"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
for everybody asking when has she ever done any c00n shyt, she did some fukk shyt in regards to the portrayal of Malcolm X in Selma :francis:

I'll start with the troublesome portrayal of Malcolm X and the film's depiction of an interaction between him and Coretta Scott King. In the film, when she sees him arriving in Selma, she dresses him down for attacking her husband and he cowers like a mouse in response. This depiction may represent the movie maker's sick desire to rewrite history to fit their political agenda, but it ain't what happened folks. First, the movie goes to great lengths to give you the impression that King's organization -the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) was the dominant civil rights organization and other groups like the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC - pronounced SNICK) were portrayed as being unreasonable fringe militants. The movie suggests that Malcolm opportunistically pushed his way into the work SCLC was facilitating in Selma while Dr. King was in jail. The truth is that SNCC had a base in Selma long before SCLC arrived and it was SNCC, not SCLC, that organized the event that day and it was SNCC, whose organizers were becoming increasingly influenced by Malcolm's militant nationalist/Pan-Africanist ideas, that enthusiastically invited Malcolm to speak to them, not SCLC, that day. In fact, Coretta Scott King gave an interview of her account of that day to Jackie Shearer on November 21, 1988. During that interview, Coretta Scott explained that she didn't even arrive at the event that day until after Malcolm had spoken. She recounted that she got there and Andrew Young immediately started chiding her to speak to try and redirect the enthusiasm that Malcolm's speech had generated. Coretta Scott indicates that she went into the event and spoke and after concluding, sat down next to Malcolm on stage. According to her, and everyone else who was present, it was at this time that he leaned over to her and told her that he was there to help. She expressed that her response was a simple thank you and that was it. No discussion. No tension. No drama. She goes on to state during that interview that this was her one and only encounter with Malcolm and how much she appreciated his "kind words." Their exchange lasted no more than 10 seconds, which was 10 seconds longer than any verbal exchange Malcolm and Dr. King ever had. These are facts folks.
"Selma" the Movie. Another Assault against our Dignity

after that I knew what type of shyt she was on :yeshrug:

thank god she didn't end up directing Black Panther :jawalrus:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I got a lot of love and respect for Ava but this shyt was terrible.

I read the book. Its an easy read but I don't think it translates well on the big screen. There's just a lot going on in the book. I give her props for trying though.

The story felt incredibly rushed and yet dragging along at the same time. The comedic beats were off. No one in my auditorium laughed during comedic parts. I think Galifianakis had the one good laugh with the "baritone" line. Which had me sitting there thinking like damn, you know its bad when Galifianakis' comedic ability is barely translating. I think the score was part of the problem too, idk I just feel like it didn't mesh during certain parts of the film.

I hope she isn't judged too harshly by the studios for this effort and continues to be offered great projects with big budgets because she's still a fantastic director.

Edit: gotta add that the kid that place Charles Wallace was terrible :russ::yeshrug:. He just wouldn't enunciate at all and didn't come off as smart as he's supposed be. I liked what they were going for with his character and how it differs from the book but it just wasn't executed well imo

Yeah Charles Wallace was terrible. They should've went with the Aspergers angle for him, instead of playing him like Smart Guy Lite. As for the rest of the movie, I think they did a good job of trying to establish a consistent tone. The themes of the book aren't those that should be portrayed as happy on screen, even though they kinda advertised it as such. There should've been very little comedy in the film and it should have been unintentional. They could've went Neverending Story dark, but I don't think today's children would like that.

I agree. It really is an all-around failure from everyone involved.

Even setting aside the script and directing, the score especially was very underwhelming. The moments that are supposed to feel adventurous and magical don't have the necessary poignant music to help elevate the scene and make it feel like you're going on a grand adventure.

I was also especially let down by the art direction; the designs of the planets, the way time and space distorts, the way they travel, costumes, designs of the creatures, design of the villains, etc. No real imagination put into any of it. I thought it would be more trippy and out of this world. But everything feels so bland and generic. Colorful, but color alone doesn't create beauty or atmosphere.

Enough people have touched on the story and directing so I won't beat a dead horse, but I thought/hoped I would at least be able to get something out of the technical and outsourced aspects, giving me something nice to look at or listen to. You know, the usual Disney pixie dust that tends to work on even a jaded viewer. But...nah.

I'm interested in seeing Ava rebound. This project just wasn't the one.
I don't think she's a creative director. I think her strengths lie in realism, and that's why it wasn't as trippy as it should have been. I didn't mind the design as much, partly because I didn't think she was creative enough to do such, but the traveling should have definitely been more vivid. She seems to lack imagination, and as a hard book to adapt to screen, it definitely needs someone to look at it with a childlike-wonder. It's still infinitely better than that trash TV adaptation a few years back.

All of my geek-girl friends who loved the book(s) growing up, seem to dislike the movie. As for the rest of the people, this was a book for young girls so everyone will not like it. And it's blatantly written for girls.

BTW I've never finished the book. Not when I was 8, 11, a teenage and even last week. I still have 50 pages to go, so I'm giving up.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just got back from seeing it.

The opening scene is a montage of the father being a loving, devoted father, teaching his daughter about science and shyt.

That absentee father angle is a copout.

Figured it was and that is why I didn't believe it. As we all thought it was a conpromise on Ava's part and pandering by Disney.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Daps
I'm going to see it now. There's definitely an agenda to sink this movie afoot

Review: 'A Wrinkle In Time' Delivers Weird, Fun, And Heartfelt Family Entertainment

Forbes reviews A Wrinkle in Time. Mostly box office analysis, with a little actual movie review thrown in, you know, because it’s supposed to be a movie review.

The single most telling paragraph:

Of the 33 “rotten” reviews of the film at the time of this writing, 91% were from white film critics, 83% of which were specifically white men. Meanwhile, more than half of the positive reviews were from women critics, and about 20% were from persons on color of both genders. You can look at these numbers and pretend it doesn’t matter, pretend there’s no message or lesson to be gleaned from it, but frankly such reactions are simply further demonstration of a lack of self-awareness of – or, more often, an overt refusal to listen and/or admit to – white privilege and male privilege institutionalized even within journalism, including corners of journalism that like to fool themselves into believing their opinions are magically free of such problems that run rampant throughout the rest of society and workplaces.

White male reviewers hate it, everyone else says it’s wonderful. Best recommendation I can think of.
I mean to their credit seems like majority of critics went out of their way to be nice. Look at black panther reviews...maybe it’s just a bad movie. Report back after you watch it

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
you lot are some cornballs, bringing down a black woman who has done alot for the community, fuk yall c00ns.

I hope you sambos know that when one black directer so called "fails", it limits opportunities for black directors in the future. fukk yall armchair militant fakkits.
Ava is a feminist first, and a black woman second.

Cape for this bedwench elsewhere