"A Wrinkle in TIme" directed by Ava DuVernay

doublex

Pro
Daps
And I'm :dead: at the "absentee father" angle. The father was trapped in another dimension.

Fred.

Yeah, I think she just doesn't want to admit that the dad is white because that was the compromise she had to make with studio execs to get a black Meg.

But I love how she continues to uplift Ryan and Black Panther and how supportive he is of her as well. Nice to see some solidarity in the industry.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I have a new found respect for Ava after watching this interview. And I'm willing to admit it put my foot in my mouth in this thread.

If you don't want to watch.

1. She says the movie was marketed towards kids and families with kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. She said she turned down black panther because she felt it should be directed by a black man. She wanted to do a movie about a black woman. Which is true.

3. She made the father white because she didn't want to have another movie portrayal of an absentee black father. So she made him white.

I will never see this movie because it wasn't made for me.

I would also date her as well :manny:

I believe all of this. I don't believe she's "copping pleas" at all. She's been nothing but supportive of Coogler, and has gone as far as to promote BP on every platform she's been on, despite not taking it on. I truly believe she thought it wasn't for her because it should be told by a black man. I appreciate her taking a risk with Wrinkle in Time, but the reviews I'm reading don't really inspire me to want to see it. I tend to agree with reviewers for the most part, so I'll be waiting for it to stream.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont know shyt about the book but this was really cringe corny and it seems like the girl playing meg was casted because she had the look ava wanted and not the acting skills. I mean i dont want to r kelly the girl but her saying “what” 40 times in a monotone voice and blank expression made me wish the pops was dead.

The lil cac complimenting her hair n shyt like its the first set of curls on earth n shyt. I dig the message and my daughter loved it but the execution of it all was off to me. U couldve made this about a high school dance and give the message without
All the other goofy sci fi shyt that tricked me into thinking it was going to be something else

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Just seen it not sure what to think its cool

My wife's dentist office rented out a theater for all his patients and their fams to see it this morning. 4 of us went. Even got drinks and popcorn free too. :leon:

Movie was cool. Nothing special. Characters were SEVERELY underdeveloped though especially Oprah, Reese, and Mindy. Story also felt VERY rushed.

Never read the books, but I can see the arguments about the script not good being legit. Felt like there was so much to explore and they just took no time developing it at all. Movie only seemed like 90 minutes too which is way too short and highlights the lack of story and character development.

3/5.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I dont know shyt about the book but this was really cringe corny and it seems like the girl playing meg was casted because she had the look ava wanted and not the acting skills. I mean i dont want to r kelly the girl but her saying “what” 40 times in a monotone voice and blank expression made me wish the pops was dead.

The lil cac complimenting her hair n shyt like its the first set of curls on earth n shyt. I dig the message and my daughter loved it but the execution of it all was off to me. U couldve made this about a high school dance and give the message without
All the other goofy sci fi shyt that tricked me into thinking it was going to be something else

Was she Jaden Smith bad?

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
this movie doesn't look good based off of the trailers but i'm still curious about the storyline and will eventually watch it to support. maybe me going in with low expectations will make it more enjoyable:yeshrug: