"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Classic rapper excuse
TBC interview was cringe. She was copping pleas heavy. I can’t deny her talent. I still google to see if 13th is available to purchase every now and then.

However she got a little too big headed this time. Starting with denying BP and then making this movie everybody said couldn’t be done. Just take the L, but now she on a the media circuit Plea coppin. Thankfully infinity wars drop soon so people will forget about it. So it should be a quick and painless flop.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Coogler with the letter
An ode from 'Black Panther' director Ryan Coogler to 'A Wrinkle in Time' director Ava DuVernay
Ava DuVernay is someone who makes the impossible look easy. It's why I feel privileged to call her my big sister. I met her in 2013, but she's one of those people who you feel like you've always known.

In her life before I met her, she was a highly admired Hollywood publicist who owned her own company. By then she had written, produced and directed two amazing films, about black women finding hope while experiencing grief and loss, all while maintaining a production and distribution company to finance and distribute underserved independent films made by women and people of color. She was already one of my heroes, and that was before she took one of the most sought-after scripts in Hollywood and turned it into the best film about Dr. Martin Luther King that anyone will ever make.

Ava is a pioneer. She makes the most distant dreams and ideas a reality. She made a show called "Queen Sugar" and mandated the use of female directors and key creatives a full two years before the great Frances McDormand shared with the world what an inclusion rider was. Ava is inclusion, equity and representation.

Ava is the past, present and future. She is all of these things, but sometimes I forget she is human. I was reminded of this a couple of years back, when I got the heartbreaking news that she had lost her father. I almost lost my father, and it nearly broke me in half. Ava, the warrior, weathered that loss while making "13th" to show everyone with a Netflix subscription that American slavery never ended -- it had only morphed.

Then she infused the love she had for her father, and her mother who is still with us, into the beautiful film "A Wrinkle in Time." I watched closely from across the hall at Disney while working on "Black Panther" as my big sister inspired her crew with love and navigated the challenges of studio filmmaking, adapting a book that many people called unfilmable into a movie that explodes with hope, with love and with women warriors.

But above all, it's a film about a little black girl with glasses -- like my mom, like my wife, like my big sister Ava -- who refuses to accept that her dad is lost. The main character in the film, Meg, uses her love, her hope and her kickass skills as a scientist to bring him back, and maybe she saves the universe along the way.
An ode from 'Black Panther' director Ryan Coogler to 'A Wrinkle in Time' director Ava DuVernay
I like how they always got each other backs. They gon ride for each other regardless.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was hearing the Breakfast Club interview and I think she said the dad is white because its an absentee dad and she didn't want the stereotypical absentee black dad trope to take part in the movie.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
im going to buy a ticket but go see black panther again :mjcry: say what you want but this sister is inspiring to me :mjcry:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is a movie for little girls based on a book for little girls...right?

Naw pretty sure its always been a children's book. Ya'll chose to get invested in it....for some reason

No, not at all. It was a young adult sci-fi series and it got more mature as the series went on. The later books are pretty dark.

This could've been a success if they stuck to the source material instead of trying to turn it into a colorful lighthearted Disney movie. It should've been more along the lines of "The Hunger Games".

Fred.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
It's opening at 44mil so that's good news for her, but it might struggle to break even when it goes overseas. I think BP just made another 40mil:damn:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I just got back from seeing it. It was actually quite good. I like how they did the Charles Wallace angle. Oprah & Reese were annoying, but then I realize that those characters are the reason I always struggled with the book. Oh the character Calvin I couldn't stand either.

But overall, it is a beautiful film that does capture most of the tone(s) of the book. Better yet, I think it establishes a consistent tone that's absent from the book. Definitely better than the early 2000s MOTW adaptation.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone had more full black acting it than this movie :francis: this is a hard genre , nevertheless I hope nothing but success to the director

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
TBC interview was cringe. She was copping pleas heavy. I can’t deny her talent. I still google to see if 13th is available to purchase every now and then.

However she got a little too big headed this time. Starting with denying BP and then making this movie everybody said couldn’t be done. Just take the L, but now she on a the media circuit Plea coppin. Thankfully infinity wars drop soon so people will forget about it. So it should be a quick and painless flop.
I don't think that's possible for black people:ld:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was hearing the Breakfast Club interview and I think she said the dad is white because its an absentee dad and she didn't want the stereotypical absentee black dad trope to take part in the movie.

Please we know why the dad is white. Ava fine as hell. But she also thinks folks are stupid.