A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Especiqlly since we have read like 25% of Winds already with virtually no plot progression

I haven't read any of his previews waiting for them when he finishes WoW - I know, I know, but I still believe he'll get that book done eventually, ADOS though? no fukking way -, but he has released 200 pages worth of material already???? :dwillhuh:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I haven't read any of his previews waiting for them when he finishes WoW - I know, I know, but I still believe he'll get that book done eventually, ADOS though? no fukking way -, but he has released 200 pages worth of material already???? :dwillhuh:
I exaggerated. I think we got 11 chapters which would be 13% of ASOS length

And there is some plot progression, just not much.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I agree some parts are GRRMs ending, Dany going mad queen, Jon killing Dany especially. But I refuse to believe the books end with some 'we'll go for an elective monarchy because we are suddenly sick of war and politics' nonsense.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I agree some parts are GRRMs ending, Dany going mad queen, Jon killing Dany especially. But I refuse to believe the books end with some 'we'll go for an elective monarchy because we are suddenly sick of war and politics' nonsense.

That shyt has happened in the books already. When there is no clear heir or the heir doesn't want the throne they will call on all the lords of the different kingdoms to come together to decide who will rule. It usually ends up messy.

I can see Jon killing Dany in the books and then going up north and leaving everyone else to figure it out.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
That shyt has happened in the books already. When there is no clear heir or the heir doesn't want the throne they will call on all the lords of the different kingdoms to come together to decide who will rule. It usually ends up messy.

I can see Jon killing Dany in the books and then going up north and leaving everyone else to figure it out.
Other than the kingsmoot (which has not only nobles choosing) this hasn't happened in the books afaik (might be in fire and blood, haven't finished it yet). Even then my main gripe with that particular scene is only the North going independent, disbanding the seven kingdoms all together would make a lot more sense.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Exactly. It doesn't end in a traitor convincing all the lords to support a cripple that nobody knows as king.

Jon killing Dany is probably the third major twist/shock that Martin told them. But how we get there will be extremely different. Namely, Cersei won't be queen. "Aegon" will be king, and likely burn parts of the city (via Connington). I could see Aegon being somewhat popular given his education and training. Meanwhile Dany will be seen as a mad queen at the head of a savage army.

Only thing I wonder about...how does Martin have time to get Dany back to Meereen to defeat the slave armies (or possibly free the city again, if Barristan's army is defeated by the slavers)...

...then get her army on ships heading to (presumably Dragon's Stone)

...then get her to the north somehow, after hearing about the undead

---then go through a major battle with the undead, presumably

---then get her to KL to deal with Aegon

etc etc

I've been thinking about something for years...at what point in TWOW will she even get to Meereen? Halfway? If so, wouldn't the book end with her on ships heading to Westeros? Meaning the last book would have to do some very heavy lifting and have great pacing to do everything she needs to do.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Exactly. It doesn't end in a traitor convincing all the lords to support a cripple that nobody knows as king.

Jon killing Dany is probably the third major twist/shock that Martin told them. But how we get there will be extremely different. Namely, Cersei won't be queen. "Aegon" will be king, and likely burn parts of the city (via Connington). I could see Aegon being somewhat popular given his education and training. Meanwhile Dany will be seen as a mad queen at the head of a savage army.

Only thing I wonder about...how does Martin have time to get Dany back to Meereen to defeat the slave armies (or possibly free the city again, if Barristan's army is defeated by the slavers)...

...then get her army on ships heading to (presumably Dragon's Stone)

...then get her to the north somehow, after hearing about the undead

---then go through a major battle with the undead, presumably

---then get her to KL to deal with Aegon

etc etc

I've been thinking about something for years...at what point in TWOW will she even get to Meereen? Halfway? If so, wouldn't the book end with her on ships heading to Westeros? Meaning the last book would have to do some very heavy lifting and have great pacing to do everything she needs to do.
There will need to be a third book or the book series will suffer a similar fate to the show.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My issue was the execution and that was only really in the last 2 1/2 episodes tbh . Im Pretty sure Most of these major beats will happen even bran thing to me

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
i tried to start his second book (on the advice that i'd be wasting my time with the first as it was thoroughly covered in the tv show and the only other thing i'd get from it is the extra colorful language) and it was a chore...

1) should i give these another shot, i know there is a lot of story left out the show, but is it worth what some describe as a cumbersome read?
2) should i start these given there is no timeline for book 6 - like will i be pissed to end up at a cliffhanger and be stuck with the bullshyt d&d are doing as my ending?

You should give it another shot. IIRC, I struggled on the 3rd book (I think that's the book when Mountain's brother was Arya Stark's bodyguard for awhile). That might have been due to burn out. I was reading the books every night, sleeping mad late, no breaks. But the story for those 5 books are make worthwhile. Far better than the show, IMO.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I need to see valyrian armor, swagged out Crow's Eye, not that straight to dvd bs we got.

I gotta know what jacquen hagoat up to.

I need a Howland Reed appearance.

Rickon and shaggy dog ain't going out like that.

I could keep going. :mjcry: trash ass ending did nothing but make me want the books more.

:to:Prolly gonna fukk around and listen to the audio books again.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
He would probably need a 3rd book to tie it all together but he ain't even releasing anything beyond maybe the current. It just ain't happening. I don't think he has the desire to end it because he got lost in other ideas and characters that he wanted to explore. Plus, if this is indeed where most of the major players are ending up why would he bother releasing it now? He says and makes a point that yes everything would be fleshed out but without a couple new "twists" to the story people are just gonna say well it's the same as the show. You don't want to throw more twists in there either because then it'd become nonsensical.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
When you get to the end of that 5th book, you're gonna be pissed that the 6th book has taken so long to drop.
Yeah, but your also gonna be busy consuming the novellas and the world building. This series and all the additional resources really consumed me for years. I have since taken a breather, but as soon as we get a release date, I’ll dive back in.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think GRRM started to appreciate Tyrion's character more after seeing Peter Dinklage's performance.

So I wouldn't doubt that inspiring GRRM trying to give Tyrion an even bigger role in the book series and prove to be pivotal in how the book series concludes as well.

But let's be for real: GRRM's A Dream of Spring is dropping the same day as Dr Dre's Detox. :francis: