any importance. I'm not with it.
Exactly. The biracial girl has a white father, not a black father which could have been way more positive. They are playing it safe by not making the girl full black and having two black parents but still having her chase a wm instead of a bm. Like bm are not worth it. But you were quoting a male feminist and I called him out several times so of course he won’t see it.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I can't believe Ryan Coogler only got the job because she said no. Wow.

Really glad she said no then.
I've watched BP 4 times now and everytime in the previews they've showed Ava's sneak peak of AWIT, and everytime afterwards i've thanked Bast that she said no to Black Panther.

Which isn't to say I think Ava isnt talented but BP was just so perfect and AWIT looks so ehhh (so far) that I'm glad the chips fell the way they did as a comic fan

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I've watched BP 4 times now and everytime in the previews they've showed Ava's sneak peak of AWIT, and everytime afterwards i've thanked Bast that she said no to Black Panther.

Which isn't to say I think Ava isnt talented but BP was just so perfect and AWIT looks so ehhh (so far) that I'm glad the chips fell the way they did as a comic fan
In fairness to Ava she might have had a dope BP idea. I love the movie too, but its not because of the action. So she could have killed it with a more character driven story as well.

I think she just did this movie here for the hell of it. Got caught up in making a black girl the hero instead of focusing on the scope of the story itself. BP and Wrinkle in Time are two different things. She showed with Selma she can do the Black ensemble where everyone shines. This here...

Its weird cause it looks like she got more cinematography freedom than Coogler did. Those shots from Bradford Young (black guy) look incredible its just the movie itself looks meh.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
In fairness to Ava she might have had a dope BP idea. I love the movie too, but its not because of the action. So she could have killed it with a more character driven story as well.

I think she just did this movie here for the hell of it. Got caught up in making a black girl the hero instead of focusing on the scope of the story itself. BP and Wrinkle in Time are two different things. She showed with Selma she can do the Black ensemble where everyone shines. This here...

Its weird cause it looks like she got more cinematography freedom than Coogler did. Those shots from Bradford Young (black guy) look incredible its just the movie itself looks meh.
Bradford Young did Selma but not this. He just did the Han Solo movie though.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't read the books, but I thought the trailers looked decent enough. The fam wants to see it, so I'm sure I'll go at least once to take them.

Not interest in it but I hope it succeeds....i do find it funny that reese Witherspoon who is supposedly racist af is in this :mjlol:

She is? Not that I don't believe it, but what's the word on her with that? What she say/do?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I can't believe Ryan Coogler only got the job because she said no. Wow.

Really glad she said no then.

I for one was extremely interested in what her take would’ve been. Of course I’m ECSTATIC that Coogler got the gig but I think Ava surely would’ve made a worthy (albeit different) type of Black Panther flick

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I for one was extremely interested in what her take would’ve been. Of course I’m ECSTATIC that Coogler got the gig but I think Ava surely would’ve made a worthy (albeit different) type of Black Panther flick
They let Coogler drop sooooo many social and political themes that I'm wondering what the hell Ava was saying that they were shook from. :ohhh:

She might have wanted to keep the movie only in Wakanda and wasn't with the "Panther vs. Panther" story line in the 3rd act:jbhmm:

Might not have wanted Ross either :hubie: