A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Question for those who read all the books so far...

I thought Stannis and his army lost at Winterfell already? And Jon Snow got got?

The popular opinion is that Ramsay's letter was a lie to get Jon riled up. And Jon will likely get ressurected by Melisandre in the same manner as lady Stark and Berric Dondareon. But we don't know for sure until the book comes out.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
I'm running out of things to talk about here. So I've been looking for a new book series to hold me down. Ran into The First Law series which I hear is pretty popular amongst ASoIaF fans. Gonna order the first book end of this week. Anyone heard of it and can vouch for it?

If you liked this one try Malazan book of the fallen series. Im reading it now and its heavier on the fantasy but also adult oriented. Its a good read tho

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
The Lannisters proved they have the largest, most financed, group of pussies this side of the Narrow Sea. No wildfire, Stannis takes Kings Landing. A 17 Year Old out commands and fights Tywin.

the lannisters keep proving that their minds for espionage and money are their advantages, cuz them nikkas CANNOT fight.

Odd. GRRM stated that Tywin Lannister had his smallfolk martially trained on the regular so that the West were prepared for invasion. You'd think the West would be gully because of a Lord who took his time with that. :merchant:

But it looks like the badassery died when Tywin got bodied.

I think if Ned took the same steps in training the smallfolk maybe Theon Gayjoy wouldn't have had such an easy time taking Winterfell.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Odd. GRRM stated that Tywin Lannister had his smallfolk martially trained on the regular so that the West were prepared for invasion. You'd think the West would be gully because of a Lord who took his time with that. :merchant:

But it looks like the badassery died when Tywin got bodied.

I think if Ned took the same steps in training the smallfolk maybe Theon Gayjoy wouldn't have had such an easy time taking Winterfell.

yeah he woulda, remember majority of the able bodied men were off with Robb in the riverlands...its part of why taking Winterfell WAS so easy.

And

GRRM dropped a teaser chapter from the Theon/Reek persepctive showing Stannis was indeed alive and that he had captured Asha Greyjoy and Theon had escaped from Winterfell with fake Arya

NUPE 1911

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you liked this one try Malazan book of the fallen series. Im reading it now and its heavier on the fantasy but also adult oriented. Its a good read tho

I am reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series right now and loving it. I am almost done with the second book (Deadhouse Gates) and plan to read all 10+ books.

It is a more complicated book to read and takes a lot of time to develop but I am really into it right now.

The books are as follows for those that want to read them:

1 Gardens of the Moon
2 Deadhouse Gates
3 Memories of Ice
4 House of Chains
5 Midnight Tides
6 The Bonehunters
7 Reaper's Gale
8 Toll the Hounds
9 Dust of Dreams
10 The Crippled God

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I don't think Stannis believes that Azor Azhai business any way. It's been hinted quite a few times. First there's the scene in Clash where Stannis says he doesn't believe in any gods. Then everytime Mel brings up him being Azor Azhai he gets very uncomfortable.

I don't think it matters if he believes it or not. That Red god bullshyt is tied to and is what fuels his campaign.

That's why I can't really get down with Stannis winning the throne. Too many fanatics in his group and Melisandre.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
8 days, no power... kept it on the table near me at all times... never picked it up. some day

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

I decided to look up info on that one. I hear it has characters out the ass, like one of the books has over 200 characters :huhldup:

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
i just finished a storm of swords earlier

:damn: half way(if not almost 3/4) I was :gladbron:

book felt like it was dragging on for me, i was more :dry: with
the near ending being some more sansa, shyt was boring as fukk reading her shyt and then the last page:gladbron:

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I see people asking about other fantasy series...

I read the first 3 malazan books but it was too much for me personally. :mindblown:
Too much stuff going, the characters are less interesting and some of the stuff gets confusing and even some possible plot holes there, since there is so much stuff going on and so many magical powers.

I'd recommend First Law series by Joe Abercrombie as someone mentioned. A little more predictable and less plot/character driven but very high paced and features some incredible action and bad ass characters straight out of a Tarantino flick.
For a more philosophical take on cynical low-fantasy I'd say R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse series. Probably my favorite fantasy series outside ASOIAF. The first book starts sort of slow but it really picks up.
For a just slightly more YA-ish yet still dark, cynical series I'd recommend Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. Incredibly entertaining and I couldn't put it down.

After finishing ASOIAF in like 2 weeks I was starving for similar stuff and read a bunch of fantasy I was recommended, those were easily the best 3.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I see people asking about other fantasy series...

I read the first 3 malazan books but it was too much for me personally. :mindblown:
Too much stuff going, the characters are less interesting and some of the stuff gets confusing and even some possible plot holes there, since there is so much stuff going on and so many magical powers.

I'd recommend First Law series by Joe Abercrombie as someone mentioned. A little more predictable and less plot/character driven but very high paced and features some incredible action and bad ass characters straight out of a Tarantino flick.
For a more philosophical take on cynical low-fantasy I'd say R. Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse series. Probably my favorite fantasy series outside ASOIAF. The first book starts sort of slow but it really picks up.
For a just slightly more YA-ish yet still dark, cynical series I'd recommend Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. Incredibly entertaining and I couldn't put it down.

After finishing ASOIAF in like 2 weeks I was starving for similar stuff and read a bunch of fantasy I was recommended, those were easily the best 3.

I'm already reading the First Law series. I'm still on the first book it's pretty tight but I'm not knocking out pages like I did with ASOIAF books.

How do the Second Apocalypse series read? Are they in first person or third person? I also heard there's a lot of rape in that one lol

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I'm already reading the First Law series. I'm still on the first book it's pretty tight but I'm not knocking out pages like I did with ASOIAF books.

How do the Second Apocalypse series read? Are they in first person or third person? I also heard there's a lot of rape in that one lol

They are in 3rd person. There is a lot of rape and all sort of foul shyt but that's the thing with these adult, dark fantasy. Personally I think it adds to the savage medieval atmosphere. I don't want the writer sugar coating stuff :manny:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
They are in 3rd person. There is a lot of rape and all sort of foul shyt but that's the thing with these adult, dark fantasy. Personally I think it adds to the savage medieval atmosphere. I don't want the writer sugar coating stuff :manny:

Yeah, same here. Thanks breh. I'm gonna buy the first book tomorrow.