A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I knew this was going to happen. Even if he put out the book by April, there's no god damn way I'd be able to read it all before the show started. I'm OK with it though. I'm probably one of the few book readers who enjoys the show, so I look forward to seeing the story progress either way.

GRRM might even take people's feedback from the show and end it differently. I'd prefer if he put out the best version possible as opposed to some half assed rush job.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
fukk it.... im just going to watch the series. Wont be the same but what can you do :yeshrug:.
His writing will get slower and slower as the story comes to an end, just imagine all the stories he has to end, all the characters he has to keep track of :mindblown:.
it's just mind numbing. Not to mention he is getting older and older and has more distractions than he had in the past

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Only a couple people on this forum read the books before the TV show started. I didn't read the books until after season 3. My enjoyment of the first 2 1/2 books was just as high as my enjoyment of the last 2 1/2 even though I already knew what would happen. The "shock" enjoyment happens either way, either by the book first or the show first. But the ability to immerse yourself in all the details does not go away just because you watched the show first.

Not to mention, the show has drastically diverted from the books in some areas and there will inevitably be fresh storylines in the books even after the series has ended.

There is really no reason to try and hold off until the book is released because even if TWOW comes out in the summer and you can avoid Game of Thrones until then, that doesn't change the fact that the ending will come first on the show and probably by multiple years.

I strongly suspect that the only major thing that the show will spoil from TWOW is Jon's parentage. And we already know that anyway. The other big reveals won't happen until ADOS.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Only a couple people on this forum read the books before the TV show started. I didn't read the books until after season 3. My enjoyment of the first 2 1/2 books was just as high as my enjoyment of the last 2 1/2 even though I already knew what would happen. The "shock" enjoyment happens either way, either by the book first or the show first. But the ability to immerse yourself in all the details does not go away just because you watched the show first.

Not to mention, the show has drastically diverted from the books in some areas and there will inevitably be fresh storylines in the books even after the series has ended.

There is really no reason to try and hold off until the book is released because even if TWOW comes out in the summer and you can avoid Game of Thrones until then, that doesn't change the fact that the ending will come first on the show and probably by multiple years.

I strongly suspect that the only major thing that the show will spoil from TWOW is Jon's parentage. And we already know that anyway. The other big reveals won't happen until ADOS.
The only thing I'll be disappointed in is finding out the way Jon finds out who he is via screen and not GRRM. But it could very well be done differently so :yeshrug:

I think the conclusions of the show will be a lot brighter than the books anyway

As long as ADOS actually comes out and the quality remains high, I'm cool

Daps
Yo Can Anyone Hook Your Boy Up With The Hedge Knight Stories And The World Of Ice and Fire?

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Do yall really realize that we could be getting "promise me Ned" as the final scene this season :wow:

Blessed be the Old Gods :wow:

I have a feeling the show is going to show that scene and show the revival of Jon Snow Stark immediately after to end the episode. At least that's how I would do it. We might get it early or mid-season :lupe:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
So with Loras playing Iron Fist does this mean House Tyrell is about lost its best fighter?