A win for flabby set: Old music represent 70% of U.S music market

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Older music covers a wider variety of subject matters. There's a song for every situation. Back then they didn't have as many distractions so they were actually living and putting those life experiences to timeless music. I'm about to go listen to Otis Redding on YouTube

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Funny you said this
I remember D’Angelo saying you have to live to write because writing comes from experience
And he's one of the people that can write about anything and make it a classic. "shyt, Damn, Mother fukker" he wrote about killing his girlfriend and the man she was cheating with. I just sang along to that homicidal hit like nothing was wrong

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Worth noting that at some point when this came out, older people heard it and said it was trash due to the synthesizer, voice box, and drum machine. Complaining about new things is one of the earliest signs of growing old (and out of touch). Which is what people are doing in this thread.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Worth noting that at some point when this came out, older people heard it and said it was trash due to the synthesizer, voice box, and drum machine. Complaining about new things is one of the earliest signs of growing old (and out of touch). Which is what people are doing in this thread.
This came out in the 90s, Roger & Zapp was already known for this sound

The push back of the drum machine / synthesizer in the 80s mostly came from other musicians. Instead of having a full band, the label can sign less people. No one cared that Parliament, Rick, Stevie, Prince, Michael etc used it

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This came out in the 90s, Roger & Zapp was already known for this sound

The push back of the drum machine / synthesizer in the 80s mostly came from other musicians. Instead of having a full band, the label can sign less people. No one cared that Parliament, Rick, Stevie, Prince, Michael etc used it

They all got hate from old r&b fans though. People hated on Roger in the 80s as well as the 90s. People hated on Prince. People hated on Parliament/funk. Detroit r&b, Memphis soul, Philly soul etc were considered how black music "should sound" to many folks, as younger waves came along. That shyt always happens and the old guy complaining is never absolved by history. That's the entire point of why I'm wary whenever we get into "new music is trash" bars on a forum full of 30+ year old people.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
They all got hate from old r&b fans though. People hated on Roger in the 80s as well as the 90s. People hated on Prince. People hated on Parliament/funk. Detroit r&b, Memphis soul, Philly soul etc were considered how black music "should sound" to many folks, as younger waves came along. That shyt always happens and the old guy complaining is never absolved by history. That's the entire point of why I'm wary whenever we get into "new music is trash" bars on a forum full of 30+ year old people.
I understand, same with Rock (hair bands, metal) Neo-Soul, etc.

But at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to listen & enjoy what they want. The whole basis of this thread was data being posted of people consuming more older music