A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Dude just needs to let someone else finish them shyts he’s done.:hhh:
I been saying this but after the way D&D handled his baby i doubt he will ever let someone finish. Im still kinda of the belief they are maybe done and they are waiting for him to die to release them.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Pathetic. I haven't cared in awhile but this is just laughable. I waited for ADWD...that was a long ass, ugly wait. And I understood why it kept getting delayed - because Martin explained the process, how the Dany situation in Mereen was difficult to solve, and ultimately how he solved it (Barristan getting a POV). With Winds we have no real framework of understanding what's going on.

All we know is that 200 pages were moved from Dance to Winds. Which means he started out with 200 pages...in 2011...and still isn't done. My bet? He has too many pages and doesn't want to admit he has to add another book.

Only thing that stuns me is he watched those clowns butcher his creation in the final season/finale and STILL wasn't motivated to finish in a timely manner. Yikes.

Winds of Winter isn't the last book.:francis:

A Dream of Spring.

:mjcry:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Started going through the audiobooks again. Put the last two together and listening as one. Bunch of little things I forgot happened or got confused with shyt that happened on the show.

:shaq2: Don't matter. I'll forget again before the shyt is ever released.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Winds of Winter isn't the last book.:francis:

A Dream of Spring.

:mjcry:

I know, I'm saying he's not finishing in seven books and is too shook to admit it. I think this book is gonna be halved again or something. Chapters have gotten longer, POV count is growing, and he hasn't been killing characters like he used to. Stark contrast to the first three books where chapters moved briskly and were shorter, often skipping journeys. Think about like...Catelyn getting from Winterfell to Kings Landing in the first book. In one chapter she decides to go to KL...and then the very next chapter her ship is docking in KL. The Martin of AFFC/ADWD would have had Catelyn traveling there for two chapters, where she broods and observes various world building/lore things.

Example: Arianne's sample chapters for Winds. I won't go into spoilers but two chapters have been released for her. In the first chapter she is traveling to meet an important person. In the second chapter, she is still traveling to meet that person. By the end of that chapter, she meets some people who offer to take her to that important person. So basically she has two travel chapters and doesn't even meet the important person. The meeting will presumably happen in her third chapter. To me that's a terrible use of chapters, when there are 16+ POV characters to juggle with multiple chapters.

When you multiply that type of story progression across multiple characters, it seems impossible to end up with only a 1500 manuscript page book (ie about 1000 pages in printed form). I think he's closer to 2000 or 2500 manuscript pages....

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Sanderson did a vid last week where he broke down how much time is spent travelling just going to conventions and book signings and all that...and how COVID shutdowns essentially gave him the time he needed to write five books in about a year/18 months(!) because he wasn't making appearances as much. Not that Martin should have the exact same output, but still...I've been saying this for years. The man is living the neckbeard dream, and he's not about to switch that up for anything.

JK Rowling is Scrooge McDuck status with the money but she can't run about making appearances and all that. She's too far beyond the process at this point. It's the process that has Martin hooked. He's probably finished several(if not all) ASoIaF books and just not turned them in. That's his big thing, what he's known for...he can stretch this whole thing out with extended "lore" content and shows as long as he pleases while the suits wait for the big score on the main books. Why would he want the party to stop?

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I know, I'm saying he's not finishing in seven books and is too shook to admit it. I think this book is gonna be halved again or something. Chapters have gotten longer, POV count is growing, and he hasn't been killing characters like he used to. Stark contrast to the first three books where chapters moved briskly and were shorter, often skipping journeys. Think about like...Catelyn getting from Winterfell to Kings Landing in the first book. In one chapter she decides to go to KL...and then the very next chapter her ship is docking in KL. The Martin of AFFC/ADWD would have had Catelyn traveling there for two chapters, where she broods and observes various world building/lore things.

Example: Arianne's sample chapters for Winds. I won't go into spoilers but two chapters have been released for her. In the first chapter she is traveling to meet an important person. In the second chapter, she is still traveling to meet that person. By the end of that chapter, she meets some people who offer to take her to that important person. So basically she has two travel chapters and doesn't even meet the important person. The meeting will presumably happen in her third chapter. To me that's a terrible use of chapters, when there are 16+ POV characters to juggle with multiple chapters.

When you multiply that type of story progression across multiple characters, it seems impossible to end up with only a 1500 manuscript page book (ie about 1000 pages in printed form). I think he's closer to 2000 or 2500 manuscript pages....

maybe, but that's what editors are for. Personally I think he's trying to re-work the ending after D&D f*cked it up and he hasn't been able to crack it yet.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is spot on. He should just admit that to himself and the writing would come easier. Instead he convinced himself that his work on the spin-offs is the most important thing he’s doing.

the mental gymnastics are ridic. fukk him. I remember someone on here said the malazan series was piff so trying to get into that but the first book is kind of just ok so far.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
maybe, but that's what editors are for. Personally I think he's trying to re-work the ending after D&D f*cked it up and he hasn't been able to crack it yet.

Remember he vetoed nearly every decision his editor suggested in Dance. The only suggestion he took was arguably the WORST one - removing the two major battles, which the book built up to, from Dance and putting them in Winds.

I don't think he's changing much of anything, I just think he's got way too many chapters and can't fit it in. If Arianne has 3 chapters, how many does Arya get? Cersei? Dany? I think he's looking at a massive book trying to half it brehs...I always want to bet money on it. He's prob concerned that people will think it's a money grab to turn what was gonna be 7 into 8 books. I wont view it that way. I just think he's a piss poor planned and has too many characters to get away with not having outlines anymore.

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
It seems clear he's taking on as many projects as he can for a built in excuse to NOT finish the books

He either could not give less of a shyt (likely) or else he is terrified of finishing it and being torn apart by fans like the show was

These books aren't coming out til he's 6 feet under