A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Euron was a huge wasted opportunity. I was really looking forward to seeing how his story would end up just to get some clown talking about fingers up the bum :snoop: Could've been an all-time TV villain.
GRRM better get these books going. That Euron sample chapter from Winds was :whew:

Speaking of Asshai though, I actually like the mystery of all of the distant lands. Revealing too much just takes away from the Lovecraft style 'unfathomable' horror. For me the fear of not knowing or being able to understand is more interesting than anything I could actually imagine.
That's a good point, I went down a rabbit hole. These theory videos are okay, but it does take away from the books.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Euron was a huge wasted opportunity. I was really looking forward to seeing how his story would end up just to get some clown talking about fingers up the bum :snoop: Could've been an all-time TV villain.
GRRM better get these books going. That Euron sample chapter from Winds was :whew:

Speaking of Asshai though, I actually like the mystery of all of the distant lands. Revealing too much just takes away from the Lovecraft style 'unfathomable' horror. For me the fear of not knowing or being able to understand is more interesting than anything I could actually imagine.
Yes, this was supposed to be the opportunity to introduce "high fantasy" to the series, the right way. I have moved on from this series, I don't get my hopes up any more, but a well written book could bring me back, that and them actually making a well produced Dunk & Egg series, which is in production. Between GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss, fukk them *pause* you have Sanderson putting out 15 anvil sized, well written books a year, and these two mutha fukkas can't even finish a fukking book.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
That's a good point, I went down a rabbit hole. These theory videos are okay, but it does take away from the books.
I don't mind the theory videos and posts. They point out a lot of shyt I never would have caught just reading on my own. I just rewatched Alt Shift X's Euron video the other day to hype myself up for this reread I'm doing :banderas:

I'm mostly talking about places like Yi Ti and Asshai, or the mentions of the deep ones, etc though. I wouldn't want them to fully reveal or explain all of that because it ruins the mystique.
EDIT: Them meaning GRRM or whoever is writing these HBO shows, not the people making theory videos.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Yes, this was supposed to be the opportunity to introduce "high fantasy" to the series, the right way. I have moved on from this series, I don't get my hopes up any more, but a well written book could bring me back, that and them actually making a well produced Dunk & Egg series, which is in production. Between GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss, fukk them *pause* you have Sanderson putting out 15 anvil sized, well written books a year, and these two mutha fukkas can't even finish a fukking book.
Definitely looking forward to Dunk & Egg, and I agree I'm not too excited about any of the other GOT spin offs in production right now. I'm there on opening day buying Winds the first day it's released though. Even if it's trash, I need to see how this story plays out. I'm too invested at this point :yeshrug:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I don't see the appeal for the Jon Snow show at all. The mysteries in the North turned out to be duds in the show, GRRM hasn't provided a good story in that area of the universe afaik.
House of the Dragon has great source material which is why I want to see it, Jon Snow show is some idea made up by Kit Harrington, its good enough to convince HBO, but so were season 7 and 8 of GoT :francis:
Agreed give Jon snow and the OG GOT a rest.

They fukked it up it is what it is.

Time for a show about the First Long Night and the birth of HOUSE STARK.

A show about Jon snow would have to count on the other actors wanting to be tied to this show again. I imagine actors want new shyt to do.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
It's the whole Cosmic Horror thing going on out there. There are alot of HP Lovecraft references throughout Westeros. Old Gods, etc. shyt, even Euron falls into that whole thing. Too bad the show wasted a great actor and storyline :francis:
I'm glad those two dweebs haven't had a hit show since ..or project.

You just know studio heads are looking at how they fukked up GOT...have they had a project since GOT?

I.know they had some.bullshyt confederates win the war bullshyt.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad those two dweebs haven't had a hit show since ..or project.

You just know studio heads are looking at how they fukked up GOT...have they had a project since GOT?

I.know they had some.bullshyt confederates win the war bullshyt.

Netflix bagged them for The Three-Body Problem adaptation.

Samwell Tarly and Davos will be in it.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
We got the :flabbynsick: straight to DVD crow's eye on the show. No swagged it valaryian steel armor. No horn. Just a simp.:francis:

I hate that Roy passed. I loved the voice he did for him.
Yeah, Roy was the OG triple OG, I hope that GRRM suffers for all the genuine fans that have died before they get an ending. John Lee does a good job with the D&E books, but if GRRm could bag a Michael Kramer or a Tim Gerard Reynolds (best narrator for my money) that would be dope

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You could def do Aegon's Conquest and add intrigue. The show could make Westerosi house leaders supporting characters so you see their preparations and plots against Aegon, ultimately ending in defeat or alliances. Torrhen Stark could play a major role for instance, ultimately ending in him bending the knee.

IMO these shows will only work with dragons. I love Dunk & Egg but I'd bet money it won't be successful. Aegon's Conquest is the next best prequel idea, after Dance Of Dragons. You'd get three grown dragons and two badass main female characters. Plus the Dornish angle would be very interesting. They almost assassinated Aegon, if it wasn't for Viseynia saving him. And of course they killed Aegon's other wife and her dragon.
I see the complete opposite. Using dragons as a crutch every time is gonna run it's course

Game Of Thrones wasn't a hit because of dragons. It was a hit because of fukkery, morally ambiguous characters, and drama

And just like Robert's Rebellion nikkas don't want Aegon's conquest like they think they do

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really want to see Dunk & Egg and the Blackfyre rebellions done first before they go into Aegon's conquest. Robert's rebellion as well.
Aegon's conquest or The Long Night are just too far back to have the same political intrigue.

I think my ideal scenario would be to start a show about Robert's rebellion in about 10 years and have it go right into ASOIAF for a redo :wow:
I need to see Stannis and Beric Dondarrion done right, plus the inclusion of Wyman Manderly and Lady Stoneheart. They can do the conquest after that.
Let it go breh:mjlol:

You redo Game Of Thrones nikkas need to go to therapy

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some of the posts in the show thread has me think, the fire and blood shyt don't really mention no outlandish magic and shyt. I thought the magic disappeared with the dragons. Where the glass candles and shyt at?
Magic only "disappeared" in Westeros, a relatively developed society. The wildings are far north seeing all kinds of fukkery. The Night King is out there somewhere

Faceless men and Red worshippers out East. Melisandre running around somewhere

Also Fire And Blood is written from the perspective of maesters, who are scholars that don't believe in magic

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
Magic only "disappeared" in Westeros, a relatively developed society. The wildings are far north seeing all kinds of fukkery. The Night King is out there somewhere

Faceless men and Red worshippers out East. Melisandre running around somewhere

Also Fire And Blood is written from the perspective of maesters, who are scholars that don't believe in magic
The last point you made is important, GRRM specifically dropped that shyt in, I always thought that was a cool little thing.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
I don't mind the theory videos and posts. They point out a lot of shyt I never would have caught just reading on my own. I just rewatched Alt Shift X's Euron video the other day to hype myself up for this reread I'm doing :banderas:

I'm mostly talking about places like Yi Ti and Asshai, or the mentions of the deep ones, etc though. I wouldn't want them to fully reveal or explain all of that because it ruins the mystique.
EDIT: Them meaning GRRM or whoever is writing these HBO shows, not the people making theory videos.

Yi Ti would have absolutely crushed most of the Seven Kingdoms if it came to war.

"Yi Ti is one of the oldest and most advanced societies in the known world. It was already ancient when the Valyrians were still shepherds and had not yet trained dragons (over 5,000 years ago); even the ruins of fallen cities in Yi Ti dwarf the largest cities in Westeros. Many valuable commodities - such as rare spices, gems, and silks - are found in Yi Ti, making the region incredibly wealthy; its princes are said to live opulently in houses of solid gold, feasting on meat powdered with pearls and jade - if the stories can be believed.[4].

Unlike the other ancient civilizations of Essos, such as the Ghiscari Empire and the Valyrian Freehold, Yi Ti never collapsed due to internal instability. Nor has it ever been been conquered by outside forces. Thus Yi Tish culture has endured unbroken longer than any other civilization on record.

Yi Ti's religion includes several gods but is focused around two primary deities: the Maiden-Made-of-Light and the Lion of Night.[5]"