A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:to:

Sir Illyn Payne got cancer and decides not to go for treatment.

I can't really blame him though, it's pretty much a wrap when it's pancreatic cancer. Hope the best for him because that's not an easy way to go. I hope they don't replace with some lame like they did with Sir Gregor Clegane's first actor... :smh:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Lol just speculation/theories but nothing to do with the South.

:thinking:

Like how maybe Ned had North-centric ambitions, he probably had ideas to improve affairs and strengths in the North ie. regaining the Queenscrown and the Gift off the Night's Watch and to settle Brandon, Rickon and Jon Snow in holdfasts on that land. The three of them married to Northern ladies. Making New lords, reinforcing loyalties and creating a buffer against the Wildings.

He probably planned for Sansa or Arya to marrry Theon Greyjoy and when Balon died, he'd have supported claims to the Iron Islands. This would tie the two Kingdoms together where once they were enemies.

These are all good power moves but he got fukked over in the South before he could do anything. :manny:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Like how maybe Ned had North-centric ambitions, he probably had ideas to improve affairs and strengths in the North ie. regaining the Queenscrown and the Gift off the Night's Watch and to settle Brandon, Rickon and Jon Snow in holdfasts on that land. The three of them married to Northern ladies. Making New lords, reinforcing loyalties and creating a buffer against the Wildings.

He probably planned for Sansa or Arya to marrry Theon Greyjoy and when Balon died, he'd have supported claims to the Iron Islands. This would tie the two Kingdoms together where once they were enemies.

These are all good power moves but he got fukked over in the South before he could do anything. :manny:

sounds far fetched....and i think the Sansa/Joffrey idea woulda been much better. Remember, Ned was only really opposed to being Hand. Not really to the marriage...that woulda made him father in law to the crown prince....:leon:

DonkeyPuncher718

If Your Knee Dont Bend It Can Be Broken
Daps
Reppin
The Wall
sounds far fetched....and i think the Sansa/Joffrey idea woulda been much better. Remember, Ned was only really opposed to being Hand. Not really to the marriage...that woulda made him father in law to the crown prince....:leon:

Yeah Ned wanted to stay in Winterfell and live the rest of his days out with the family chillin in his ice fortress its Robert that forced his hand and remember during the first season when Ned wanted no parts of Danerys Assasination he was going back to winterfell to grip up if Robert was going to accuse him of treason.:violent:

Damn the more I think about it Ned really was the last of a dying breed Honor,Integrity and Justice I love the fact that Stannis Baratheon the one true king of westerosos and king of the Andals and first men,Lord of Light is cut from the same cloth:mj:

So sorry to hear about Sir Illyrio Payne broke my heart to read that story:to:

fukk Cancer Seriously

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

Theon really fukked up.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

Far fetched how? That he could pull all that off uninterrupted or it's far fetched that Ned possibly had those plans in mind before going South?

I think it's plausible and it's all a good idea to make the North stronger. Marrying Theon to his own blood line would have squashed Ironborn beef. I would have preferred strengthening my own territory first before expanding. (So fukk what Arya or Sansa had to say to the arrangement :pachaha:) Theon was a better choice than sadistic Joffrey

The Sansa/Joff set up better? What good is it to be father in law to a crown prince when the prince is a sadistic fukk backed by powerful enemies (Lannisters)? And you have guys like Littlefinger and Varys around? Sure Ned didn't mind about the marriage and didn't know what kind of shyt was in KL but a Sansa/Joff marriage is not really beneficial. She's too far away and considering the people she's surrounded by, the tie to the crown wouldn't have meant shyt.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Far fetched how? That he could pull all that off uninterrupted or it's far fetched that Ned possibly had those plans in mind before going South?

I think it's plausible and it's all a good idea to make the North stronger. Marrying Theon to his own blood line would have squashed Ironborn beef. I would have preferred strengthening my own territory first before expanding. (So fukk what Arya or Sansa had to say to the arrangement :pachaha:) Theon was a better choice than sadistic Joffrey

The Sansa/Joff set up better? What good is it to be father in law to a crown prince when the prince is a sadistic fukk backed by powerful enemies (Lannisters)? And you have guys like Littlefinger and Varys around? Sure Ned didn't mind about the marriage and didn't know what kind of shyt was in KL but a Sansa/Joff marriage is not really beneficial. She's too far away and considering the people she's surrounded by, the tie to the crown wouldn't have meant shyt.

Joffery didn't reveal that nature until he sat the throne. Hindsight is 20/20, at the time why would Ned NOT marry his daughter to the prince? Joining of the houses is one of the most powerful things to do. Now lets say Robert dies anyway and none of that incest shyt pops off. We are looking at the North being ENTIRELY loyal to house Baratheon/Lannister due to such a marriage. And who cares about the Iron Islands? That wouldn't have been smart. Theon is AROUND just to keep a war from popping off, the Iron Islands couldn't last in a an open war against House Stark, House Lannister, House Tully, House Baratheon AND their bannermen.

Remember the Lannisters didn't become enemies of the Starks until the war of the five kings. And if the announcement of the betrothal was done years before GOT, like how most arranged marriages are then the whole Bran angle is null and void because Cat woulda known better than to take Tyrion hostage.

And that tie to the crown means EVERYTHING, look at what it did for the Tyrells. They went from a great house that was kind of obscure to having kingsguard, seats on the small council, increases in lordships in their lands JUST because of Margery's betrothal and thats AFTER they declared for Renly...imagine if that incest stuff never came out....again you are looking at the most formidable union in Westeros.

Now how would marrying Sansa to Theon make the North stronger than the combined strength of Houses Stark, Lannister, Tully, Baratheon? :mindblown:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I want to get into these books, but the amount of storylines sounds annoying...