A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
Aegon II seemed like less of a dikkhead between him and Aemond. I was leaning more towards Rhaenyra and them when I read it, but I do think at first it was respectable that he was like "i don't wanna fight her, she's my sister". obviously that changes, but I like that as a starting point for him. like he gets fukked up during this series and though I wasn't pulling for his side at all I thought the reveal of him at dragonstone perched up like :birdman: after they thought he was dead was baller as fukk.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Melissandre needs some more POV chapters, would like to hear about her time in Asshai :

"In Essos, far past Qarth on the southern edge of the known world, sits a mysterious and ancient port city known as Asshai (pronounced “uh-shy”). It is large enough to hold four massive cities but has only a small number of citizens. Its origins aren’t even known to the few who dwell there, but contained in its massive black walls is old and powerful knowledge—of magic, wonder, dragons, and sorcery. Outside the city are horrors even the most fearless men won’t travel to, for even the Lord of Light’s touch can not pierce the darkness of the Shadow Lands Asshai calls home. "
Asshai the most interesting piece of extended lore in this world to me. I would absolutely love more on it

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
The dragons weren't even the reason got got popping.
I'd have to agree.

A GOT show would do well without dragons.

Dragons are just a.bonus..

The political fukkery and violence was the selling point. And anyone getting got.

The fantasy element was somewhat downplayed from what it should be.

Dunk and Egg could be a more lighthearted tone..coming of age story if they wanted imo. They could focus on the tourneys and melee and duels and shyt which is fun as fukk to watch if filmed correctly.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Because once you take the black you relinquish all titles. No one kept him from becoming archmaester but himself:yeshrug:
By the time his brother died he was already a member of the nights watch.
You talm bout EGG?

AEMON and EGG(AEGON THE UNLIKELY) traveled to the WALL together..when Aemon gave up his titles and took the black.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
You talm bout EGG?

AEMON and EGG(AEGON THE UNLIKELY) traveled to the WALL together..when Aemon gave up his titles and took the black.
Aemon. If you go back you'll see I'm referring to Marwyn's assertion that the Maesters conspired to have him waste away at the wall instead of raising him to archmaester, when it was really his own decision to join the Nights Watch.

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
if they do a jon snow show, imagine
  • jon heads further north than we've ever seen and finds magic beasts long thought to be dead, as well as a city of wildlings and children of the forrest living together
  • val is introduced and is like a wildling princess/love interest
  • these children tell him he's got the blood of the first men in him and can warg, and teach him how
  • he somehow learns about the first long night, azor ahai, and some connection to valyria and the targaryens who knew about the prophecy
  • he's like "that's not like what i just went through at all"
  • finds out the night king wasn't shyt. the real threat was the night queen. and that what they went through was a false long night
  • "the legend of the long night has its roots in the magic of the far east of essos" (cut to red priestesses in asshai crowded around a burning pyre and chanting)
  • season 1 ends in a closeup of dany on that burning pyre opening her eyes up and coming back just like jon did in s6 and her theme plays in the credits

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if they do a jon snow show, imagine
  • jon heads further north than we've ever seen and finds magic beasts long thought to be dead, as well as a city of wildlings and children of the forrest living together
  • val is introduced and is like a wildling princess/love interest
  • these children tell him he's got the blood of the first men in him and can warg, and teach him how
  • he somehow learns about the first long night, azor ahai, and some connection to valyria and the targaryens who knew about the prophecy
  • he's like "that's not like what i just went through at all"
  • finds out the night king wasn't shyt. the real threat was the night queen. and that what they went through was a false long night
  • "the legend of the long night has its roots in the magic of the far east of essos" (cut to red priestesses in asshai crowded around a burning pyre and chanting)
  • season 1 ends in a closeup of dany on that burning pyre opening her eyes up and coming back just like jon did in s6 and her theme plays in the credits

I like this. And it could definitely work. And we still got Tyrion, Bron, and others alive. So Jon could eventually link up with them too.

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd happily watch a Jon and Knights Watch in the North show. I don't wanna see any part of king's landing and the south. The furthest South I would be interested is Winterfell. You can do a lot with exploring the North

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
I like this. And it could definitely work. And we still got Tyrion, Bron, and others alive. So Jon could eventually link up with them too.
yo what if bran dies, but like he's been setting shyt up so that when the true night comes, they'll be ready. like he knew all along he was gonna die, but he needed the kingdom to be ready. it's not that he wanted the throne (he said he didn't want anything anymore, remember) but he NEEDED to save the people from a threat they didn't even know was coming. that's why he was just sitting there looking at NK come towards him like he was a bytch ass nikka, cuz in his view he was. that's why he came all that way.

And have Faegon do it. Bring in Faegon and bro who gave dany her eggs in season one then disappeared. Have them catch the unsullied on their suicide mission to Naath and recruit them to get revenge for dany's death.

"There's a targaryen coming with an army to take the throne :damn: "

"another one??"

some other shyt happens, but faegon is gonna amass a bunch of support and have nikkas on the inside ready to take the throne for himself. King's landing is getting fukked, their men are getting massacred, and their closing in on the red keep. bran's kingsguard around him and his advisors are like "your grace we gotta move" :damn:and he's like. "there's nothing we can do. We're already dead. It's above us now." :demonic:

and then somehow faegon being on the throne is important come the true night.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I don't see the appeal for the Jon Snow show at all. The mysteries in the North turned out to be duds in the show, GRRM hasn't provided a good story in that area of the universe afaik.
House of the Dragon has great source material which is why I want to see it, Jon Snow show is some idea made up by Kit Harrington, its good enough to convince HBO, but so were season 7 and 8 of GoT :francis:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Just re-read the dance in Fire & Blood. It was Rhaenys & Corlys‘ son that was put forth at the Grand Council, not Rhaenys herself. I wonder why they switched that up.

I cannot wait to see this play out on screen. I wonder where they’ll end this season and how many characters they’ll end up excluding.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Just re-read the dance in Fire & Blood. It was Rhaenys & Corlys‘ son that was put forth at the Grand Council, not Rhaenys herself. I wonder why they switched that up.

I cannot wait to see this play out on screen. I wonder where they’ll end this season and how many characters they’ll end up excluding.
I'd assume its to draw parallels to the situation about to pop off from Viserys naming Rhaenyra his heir.

I don't really remember the story for Dance though, but I think the split ends up being between Rhaenyra and Alicent's kids, and whether they follow the female line or the male line from there? Which is similar to the choice between the first daughter, or the closest male relative with Rhaenys and Viserys. It would also make sense if over the years the biased Maesters downplayed the consideration for Rhaenys in their recollections.

I only vaguely remember the Dance so I'm not looking for clarification on that. Trying to keep the show feeling fresh, at least for the first season.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Asshai the most interesting piece of extended lore in this world to me. I would absolutely love more on it
It's the whole Cosmic Horror thing going on out there. There are alot of HP Lovecraft references throughout Westeros. Old Gods, etc. shyt, even Euron falls into that whole thing. Too bad the show wasted a great actor and storyline :francis:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
It's the whole Cosmic Horror thing going on out there. There are alot of HP Lovecraft references throughout Westeros. Old Gods, etc. shyt, even Euron falls into that whole thing. Too bad the show wasted a great actor and storyline :francis:
Euron was a huge wasted opportunity. I was really looking forward to seeing how his story would end up just to get some clown talking about fingers up the bum :snoop: Could've been an all-time TV villain.
GRRM better get these books going. That Euron sample chapter from Winds was :whew:

Speaking of Asshai though, I actually like the mystery of all of the distant lands. Revealing too much just takes away from the Lovecraft style 'unfathomable' horror. For me the fear of not knowing or being able to understand is more interesting than anything I could actually imagine.