A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
A few things about the books:

- They are told in sections through the eyes of certain characters, and so you only get the narrative from these characters, aka Tyrion but not Robb Stark.

- He takes the time to describe scenes in painstaking details, aka exactly what they are eating and drinking

- Lots of details on the various houses and lore and can make you pause reading to try and put them all together.

If your not much of a reader or aren’t super interested in the world of Westeros, it’s definitely a chore. However, if you can get into it, it will grip you.

Also, reading the Red Wedding was the only time in my life I have started talking and saying shyt like “GTFO!” While reading a book. My wife was like “wtf are you going on about?? “While I had put the book down and started pacing and talking out loud in disbelief lmao!
That one Cersei chapter where she was describing the difference in the coarseness of pubic hair between Robert and Jamie:dame:

She'd jerk off robert while he was passed out:loldame:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The TV show seemed to say nevermind about Winter so right there it is vastly different.
I think there will be a lot of ins and outs, story lines started and ended that they never hint at on the show and new and different characters doing what the main stays of the TV show do. But ultimately, the books probably end the same place this show does.

noob_saibot

All Star
Daps
Isn’t it possible that he’s just waiting for the show to end so he can completely shyt on it with the books? It’s known that he hates the show and practically has nothing to do with it to the point he doesn’t even watch it

From his blog:

That seems to be happening right now. All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet… do I need to say that too? It boggles me that anyone would believe this story, even for an instant. It makes not a whit of sense. Why would I sit for years on completed novels? Why would my publishers — not just here in the US, but all around the world — ever consent to this? They make millions and millions of dollars every time a new Ice & Fire book comes out, as do I. Delaying makes no sense. Why would HBO want the books delayed? The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.

So… no, the books are not done. HBO did not ask me to delay them. Nor did David & Dan. There is no “deal” to hold back on the books. I assure you, HBO and David & Dan would both have been thrilled and delighted if THE WINDS OF WINTER had been delivered and published four or five years ago… and NO ONE would have been more delighted than me.

It's obvious he's not even close to finish twow, there's no hope for Ados.. The last time I had sympathy for him was after his new year's post about how it was a struggle to write it, but several years later and he's still not even close to finishing, you can only laugh..

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
i tried to start his second book (on the advice that i'd be wasting my time with the first as it was thoroughly covered in the tv show and the only other thing i'd get from it is the extra colorful language) and it was a chore...

1) should i give these another shot, i know there is a lot of story left out the show, but is it worth what some describe as a cumbersome read?
2) should i start these given there is no timeline for book 6 - like will i be pissed to end up at a cliffhanger and be stuck with the bullshyt d&d are doing as my ending?
It's up to you. The books are way better than the show. I ain't find them cumbersome, in fact i found the shyts easy as hell to get lost in. I started reading after Petyr betrayed Ned on the show though, so outside of the first half of the first book, i ain't have a point of reference. Being that you've already watched the show, shyt might be different. I still think there are enough differences and i don't think you should skip the first book. You'd miss prophecies, and foreshadowing and shyt, and as much as the show shows you, you can never see a character's thoughts.

Last edited:

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
i tried to start his second book (on the advice that i'd be wasting my time with the first as it was thoroughly covered in the tv show and the only other thing i'd get from it is the extra colorful language) and it was a chore...

1) should i give these another shot, i know there is a lot of story left out the show, but is it worth what some describe as a cumbersome read?
2) should i start these given there is no timeline for book 6 - like will i be pissed to end up at a cliffhanger and be stuck with the bullshyt d&d are doing as my ending?
So I'm doing this too. What has been working for me is I got the books and the audio books, so i go back and forth between the 2. its made it easier for me. I'll start out reading, then listen, then read.

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC

I also started with the second book and didn't like it. Then I went back and read the first book and that made reading the second much easier. There are a lot of nuances, side characters, mysteries, and so forth in the first that carry over to the second. Also, Storm of Swords is one of the best books I've ever read in any genre; part of what makes reading that book so rewarding is the payoff from all the build-up in the first two books.

Eh, I'd say it really doesn't become tedious until the fourth book. The plot slows to a glacial pace compared to what came before. There's a lot of good stuff in the last two books, but you can tell he lost control of his own story at that point.

And the some of the stories left out by the show are fukking epic in their own right. Definitely makes reading the books worthwhile.

You will be pissed off and left hanging. And if you're disappointed in the show now, the books will fukking ruin it for you. But I think what Martin has given us so far is worth the frustration I can guarantee you will feel

noob_saibot

All Star
Daps

Honestly I wouldn't recommend starting the books now, especially since it's very likely there won't be an end to it. Plus if you think the 2nd book is a chore, you'll seriously struggle with books 4 and 5 imo, those were really hard to get through for me, plot moves so slowly and it's so boring(I know lots of other people who liked it though, so this part might not apply to you)

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
What?

I thought it was a very GRRM ending, minus D&D having no idea how to get there.

I said it in the show thread, he is not M Night Shamy. He writes about the human heart. Jon stabbing Dany is his climax, and it is a beautiful one.

I wish D&D understood how to tell it better, but that ship sailed years ago

noob_saibot

All Star
Daps
Ending definitely feels like GRRM's ending, just executed really poorly..

I don't see how he planned to get there in 2 books though without it being rushed or a lot of the side plots being useless. Him not finishing the books might have worked out in his favour.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Ending definitely feels like GRRM's ending, just executed really poorly..

I don't see how he planned to get there in 2 books though without it being rushed or a lot of the side plots being useless. Him not finishing the books might have worked out in his favour.
Yeah i was thinking about that. With BOTH aegon and euron floating out there i dont see how 2 books can happen.

Especiqlly since we have read like 25% of Winds already with virtually no plot progression