A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Nah breh I don't buy it.

Robert was tall and strong no doubt, but go to a gym and hand a sledgehammer or a splitting maul to a muscle bound giant and tell him to swing it. Dude will be out of breath in no time and even at the start his swings will be clumsy and recovery takes forever. A weapon that heavy wielded one handed it goes into retarded territory.

Two handed it makes more sense, but heres the thing, its still a fundamentally clumsy weapon. Against a gifted fighter like Rhaegar swinging wildly around you will bring you death rather quicklike. And to top it off he's gonna use it from horseback?

So yeah either people drawing those pictures are ignorant about historical weapons or Martin himself is misguided about the terms.

Martin made a mistake. The warhammer is really described the huge fantasy kind in the books.

Another thing to consider, maybe the reason why Rhaegar lost against Robert was because he was wearing a visor and was armored.

When the Red Viper was preparing to go against The Mountain, he made himself as light as possible and didn't wear full head protection (no visor)
Which makes complete sense because he'd need his peripheral vision to fight effectively against Gregor Clegane.

Which brings me to counter this post...

You're overestimating the speed of sword users. Dudes using longwords (which about every knight seems to use) one handed while also using shields aren't going to be that fast. Add to that that swords are going to glance off of armor unless they connect in an exact location while a war hammer is going to do damage and there's a quantity v quality advantage.

Bronn goes against Vardis wearing almost no protect gear at all. Vardis had a shield and was going full plate. Bronn decided to use evasion/speed and came out on top. I'm inclined to believe we'd get the same result if Bronn was facing a dude that had hammer and shield.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Martin made a mistake. The warhammer is really described the huge fantasy kind in the books.

Another thing to consider, maybe the reason why Rhaegar lost against Robert was because he was wearing a visor and was armored.

When the Red Viper was preparing to go against The Mountain, he made himself as light as possible and didn't wear full head protection (no visor)
Which makes complete sense because he'd need his peripheral vision to fight effectively against Gregor Clegane.

Which brings me to counter this post...

Bronn goes against Vardis wearing almost no protect gear at all. Vardis had a shield and was going full plate. Bronn decided to use evasion/speed and came out on top. I'm inclined to believe we'd get the same result if Bronn was facing a dude that had hammer and shield.

But this doesn't counter my post at all. Rhaegar was fully armored, i.e. not that fast. As a matter fact, you say as much in your own post.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
But this doesn't counter my post at all. Rhaegar was fully armored, i.e. not that fast. As a matter fact, you say as much in your own post.

My bad I was :zzz: while typing all that up. I didn't I mean to use "counter" but "concur".

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I'll agree with ya'll and say the DragonPrince's full plate was prolly his undoing. through the series we see that speed and cunning usually win fights...and had the Red Viper not gotten sluggish and the end of that fight dude would prolly still be around. Bronn prolly is one of the better pound for pound fighters in the series for the same reason Jamie was...he enjoys it, but he has an incredible will to live.

I'm interested to see the next book, we have the War in the North with Stannis and perhaps Jon (who will have "died" and been reborn, thus fufilling his pledge to the nights watch and can claim Winterfell in his fathers name) the War about to pop off in Mereen...im so hype but i know i gotta wait like forever

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Where is "Deadliest Warrior" when you need it?

And anybody else as curious as I am on what Martins gonna end up doing with Rickon? I know he's extremely young, but he and Reed are the only ones where we are basically completely left in the dark on.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Where is "Deadliest Warrior" when you need it?

And anybody else as curious as I am on what Martins gonna end up doing with Rickon? I know he's extremely young, but he and Reed are the only ones where we are basically completely left in the dark on.

Knowing Martin? No doubt he'll get ate on Skagos

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
i'm reading book 3 again...yeah brehs next april we are in for treats...

I totally forgot about the Hound fighting Dondarion...Jon and them climbing the wall...the mutiny at Craster's and everything that went down at Harrenhall with Jamie AND Dany swaggin on the entire Ghis region of Essos.....

geezus :win:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
i'm reading book 3 again...yeah brehs next april we are in for treats...

I totally forgot about the Hound fighting Dondarion...Jon and them climbing the wall...the mutiny at Craster's and everything that went down at Harrenhall with Jamie AND Dany swaggin on the entire Ghis region of Essos.....

geezus :win:

They showed a lot of the casting for next season except Oberyn Martell... I bet thats gonna be in Season 3.5 tho which means another year to wait :why:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
They showed a lot of the casting for next season except Oberyn Martell... I bet thats gonna be in Season 3.5 tho which means another year to wait :why:

yeah...with most of the nights watch being offed, Robb and his banner men being offed, Cat being offed. the Dorne story line takes the place of Robb and his men in the north...

might seem sudden to viewers kinda like season 2 of the wire...but no less swaggerific...they bet not slack on the Dornish casting either...these are supposed to be the most exotic lookin chicks in Westeros...Arianne Martell is supposed to be :noah: status

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
yeah...with most of the nights watch being offed, Robb and his banner men being offed, Cat being offed. the Dorne story line takes the place of Robb and his men in the north...

might seem sudden to viewers kinda like season 2 of the wire...but no less swaggerific...they bet not slack on the Dornish casting either...these are supposed to be the most exotic lookin chicks in Westeros...Arianne Martell is supposed to be :noah: status

Lol... I'm not gonna get my hopes up, a lot of people that were meant to be ugly turned out to be average to good looking and those that were reputed beautiful got toned down to average.

I bet we're gonna see (well just me I think) a lot of unknown actors for Dornishmen casting.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
probably the GOAT art of the series, the artist went into so much detail its fukking crazy...his descriptions are literally straight outta the book down to the shyt they wearing.Now who in here think they can name every character? it took me a while but i was able to recognize everyone just by looking at they're features and the people around them... for example :

*you can tell thats lyanna stark by the tree on the bottom right because of the blue winter rose by her feet
*look at the area around j'quen hagar in the middle left, he got arya under him shinin needle, whos below gendry, whos next to beric dondarion and thoros of myr etc, all the characters in the art all connect to each other somehow someway...

click the image for a full view

a_song_of_ice_and_lemoncakes_by_dragoninstall-d4dgqwz.png

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
i can litirally name a good 90% of all of those...they are grouped in by Arc as well...the best touch to me is the homage to the legends like Aegon, Rhaneys and Visenya. The 3 from the Tower of Joy (Whent, Sword of the Morning and Gerold Hightower). Even how the grass from the Dothraki Sea turns into the "Laughing tree" with Lyanna Stark winking under it.

its a ASOIAF masterpiece. I wonder if Martin has seen it.......and jesus CHRIST @ Balerion the black dread....if ida seen that thing i'da been the king who knelt too....:damn:

no disrespect to Winterfell