"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Weekend Box Office: 'Wrinkle in Time' Stumbles With $33M; 'Black Panther' No. 1 With $41M

Ava DuVernay's A Wrinkle in Time was unable to defeat Black Panther after opening to a muted $33.3 million from 3,980 theaters in North America.

Both Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time — the latter based on Madeleine L'Engle's beloved book and targeting young girls — have been heralded for their diversity, both in front of and behind the camera.

For Disney, the weekend was a double-edged sword, since it's home to both films. Wrinkle in Time, costing $103 million to make before marketing, is the first major miss domestically for the studio since The BFG and Alice Through the Looking Glass in 2016. Wrinkle in Time, targeting young girls, was hampered by poor word of mouth following generally bad reviews and a B CinemaScore.

Conversely, Black Panther continued to dazzle, earning $41.1 million from 3,942 locations to score one of the best fourth weekends of all time. The movie, upping its domestic total to $562 million, is now the No. 2 superhero pic of all time behind Marvel's The Avengers. Also over the weekend, Ryan Coogler's superhero film bounded past the $1 billion mark at the global box office after landing in its final foreign market, China, where it debuted to a stellar $66.5 million, among the top five launches ever for a superhero pic.

According to comScore/Screen Engine, Wrinkle in Time's audience was 17 percent African-American, compared to 37 percent for Black Panther on opening weekend. Caucasians made up the largest share of Wrinkle's audience (56 percent), followed by Hispanics (20 percent). Asians made up 5 percent and Native American/other, 3 percent.

Nearly 60 percent of ticket buyers were female, while a hefty 57 percent were under the age of 25.

@Dr. Narcisse

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was she Jaden Smith bad?

I dont have anything else to compare her performance to but besides looking mopey and crying she just looked medicated and robotic most of the movie. Like a corny lifetime movie and they would play sappy pop songs to let u know “hey this is a moment when she is down on herself”

Anybody over 18 watching this without a kid is gay as fukk. Def a take one for the family ass movie that makes your mind wander

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Well add this to the list of live action movies that aren’t Marvel/Star Wars/Princess remake that cost Disney to lose money.

John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland and now this.

Luckily it’s much cheaper than those other 3 films and Disney won’t take much of a hit.

ComorianKid

Banned
Daps
Reppin
East Africa
you lot are some cornballs, bringing down a black woman who has done alot for the community, fuk yall c00ns.

I hope you sambos know that when one black directer so called "fails", it limits opportunities for black directors in the future. fukk yall armchair militant fakkits.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
And I'm :dead: at the "absentee father" angle. The father was trapped in another dimension.

Fred.
Just got back from seeing it.

The opening scene is a montage of the father being a loving devoted father, teaching his daughter about science and shyt.

That absentee father angle is a copout.

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I'm going to see it now. There's definitely an agenda to sink this movie afoot

Review: 'A Wrinkle In Time' Delivers Weird, Fun, And Heartfelt Family Entertainment

Forbes reviews A Wrinkle in Time. Mostly box office analysis, with a little actual movie review thrown in, you know, because it’s supposed to be a movie review.

The single most telling paragraph:

Of the 33 “rotten” reviews of the film at the time of this writing, 91% were from white film critics, 83% of which were specifically white men. Meanwhile, more than half of the positive reviews were from women critics, and about 20% were from persons on color of both genders. You can look at these numbers and pretend it doesn’t matter, pretend there’s no message or lesson to be gleaned from it, but frankly such reactions are simply further demonstration of a lack of self-awareness of – or, more often, an overt refusal to listen and/or admit to – white privilege and male privilege institutionalized even within journalism, including corners of journalism that like to fool themselves into believing their opinions are magically free of such problems that run rampant throughout the rest of society and workplaces.

White male reviewers hate it, everyone else says it’s wonderful. Best recommendation I can think of.

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got a lot of love and respect for Ava but this shyt was terrible.

I read the book. Its an easy read but I don't think it translates well on the big screen. There's just a lot going on in the book. I give her props for trying though.

The story felt incredibly rushed and yet dragging along at the same time. The comedic beats were off. No one in my auditorium laughed during comedic parts. I think Galifianakis had the one good laugh with the "baritone" line. Which had me sitting there thinking like damn, you know its bad when Galifianakis' comedic ability is barely translating. I think the score was part of the problem too, idk I just feel like it didn't mesh during certain parts of the film.

I hope she isn't judged too harshly by the studios for this effort and continues to be offered great projects with big budgets because she's still a fantastic director.

Edit: gotta add that the kid that place Charles Wallace was terrible :russ::yeshrug:. He just wouldn't enunciate at all and didn't come off as smart as he's supposed be. I liked what they were going for with his character and how it differs from the book but it just wasn't executed well imo

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I got a lot of love and respect for Ava but this shyt was terrible.

I read the book. Its an easy read but I don't think it translates well on the big screen. There's just a lot going on in the book. I give her props for trying though.

The story felt incredibly rushed and yet dragging along at the same time. The comedic beats were off. No one in my auditorium laughed during comedic parts. I think Galifianakis had the one good laugh with the "baritone" line. Which had me sitting there thinking like damn, you know its bad when Galifianakis' comedic ability is barely translating. I think the score was part of the problem too, idk I just feel like it didn't mesh during certain parts of the film.

I hope she isn't judged too harshly by the studios for this effort and continues to be offered great projects with big budgets because she's still a fantastic director
I agree. It really is an all-around failure from everyone involved.

Even setting aside the script and directing, the score especially was very underwhelming. The moments that are supposed to feel adventurous and magical don't have the necessary poignant music to help elevate the scene and make it feel like you're going on a grand adventure.

I was also especially let down by the art direction; the designs of the planets, the way time and space distorts, the way they travel, costumes, designs of the creatures, design of the villains, etc. No real imagination put into any of it. I thought it would be more trippy and out of this world. But everything feels so bland and generic. Colorful, but color alone doesn't create beauty or atmosphere.

Enough people have touched on the story and directing so I won't beat a dead horse, but I thought/hoped I would at least be able to get something out of the technical and outsourced aspects, giving me something nice to look at or listen to. You know, the usual Disney pixie dust that tends to work on even a jaded viewer. But...nah.

I'm interested in seeing Ava rebound. This project just wasn't the one.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I'm going to see it now. There's definitely an agenda to sink this movie afoot

Review: 'A Wrinkle In Time' Delivers Weird, Fun, And Heartfelt Family Entertainment

Forbes reviews A Wrinkle in Time. Mostly box office analysis, with a little actual movie review thrown in, you know, because it’s supposed to be a movie review.

The single most telling paragraph:

Of the 33 “rotten” reviews of the film at the time of this writing, 91% were from white film critics, 83% of which were specifically white men. Meanwhile, more than half of the positive reviews were from women critics, and about 20% were from persons on color of both genders. You can look at these numbers and pretend it doesn’t matter, pretend there’s no message or lesson to be gleaned from it, but frankly such reactions are simply further demonstration of a lack of self-awareness of – or, more often, an overt refusal to listen and/or admit to – white privilege and male privilege institutionalized even within journalism, including corners of journalism that like to fool themselves into believing their opinions are magically free of such problems that run rampant throughout the rest of society and workplaces.

White male reviewers hate it, everyone else says it’s wonderful. Best recommendation I can think of.

Peep the comments :mjpls:

Damn I hate this was a flop. It also seems like people are coming out the woodwork to shyt on Ava as well. :snoop:

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I think she just doesn't want to admit that the dad is white because that was the compromise she had to make with studio execs to get a black Meg.

But I love how she continues to uplift Ryan and Black Panther and how supportive he is of her as well. Nice to see some solidarity in the industry.
(quoting you for context)
while I do agree that the father being white could've definitely been a compromise she had to make, and I get that a lot of brehs in here just having some harmless fun...

I think its worth pointing out that anyone who really thinks she is copping pleas and being a sore loser about this particular criticism is not too familiar with the original story. She didn't just come up with that excuse after these reviews. That absentee father angle is actually something they tried to subtly insert that somewhat differs from the book (its also absurd and unnecessary), hence the ridiculous apology from the dad at the end.
In the book Meg, despite all the Mrs and all the otherworldly beings she encounters, truly believes that once she gets to her father, he will save the day, fix everything etc. Basically his decision to leave the lil boy had a much bigger dramatic effect in the book than it did in the film. She is extremely disappointed when her father can't live up to her ideals and shyt still looks bleak. He apologizes to her for not being able to be the super hero she wants him to be...not because he was involuntarily gone for 4 years after being the innovative scientist they actually respected him for being :mindblown:
I'm putting that absentee shyt on Jennifer Lee. :ufdup: Ava read that shyt was like nah I can't cast a brother for this shyt ....(i hope):russ:

Daps
I think the point some of y’all are missing is that all of the characters in the original book are white. It’s not like Ava took a black story and then white washed it. She took a white story and added black characters. Obviously there are some limitations with how black she could go with it lol. So in that context it was still a bold move by her and something she probably couldn’t have gotten away with if the book was more popular. Just imagine the outcry if a black director made Frodo Baggins or Harry Potter black :russ:

Agree with y’all that this was the wrong project for her to choose though. Haven’t seen it but it seems like it doesn’t play to her strengths as a director and there’s only so much you can do with a bad script

For the casting, the boy helping her actually was supposed to be non-white. They probably changed it for obvious reasons. If you make choices like that, be alright with them. However, trying to shame black people into supporting is not something you can try anymore. You are just going to have to rely on the movie.