A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Only reason i say they may have caused it is cuz nobody knows wtf happened that day still, shyt just got real and the entire place went up in smoke :yeshrug:

It's implied the Faceless men from Braavos did it

The Valyrians practiced slavery. There was nowhere to escape them because they controlled Valyria and the entire Western half of Essos (Volantis, Myr, Tyrosh, Lys, Andalos, Meereen, etc). But some slaves got out anyway and escaped. The Valyrian Freehold knew they were going to a city called Braavos but, no one could find Braavos' location. It's implied the Faceless Men of Braavos caused the Doom through magic to destroy the Valyrian Freehold once and for all.

I prefer that myth. I just can't see Bran being down with genocide, causing a cataclysmic event that killed millions of Valyrians. It strays too close to the "For The Greater Good" mindset for me :patrice:

Actually, in "The World of Ice and Fire" it flat out states plain as day that the Faceless Men caused it

It states that the volcanoes of Valyria were being held in check by magicians of Valyria. The Faceless Men killed all those magicians, and with no one to keep them in check, the 14 volcanoes all erupted and destroyed the region

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
It's implied the Faceless men from Braavos did it

The Valyrians practiced slavery. There was nowhere to escape them because they controlled Valyria and the entire Western half of Essos (Volantis, Myr, Tyrosh, Lys, Andalos, Meereen, etc). But some slaves got out anyway and escaped. The Valyrian Freehold knew they were going to a city called Braavos but, no one could find Braavos' location. It's implied the Faceless Men of Braavos caused the Doom through magic to destroy the Valyrian Freehold once and for all.

I prefer that myth. I just can't see Bran being down with genocide, causing a cataclysmic event that killed millions of Valyrians. It strays too close to the "For The Greater Good" mindset for me :patrice:
I didnt know Bran was down with mentally destroying someone for 30+ years before this episode

I aint puttin shyt past the lil nikka no more :manny:

My money's on the people who have the stronest magic and right now it's Bran and Bryden

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Actually, in "The World of Ice and Fire" it flat out states plain as day that the Faceless Men caused it

It states that the volcanoes of Valyria were being held in check by magicians of Valyria. The Faceless Men killed all those magicians, and with no one to keep them in check, the 14 volcanoes all erupted and destroyed the region
:ehh: i still havent finished reading it

Once they got into the lesser families it got way too :russell: for me, Targaryen family history was flames tho and all of the first men stuff

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
im overwhelmed brehs

the song of ice and fire is is stark and targaryen, bloodraven and bran, not jon and dany. the latter two will be opponents in war. jon isnt the type to start showing targaryen sympathies just because he finds out who his dad is, he was birthed and raised by starks and he's cool with sansa again. dany doesn't give a fukk about the starks and won't be won over

i know that's not a huge revelation but seeing the foundations laid for this is different than just speculating with good reason

bran and brynden have been running this westeros shyt since day one. even before (in a sense) he crept north of the wall, brynden was a sorcerer, fukkin with shiera seastar bathing in blood and having a thousand eyes, plus one. he was time traveling back then to help himself thwart blackfyre rebellions and give some legitimized b*stard from the riverlands (himself) the ability to see and know things he had no business knowing

he killed aenys blackfyre to guarantee he'd be sent to the wall, where he could slip away and wait a century+ for bran, the prince who was promised the north

he knows everything, he is everything :damn:

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
so is it possible that bran is responsible for driving aerys to madness? Did bran cause Roberts rebellion?

We need this fukking book brehs. For every answer we get, we get even more questions. :mjcry:

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
God, in all honesty - how does the King's Landing stuff even get resolved? Does it even matter at this point? We all know Dany's story arch will get tied into Jon/Others/CoTF/ storyarch.

In the show, I think whatever happens with the Tyrell army and the faith leads to the city being in absolute ruins by the end of the season which makes it ripe for danys arrival at the beginning of next season.

In the books, it's going to be (f)aegon who invades as chaos ensues with some sort of uprising following cerseis trial by combat and the attempt to save Margery from trial. (F)aegon invades the city and the battle leaves the city completely destroyed.

:yeshrug: That's my best guess, I really have no idea what is going to happen anymore. After that last episode I'm questioning everything I thought would be true.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps

Not exactly. The WOIAF is an in-universe source, meaning it doesn't have an omniscient narrator, and that is just one viewpoint among several presented. The Kindly Man implied to Arya that they eventually brought the "gift" to the Valyrian slavemasters as well, but we don't know that they killed enough of the powerful sorcerers to cause the Doom.

I'm fond of the theory myself, I like the idea that the most magically gifted, richest and most powerful people on Planetos were destroyed by the lowest of the low, their slaves. I'm just saying that it's not confirmed.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know about that.....they'd be committing genocide killing off a million Valyrians :patrice:

I think they knew the Doom was going to happen and had no part in it and they could have warned ONE FAMILY (Targaryens) to come to Westeros. Which makes sense. Because at the time, Valyrians thought the Targaryens were crazy/stupid for having an island in Westeros. So it would line up with that Targaryen ancestor having visions to leave.

Yeah the targaryens would be the only family they could warn because they were closer and prob came to westoros all the time. there are no weirwoods in essos so I can't see how they could have any effect over there.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bruh....but what if Bran is responsible for bringing Rheagar and Lyanna together to birth Jon because Jon IS the one to save Westeros. Bran could be connected to the Knight of the Laughing Tree story somehow

fukk
Now I am certain bran is the one to convince rhaegar to become a warrior

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
So with all these new theories it's basically ssfe to say bran is God and Jon Snow is Jesus :ehh:

:heh:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
so is it possible that bran is responsible for driving aerys to madness? Did bran cause Roberts rebellion?

We need this fukking book brehs. For every answer we get, we get even more questions. :mjcry:
i think this might be playing a step too far. aerys is still a "coin-flipped" targaryen and robert was still a brash young lord who got his girl took by a young OG, and rhaegar was influenced by prophecy but still acting on his own accord.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill