A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
ok but why do a book adaptation if you gonna completely change a character and his motivations? u gotta expect people will have problems with it. everybody realizes things need to be changed to fit logistically which is why there werent as many complaints from season 1 thru 3 as there have been these last 2.

i got no problem with the ironborn being cut out even tho i liked their story, but skipping over balon's death?

no problem with combining all the sellsword companies that dany aquires into 1, but making the second sons disappear?

etc etc

cant expect people to not voice their gripes at this point

How do you know they skipped it?

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
Assuming no one on Stannis' side survived the siege, how would he know what happened? I mean, he pretty much knew Melisandre was going to try and sacrifice her but I think he thinks so highly of Stannis that he would think that Stannis wouldn't allow it. With everyone dying, Davos could easily assume that Shireen died in the siege & that could make him seek vengeance on Ramsey. Just saying. Unless Melisandre snitches on herself to him :yeshrug:
I think Davos was so persistent on taking Shireen to Castle Black because he knew Shireen would burn if Stannis got desperate. Believing this, it was surprising to me that Melisendre wasn't attacked after he asked after Shireen. As far as Stannis, I don't think he cared as much because he saw him as a lost cause.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
How do you know they skipped it?

Unless I missed it, they haven't mentioned it. Even if they still bring it up later, stannis lost so it loses its effect. 3 leeches, 3 names, 2 deaths. They could have squeezed that in there somewhere without logistical problems.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I think Davos was so persistent on taking Shireen to Castle Black because he knew Shireen would burn if Stannis got desperate. Believing this, it was surprising to me that Melisendre wasn't attacked after he asked after Shireen. As far as Stannis, I don't think he cared as much because he saw him as a lost cause.

Davos is the ultimate hype man. He went behind Stannis's back to sneak out Edric Storm (Gendry in the show). He would've done the same for Shireen if he didn't regain his faith in Stannis. I wouldn't be surprised if Davos kills Melisandre next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do it either. I sort of feel like they both need each other at this point.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Unless I missed it, they haven't mentioned it. Even if they still bring it up later, stannis lost so it loses its effect. 3 leeches, 3 names, 2 deaths. They could have squeezed that in there somewhere without logistical problems.

Once again thats you thinking about how that plot point affects what happens in the BOOKS. Euron is being cast for next season, so its safe to assume they still will address the Balon situation.

Jards

All Star
Daps
Lets not get it twisted though....i personally would have loved a word for word adaptation that lasted 12 seasons. I would have happily watched Brienne roam the Riverlands chatting with the small folk. I would have happily watch it take 3-4 seasons for Doran to reveal his plan to Arianne.

But lets be realistic here
Nah I'm glad they did it the way they did tbh. It was hard enough to read AFFC seeing it not go anywhere - I couldn't take watching that as well. Brienne and Sam were beyond fukking boring. The best part of the stories were the new characters like Arienne and the Greyjoys but it makes no sense to bring in a whole new bunch of characters in that show watchers would no investment in with only 2 or 3 seasons left when there's still shyt to go through for the current squad.

Tbf I enjoyed this season. My only gripes were minor ones - I thought the sand snake fighing scene was beyond ridiculous (use stunt doubles if the bytches can't fight) and the wack ass CGI when Dany was flying away on Drogon (shyt looked like a superman flick from the 80s). That's me being hypercritical though because drogons CGI up until Dany flew away was phenomenal and every time Tyene appeared on screen she gave me a hard on so she served her purpose.

I think when the bluerays, DVDs, whatever are released and people watch the eps back to back I think they'll be less harsh

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
Davos is the ultimate hype man. He went behind Stannis's back to sneak out Edric Storm (Gendry in the show). He would've done the same for Shireen if he didn't regain his faith in Stannis. I wouldn't be surprised if Davos kills Melisandre next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do it either. I sort of feel like they both need each other at this point.
I see Mel dying by Davos' hands in the books and in the show. Even if it means his own life.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Once again thats you thinking about how that plot point affects what happens in the BOOKS. Euron is being cast for next season, so its safe to assume they still will address the Balon situation.

So they don't mention the power of kings blood in the show? To be fair it's a minor issue but a ton of that little shyt gets annoying because like I said it isn't like they had to cut it out for logistical reasons. A quick mention to theon from Ramsey about his father's death would have worked just fine.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So they don't mention the power of kings blood in the show? To be fair it's a minor issue but a ton of that little shyt gets annoying because like I said it isn't like they had to cut it out for logistical reasons. A quick mention to theon from Ramsey about his father's death would have worked just fine.

Its real weird that they would cut that out, maybe he dies some other way on the show.