A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
I don't mind the theory videos and posts. They point out a lot of shyt I never would have caught just reading on my own. I just rewatched Alt Shift X's Euron video the other day to hype myself up for this reread I'm doing :banderas:

I'm mostly talking about places like Yi Ti and Asshai, or the mentions of the deep ones, etc though. I wouldn't want them to fully reveal or explain all of that because it ruins the mystique.
EDIT: Them meaning GRRM or whoever is writing these HBO shows, not the people making theory videos.

Thanks, for this, had a craving for some ASOIF lore videos to listen to while working, this channel seems pretty good.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even in the books. Daenerys chapters were the worst.

I think context is necessary here

Dany's ASOIAF chapters are written with certain genre perspectives in mind. That's a large part of what makes it so good

Dany's chapter's are written like female led/typical YA novels where the stories are told in a way that appeals to female readers. They have all the typical traits of a girl finding herself, being oppressed and objectified, being courted and desired by various men, etc

A lot of men didn't like Dany chapters/scenes because they're based on the type of stories men don't typically watch. Coincidentally, this is what makes the subversion of her being the Mad Queen so good(as an idea)

When you consider all the other case of subversion in the series, Grrms deifying of Dany fits right in

I understand why nikkas hate Dany chapters/scenes, but they were a very deliberate device on GRRMs end

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Thanks, for this, had a craving for some ASOIF lore videos to listen to while working, this channel seems pretty good.
alt shift x one of the better asoiaf channels out but I also like quinn (breh from california, he mostly does scifi novels and dune now though) and lucifer means lightbringer (he focuses more on symbolism and story within a story techniques GRRM uses.). Lightbringer actually has a series of great theory videos on why he believes the great empire of the dawn (ancient yi ti civilization) were the first dragon riders and taught it to the valerians.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not saying you're wrong, because I think it could be true as well, but it's worth noting that Marwyn isn't a trustworthy source. He's played as the resident crack pot, like a Maester Alex Jones. In that quote alone he implies Aemon was sent to the wall, when Aemon himself made the choice.
Look at the way it's worded tho

"....why he was allowed to waste" implies that Aemon's choice to go to the wall shouldn't have gone as easily as it did

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you read affc prologue and the Adwd chapter where Theon has a talk with Barbrey dustin. In both diff chapters barbrey and Maester marwyn who is like a black sheep on the citadel cause he likes magic and dragons and even is fukking around with glass candles come up with the same conclusion that the Maesters been plotting on the Targs.

Lord Rickard Stark Maester was a Hightower b*stard. Basically it was the hightowers all along they control the maesters and have a high influence in the church too the other bane in targs history.
But don't mind my opinion let me drop a quote from arch maester marwyn from the pate prologue chapter

“If I tell you, they may need to kill you too.” Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. “Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?” He spat. “The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can.”

That chapter goes even deeper than that cause they had a book that teaches everything you need to know to hatch dragons and they had it locked away in the citadel currently jacken haggard stole the book and the faceless men might have gotten a dragons egg from euron as payment for killing Balon Greyjoy whom in the books died of a mysterious fall.

And now on the new show they dropping subtle and not so subtle cues as to who is really plotting on the king and on the targs. Its pretty obvious qfter episode 2 who scheeming
I've read the books 3 times and the more times I read them the higher Feast For Crows rises on my ranking

It took me a month to read the first time I thought that shyt was boring as fukk:mjlol:

Now it's probably my 2nd favorite book after Storm:wow:

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
I've read the books 3 times and the more times I read them the higher Feast For Crows rises on my ranking

It took me a month to read the first time I thought that shyt was boring as fukk:mjlol:

Now it's probably my 2nd favorite book after Storm:wow:
shyt is brazy, what kept my interest the first time was them Cersei chapters I was like :ohhh: shorty is Bat shyt Crazy. And a total different character from the tv show. But feast is Great, a lil slow but its very descriptive it also reads well with ADWD togheter.

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
I feel like books as a whole should have its own subforum on this site. Like there's one singular thread in higher learning, but a section would allow for a thread like this to exist alongside other fictional books worth talking about like Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters (still waiting on that third book, nikka).

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see the appeal for the Jon Snow show at all. The mysteries in the North turned out to be duds in the show, GRRM hasn't provided a good story in that area of the universe afaik.
House of the Dragon has great source material which is why I want to see it, Jon Snow show is some idea made up by Kit Harrington, its good enough to convince HBO, but so were season 7 and 8 of GoT :francis:
Not to beat the blaming D&D horse but it was clear them nikkas didn't care much for the magic elements of the show. They cared more about the political drama

They're more subtle in the book but when you compile all the magic/supernatural shyt that was cut out of the show it's a good enough amount to indicate D&D said fukk all the magic shyt.

No Stoneheart
Bran being the only warging Stark
Euron :francis:
Their treatment of the Night King
And so on

From the book perspective Westeros was headed towards a culmination of dark magic fukkery and the show cut it out of the equation

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
I feel like books as a whole should have its own subforum on this site. Like there's one singular thread in higher learning, but a section would allow for a thread like this to exist alongside other fictional books worth talking about like Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters (still waiting on that third book, nikka).
Reading is extremely powerful, specially books to me its a great way to disconnect from the matrix and use my imagination. I prefer reading on paper, I have an Ipad and a Galaxy tab, but my wife got me this cheap paperwhite tablet and its great for reading almost feels like reading real paper and its way easier on my eyes.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I think context is necessary here

Dany's ASOIAF chapters are written with certain genre perspectives in mind. That's a large part of what makes it so good

Dany's chapter's are written like female led/typical YA novels where the stories are told in a way that appeals to female readers. They have all the typical traits of a girl finding herself, being oppressed and objectified, being courted and desired by various men, etc

A lot of men didn't like Dany chapters/scenes because they're based on the type of stories men don't typically watch. Coincidentally, this is what makes the subversion of her being the Mad Queen so good(as an idea)

When you consider all the other case of subversion in the series, Grrms deifying of Dany fits right in

I understand why nikkas hate Dany chapters/scenes, but they were a very deliberate device on GRRMs end
It's not that. In fact Dany's chapters early on before she gets her dragons are actually great. I think it's because the 'Meereenese knot' GRRM was trying to work out. All those Harzoos and Hizdars become a slog to get through. Everything after "Dracarys" is boring as hell. Having dragons alone just didn't make her interesting.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder if they'll change Laenor's backstory. Because how the children look will be a dead give away in the show.