A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Started my reread of ASOIAF :blessed:

Probably my 4th or 5th time. Haven't read Fire & Blood yet and what I do know about the Dance is mostly vague recollection, so I'm going to keep that story some what fresh for the show and power through the OG books to keep me distracted so I don't get tempted to push ahead to F&B.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
@Araña :mjgrin: What spoilers you can't discuss, friend?
If you read affc prologue and the Adwd chapter where Theon has a talk with Barbrey dustin. In both diff chapters barbrey and Maester marwyn who is like a black sheep on the citadel cause he likes magic and dragons and even is fukking around with glass candles come up with the same conclusion that the Maesters been plotting on the Targs.

Lord Rickard Stark Maester was a Hightower b*stard. Basically it was the hightowers all along they control the maesters and have a high influence in the church too the other bane in targs history.
But don't mind my opinion let me drop a quote from arch maester marwyn from the pate prologue chapter

“If I tell you, they may need to kill you too.” Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. “Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?” He spat. “The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can.”

That chapter goes even deeper than that cause they had a book that teaches everything you need to know to hatch dragons and they had it locked away in the citadel currently jacken haggard stole the book and the faceless men might have gotten a dragons egg from euron as payment for killing Balon Greyjoy whom in the books died of a mysterious fall.

And now on the new show they dropping subtle and not so subtle cues as to who is really plotting on the king and on the targs. Its pretty obvious qfter episode 2 who scheeming

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
If you read affc prologue and the Adwd chapter where Theon has a talk with Barbrey dustin. In both diff chapters barbrey and Maester marwyn who is like a black sheep on the citadel cause he likes magic and dragons and even is fukking around with glass candles come up with the same conclusion that the Maesters been plotting on the Targs.

Lord Rickard Stark Maester was a Hightower b*stard. Basically it was the hightowers all along they control the maesters and have a high influence in the church too the other bane in targs history.
But don't mind my opinion let me drop a quote from arch maester marwyn from the pate prologue chapter

“If I tell you, they may need to kill you too.” Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. “Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?” He spat. “The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can.”

That chapter goes even deeper than that cause they had a book that teaches everything you need to know to hatch dragons and they had it locked away in the citadel currently jacken haggard stole the book and the faceless men might have gotten a dragons egg from euron as payment for killing Balon Greyjoy whom in the books died of a mysterious fall.

And now on the new show they dropping subtle and not so subtle cues as to who is really plotting on the king and on the targs. Its pretty obvious qfter episode 2 who scheeming
Not saying you're wrong, because I think it could be true as well, but it's worth noting that Marwyn isn't a trustworthy source. He's played as the resident crack pot, like a Maester Alex Jones. In that quote alone he implies Aemon was sent to the wall, when Aemon himself made the choice.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
Not saying you're wrong, because I think it could be true as well, but it's worth noting that Marwyn isn't a trustworthy source. He's played as the resident crack pot, like a Maester Alex Jones. In that quote alone he implies Aemon was sent to the wall, when Aemon himself made the choice.
Nah breh he never said he was sent there, he said why he was allowed to waste there. He went so they wouldn't plot on his brother. But once his brother passed with heirs why didn't they raise him huh cause they wanted as many targs out the paint as possible. Again there where lots of generations of targs that still had eggs but lost the knowledge on how to hatch them but the citadel had the knowledge all along. There are also more theories that go even deeper than that but that's just a crazy rabbit hole based on genetics etc etc. For example that you don't need much valyrian blood to ride a dragon but you need a lot in order to be able to hatch them. And how they kept preventing certaing targ bloodlines from merging cause they would have produced dragon hatchers. And they tried to get them all out the paint in summerhall. Preston Jacobs has a great series on this called the genetics of dragons or something like that.

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Nah breh he never said he was sent there, he said why he was allowed to waste there. He went so they wouldn't plot on his brother. But once his brother passed with heirs why didn't they raise him huh
Because once you take the black you relinquish all titles. No one kept him from becoming archmaester but himself:yeshrug:
By the time his brother died he was already a member of the nights watch.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
Because once you take the black you relinquish all titles. No one kept him from becoming archmaester but himself:yeshrug:
By the time his brother died he was already a member of the nights watch.
Ii so what about the maesters organizing the southron ambitions. Why hide the books on dragonlore from the dragonlords. Again is not just against the targs they are anti magic. Marwyn is a crazy dude but guess who trained mirry maz durr the lady that inadvertently started the bloodmagic ritual for the dragons to be reborn. Yes you guessed that right Marwyn. And his crazy ass is headed towards Dany now. Well if we ever get the book. Cause once this show starts doing awards season this dude gonna be all up in the video not writing :russ: its funny because its true :mjcry:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Nah breh he never said he was sent there, he said why he was allowed to waste there. He went so they wouldn't plot on his brother. But once his brother passed with heirs why didn't they raise him huh cause they wanted as many targs out the paint as possible. Again there where lots of generations of targs that still had eggs but lost the knowledge on how to hatch them but the citadel had the knowledge all along. There are also more theories that go even deeper than that but that's just a crazy rabbit hole based on genetics etc etc. For example that you don't need much valyrian blood to ride a dragon but you need a lot in order to be able to hatch them. And how they kept preventing certaing targ bloodlines from merging cause they would have produced dragon hatchers. And they tried to get them all out the paint in summerhall. Preston Jacobs has a great series on this called the genetics of dragons or something like that.
lol @ Preston Jacobs I used to watch all his shyt when I actually had hope for the other 2 books coming out. How is he taking the series not being finished?

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Ii so what about the maesters organizing the southron ambitions. Why hide the books on dragonlore from the dragonlords. Again is not just against the targs they are anti magic. Marwyn is a crazy dude but guess who trained mirry maz durr the lady that inadvertently started the bloodmagic ritual for the dragons to be reborn. Yes you guessed that right Marwyn. And his crazy ass is headed towards Dany now. Well if we ever get the book. Cause once this show starts doing awards season this dude gonna be all up in the video not writing :russ: its funny because its true :mjcry:
Yeah, I'm aware of the theories. I'm just pointing out that that's all they are for now, theories. It's theorized they're hiding the book on dragons at the citadel, but there's no proof they hid books on dragons from the Targaryens at kings landing or dragon stone. I just think you shouldn't speak about these things as fact. There is evidence in the books that these theories could be true (some theories more than others), but we won't actually know for sure until the next books are released.

People who haven't read the book might take your word as fact, when it's really just (evidence based) guessing

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
Yeah, I'm aware of the theories. I'm just pointing out that that's all they are for now, theories. It's theorized they're hiding the book on dragons at the citadel, but there's no proof they hid books on dragons from the Targaryens at kings landing or dragon stone. I just think you shouldn't speak about these things as fact. There is evidence in the books that these theories could be true (some theories more than others), but we won't actually know for sure until the next books are released.

People who haven't read the book might take your word as fact, when it's really just (evidence based) guessing
Good points but there are sprinkles here and there for example Tyrion is obsessed with dragons and he is an avid reader and he found a rare book in winterfell that he didn't see on kings landing or anywhere else wasnt that specific book about the spells it was a another book on dragons by septon barth. Again not confirming nothing maybe those books in kings landing got burned by crazy ass Baelor the blessed.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Good points but there are sprinkles here and there for example Tyrion is obsessed with dragons and he is an avid reader and he found a rare book in winterfell that he didn't see on kings landing or anywhere else wasnt that specific book about the spells it was a another book on dragons by septon barth. Again not confirming nothing maybe those books in kings landing got burned by crazy ass Baelor the blessed.
I've heard every thing else so far but I actually didn't know that about Tyrion with the book at Winterfell. :patrice:

After years of reading theories it's going to be fun to see what I can pick up on reread now.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
I've heard every thing else so far but I actually didn't know that about Tyrion with the book at Winterfell. :patrice:

After years of reading theories it's going to be fun to see what I can pick up on reread now.
Might have been the wall but im pretty sure it was winterfell.

First Book is full of hints and foreshadowing. Also some hints to some abandoned plot threads like Jaime Becoming king.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Melissandre needs some more POV chapters, would like to hear about her time in Asshai :

"In Essos, far past Qarth on the southern edge of the known world, sits a mysterious and ancient port city known as Asshai (pronounced “uh-shy”). It is large enough to hold four massive cities but has only a small number of citizens. Its origins aren’t even known to the few who dwell there, but contained in its massive black walls is old and powerful knowledge—of magic, wonder, dragons, and sorcery. Outside the city are horrors even the most fearless men won’t travel to, for even the Lord of Light’s touch can not pierce the darkness of the Shadow Lands Asshai calls home. "