A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Killakidkano

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
England
Why is Doran the Prince of Dorne as opposed to being the King?

And how would Mycella become queen if Arianne had wed her to Trystane?

'Dorne is large peninsula which makes up the southern-most part of Westeros, and is one constituent regions of the Seven Kingdoms. Its capital is Sunspear and the lords of the ruling House Martell still style themselves "Prince" and "Princess" in the Rhoynish fashion.'
Dorne - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Has anybody here talked about why was Robert Baratheon being fostered at the Arryn's when both his parents were dead? His responsibilities should have been lord of his house. Wouldn't it make more sense that Stannis was sent for fostering?

Robert's parents died when he was around 15 yrs old but by the time the rebellion starts him and Ned were already in their early 20s still being fostered at the Arryns. Da fukk?

And lol on how it's the youngins that basically won the war. Stannis was only 17 holding Storm's End. They must have had some gully ass tacticians on their side.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Has anybody here talked about why was Robert Baratheon being fostered at the Tully's when both his parents were dead? His responsibilities should have been lord of his house. Wouldn't it make more sense that Stannis was sent for fostering?

Robert's parents died when he was around 15 yrs old but by the time the rebellion starts him and Ned were already in their early 20s still being fostered at the Tullys. Da fukk?

And lol on how it's the youngins that basically won the war. Stannis was only 17 holding Storm's End. They must have had some gully ass tacticians on their side.

My guess would be since they were still under the rule of the mad king that he wanted Robert fostered with Robert Aron(i know what you mean though). And it looks like all young lords are sent to foster at other places around the kingdom when the mad king was ruling.

Look at what Rob and Jon are doing and they are what 17 by now.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Has anybody here talked about why was Robert Baratheon being fostered at the Tully's when both his parents were dead? His responsibilities should have been lord of his house. Wouldn't it make more sense that Stannis was sent for fostering?

Robert's parents died when he was around 15 yrs old but by the time the rebellion starts him and Ned were already in their early 20s still being fostered at the Tullys. Da fukk?

you mean the Arryns..him and ned were jon arryn's squires. At that time he was still a young man and Ser cortnay penrose(who later gets killed by melisandre when stannis and her wanted edric storm, robert's b*stard) was Castellan of Storm's End. he was then betrothed to lyanna when he came back to become lord of storm's end and then lyanna was kidnapped by rhaegar which set the whole thing off.

its a good question though why wasnt stannis being fostered anywhere as far as we know? then again there is a ton of unasked questions about the history.

game of thrones has made me into such a nerd :whoo:

EDIT: this is a great page for everyone to familiarize themselves further with the whole story
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

yea Dorne is different than the rest of the 7 kingdoms. they were the only ones that didnt submit to Aegon the conqueror and got mad respect for it and were allowed to keep their old customs. Instead of Lord or Lady of Dorne, they are known as Prince and Princess.

Also, their line of succession is by age, not by sex. If the oldest is a girl, she will be Princess of Dorne and thats it. So by dornish law, they can crown Myrcella queen instead of Tommen cause she is older than he is. the kingdom would then become divided with some supporting myrcella and some supporting tommen.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
My guess would be since they were still under the rule of the mad king that he wanted Robert fostered with Robert Aron(i know what you mean though). And it looks like all young lords are sent to foster at other places around the kingdom when the mad king was ruling.

Look at what Rob and Jon are doing and they are what 17 by now.

Yeah, my b. I keep mixing up Arryn/Tully in my head at times.

I understand why Ned was there since Rickard Stark had Southron ambitions, betrothing Lyanna to Baratheon and Brandon to Tully.

It seemed like and odd move having a lord remain a squire especially for all that time. When the Mad King asked for Ned and Robert's head they're were goddamned lucky that Arryn liked them too much to obey.

you mean the Arryns..him and ned were jon arryn's squires. At that time he was still a young man and Ser cortnay penrose(who later gets killed by melisandre when stannis and her wanted edric storm, robert's b*stard) was Castellan of Storm's End. he was then betrothed to lyanna when he came back to become lord of storm's end and then lyanna was kidnapped by rhaegar which set the whole thing off.

I think your sequence of events are wrong though. Robert was already at Storm's End when his parents died. In fact him and Stannis witnessed it. He is sent to be a squire after that. Where he meets Ned and where the Lyanna betrothal deal happens. He also had a b*stard there too (Mya Stone). That's a long time to be a squire. Maybe Robert just liked chilling there?

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Yeah, my b. I keep mixing up Arryn/Tully in my head at times.

I understand why Ned was there since Rickard Stark had Southron ambitions, betrothing Lyanna to Baratheon and Brandon to Tully.

It seemed like and odd move having a lord remain a squire especially for all that time. When the Mad King asked for Ned and Robert's head they're were goddamned lucky that Arryn liked them too much to obey.

I think your sequence of events are wrong though. Robert was already at Storm's End when his parents died. In fact him and Stannis witnessed it. He is sent to be a squire after that. Where he meets Ned and where the Lyanna betrothal deal happens. He also had a b*stard there too (Mya Stone). That's a long time to be a squire. Maybe Robert just liked chilling there?

no what i mean is he was being fostered after his parents died and ser cortnay penrose was the castellan. for example after robb went off to war, bran was the prince of winterfell but ser rodrick was the castellan since bran was too young to rule. thats most likely what the deal was, robert was sent off to be trained and tutored til he matured enough to be the lord while ser cortnay penrose ruled for him.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
no what i mean is he was being fostered after his parents died and ser cortnay penrose was the castellan. for example after robb went off to war, bran was the prince of winterfell but ser rodrick was the castellan since bran was too young to rule. thats most likely what the deal was, robert was sent off to be trained and tutored til he matured enough to be the lord while ser cortnay penrose ruled for him.

Oh, okay. I got it.

I wonder if Stannis would still have raised banners against the Mad King if Arryn did take Robert's head.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Breh's I was doing a reread of the series and came up on something. haven't read the whole thread so dont know if its been bought up, but sarella, the red viper daughter is alleras spelled backward, the spinx thats in old town helping sam. I had the literal :ooh: face when that shyt clicked. Then Doran said leave sarella to her game. I wonder whats the gameplan there. Hanging out with Marwyn the Mage, you know its some deep magical shyt. :lawd: at House Martell in general.

Doran got the whole squad spread throughout the kingdom.

Interesting to note that Jaqen is in Old Town too posing as a novice and is with Alleras and Sam.

BonafideDefacto

The Coli's Jetsetter & Globetrotter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Imagine, a prequel showing the War of the Usurper and at the end Lyanna hands Ned a baby.:whew:

But then, I would wanna see the GreyJoy rebellion too to see everyone sonning them nikkuhs together.
Has anybody here talked about why was Robert Baratheon being fostered at the Arryn's when both his parents were dead? His responsibilities should have been lord of his house. Wouldn't it make more sense that Stannis was sent for fostering?

Robert's parents died when he was around 15 yrs old but by the time the rebellion starts him and Ned were already in their early 20s still being fostered at the Arryns. Da fukk?

Never really thought about that:ehh:

Doran got the whole squad spread throughout the kingdom.

Interesting to note that Jaqen is in Old Town too posing as a novice and is with Alleras and Sam.

How did I miss this, now I'm over here looking like the Show Only Watchers missing shyt:whistle:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
It gonna be interesting as fukk to see how all these factions are going interact..
NW/Wildings/Melisandre
Others/Bran
Stannis/Boltons/Theon/Asha
Dany/Tyrion/Barristan/Victorian
Sansa/Littlefinger
Cersei/Tyrells
Fake Aegon/Arriane
Sam/Oldtown Maesters/Jaqen
Arya/Faceless men

And you still got the shyt in Dorne w/ Myrcella, Euron being a bauce, Nymeria and her wolfpack

No way he finishes this shyt in 2 books

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
It gonna be interesting as fukk to see how all these factions are going interact..
NW/Wildings/Melisandre
Others/Bran
Stannis/Boltons/Theon/Asha
Dany/Tyrion/Barristan/Victorian
Sansa/Littlefinger
Cersei/Tyrells
Fake Aegon/Arriane
Sam/Oldtown Maesters/Jaqen
Arya/Faceless men

And you still got the shyt in Dorne w/ Myrcella, Euron being a bauce, Nymeria and her wolfpack

No way he finishes this shyt in 2 books

im gonna be tight if he doesnt finish it. plus, homeboy is old and obese so theres a good chance he dies before finishing.

the shyt i find crazy is how stacked with warriors dany is at the end of the 5 books. she has her unsullied, her dragons, her sellswords, victarion on the way with his fleet, dorne ready to make an alliance, and she just bumped into a khalasar that might be taking her side cause of her dragons. plus, barristan training knights and im not even including what happens if her and aegon get together with his golden company.

she must have 120,000 men in her army or more.

its a wrap for those evil lannisters lol.

i really hope this old shyt finishes these books asap.

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny

in dorne culture, the oldest child is heir, rather than the older male child

so they would have considered her the future queen regardless of the marriage

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
im gonna be tight if he doesnt finish it. plus, homeboy is old and obese so theres a good chance he dies before finishing.

the shyt i find crazy is how stacked with warriors dany is at the end of the 5 books. she has her unsullied, her dragons, her sellswords, victarion on the way with his fleet, dorne ready to make an alliance, and she just bumped into a khalasar that might be taking her side cause of her dragons. plus, barristan training knights and im not even including what happens if her and aegon get together with his golden company.

she must have 120,000 men in her army or more.

its a wrap for those evil lannisters lol.

i really hope this old shyt finishes these books asap.

:usure: I don't think so after Quentyn got turned to bbq snake.
I think Aegon and Dany go to war for the 2nd dance with dragons.

I forgot about the Faith, aren't they deep?
Children of the forest....

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
:usure: I don't think so after Quentyn got turned to bbq snake.
I think Aegon and Dany go to war for the 2nd dance with dragons.

I forgot about the Faith, aren't they deep?
Children of the forest....

thats true i forgot about that, however the dragons burned his ass for trying to steal one so that wasnt dany's fault.

if dany and aegon get into beef with each other tho, dany can squash that pretty fast. she has dragons on her side..DRAGONS! lol. i hope not tho i hope aegon and jon snow are the 2 extra heads of the dragons.

the faith is in deep also but doran martell sent one of his nieces in there to infiltrate and get close to the high septon. i think her name is tyena sand and she is a septa. also nymeria sand got sent to kings landing to be on the council in place of doran.

theres alot of loose ends on this story. it really is difficult to imagine how he can tie it all up in 2 books before he passes away. these might be some monstrous, 1400 page books.