A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
:dahell:shyt doesn't make sense. In the books Stannis didn't even want to burn Asha, he told them "no more burnings, pray harder." and he told dude if he dies put Shireen on the throne. I'm thinking the show runners just trying to justify their bullshyt. GRRM probably tells them Shireen gets burned. Doesn't mean Stannis is involved.

I don't want to sound like a book purist but the show runners are not that great. They have great source material so the show is great but they fukking suck.:camby: Look at the Dorne cluster fukk:wtf: no lady stoneheart:mindblown: and a lot of other bullshyt.:shaq2: Robb's wife being pregnant just to get stabbed in the stomach all for shock value just like this Shireen shyt.:beli:

Yep, in the book King Stannis burns the cannibals and press forward until he reaches winterfell, here he burns his only child in front of his army only a couple of miles from winterfell (either that or the boltons are teleporters) :francis:

Also shouldn't Jon Snow be arriving from East watch by the sea? did they dismounted the ships and decided to march through the forest?:wtf: I guess we needed important scenes like Jon and Allister eye fukking each other :rudy:

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
So my wife keep texting me all morning talking about "People like Boltons more than Stannis now" :scust:

Talking about "A lot less fans now"
I hit her with the
200.gif

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Ok i dont look at too many theories but one i saw floating around a lot was that Melisandra would burn Shireen and end up resurrecting Jon. But if Shireen is already burned how would they resurrect Jon?

I used to believe that theory....but no one is gonna convince me that D&D decided to drop that from the show and burn her to stop it from snowing instead.

Them dudes makes some questionable choices, but that one I can't believe

This is where all the "bu bu GRRM probably told them Shireen burns, not that Stannis burns her" people are missig something logically. What reason would Melisandre have for burning Shireen behind Stannis' back unless it was to resurrect Azor Ahai? No other reason is plausible

Face it bruhs.....Stannis burns her in the books too

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
You misunderstand the dynamic here. They supported him to fulfil the role of a king. He wouldn't have to have been a good commander, there were plenty of those in his employ. Randyll Tarly was one of the greatest military commanders in Westeros, second only to Tywin and he was in Renly's war council. That simply wouldn't have been an issue.

What brought them together and kept them together while he was alive was Renly's charismatic personality. He was well loved, so much so that a huge number of houses were willing to forego what they understood to be correct in the succession of Stannis and support his claim. That is the arguably the most important quality a king can have; the ability to draw disparate forces together to work for his interests a quality that Stannis does not have.

He was easily the best chance at a long lasting peace, there's no disputing this.
Exactly. I already said it. Renly had Randyll Tarly, a top tier military mind, and Olenna Tyrell, the sharpest in the political game, in his corner. Not to mention, he had Garlan as well :banderas: He was moving slowly to Kings Landing to build favor with every lord (and the smallfolk) along the way so that when he did assume power there wouldn't be resentment.

Again, it took a miraculous act of magic and bytchassery to stop Renly.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
I used to believe that theory....but no one is gonna convince me that D&D decided to drop that from the show and burn her to stop it from snowing instead.

This is where all the "bu bu GRRM probably told them Shireen burns, not that Stannis burns her" people are missig something logically. What reason would Melisandre have for burning Shireen behind Stannis' back unless it was to resurrect Azor Ahai? No other reason is plausible

But like the other breh brought up, he has two hostages with kings blood, why burn his own?

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes

People are really losing their minds over what happened last night :bryan:

I hate to laugh at anyone's pain, but this is GRRM. He does this exact same thing in the books. His entire thing is showing how no one is all good and nothing is all bad. He uses actual historical figures for character inspiration and it's fairly easy to figure out which ones.

He gave a sister fukker that threw a little boy out a castle window a redemption arc that has 85% of fans willing to ride for him when he sister rapes over his dead son's body for fukks sake :bryan:

Honestly, this might be the most hilarious fanboy meltdown I've ever witnessed. The show watchers I understand, but anyone that's read these books should know better than to think Stannis was going to bro up with Snowman and save the realm with some teeth-grinding pimp moves :usure:

Jards

All Star
Daps
I don't know about show Renly, but book Renly had whole the Reach on his side, and aside from the Florents, the Reach houses stand together. Not only that the Reach is populous (thus full of soldiers) and bountiful (thus full of food to eat and sell), and the Tyrells have plenty of coin. Not to mention the Reach has talented soldiers in the high ranks as well.

In the book the only thing Renly lacks is the money and the navy of the Redwynes because Paxter's kids are being held by Cersei and crew,

Stannis comes from a shythole rock that produces nothing of worth, which is fitting because he's a piece of shyt person who does nothing of worth.

Anyway @fact , I've been eagerly anticipating your downfall and demise for far too long a while. Now I demand you present yourself to me at Bath and Body Works in the Columbia Mall so I may introduce you to the business end of my parasol. Once I've finished flogging you, you will buy me some moonlight path body cream. Body cream not body lotion. The distinction is vital!
:huhldup:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
But like the other breh brought up, he has two hostages with kings blood, why burn his own?

:yeshrug:

Maybe he sacrifices Theon/Asha to stop the winter storm

Then sacrifices Shireen later for a new purpose.

Asha/Theon survivor sent to thr Iron Islands in the meantime

Tough to say. For every question about Stannis burning Shireen comes a question about Melisandre doing it behind his back

None of us fans know, but Stannis fans who see him through rose colored glasses are ignoring the evidence present. All the book quotes in the world do not trump "When George told us about this"

It could still go either way, I just think the evidence is damning against Stannis

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Maybe Mel will burn Theon in the show to get Stannis back, in the book Stannis is miles away from the wall about to storm winterfell, even if he is defeated and survives why would he burn his daugther? is he gonna be expecting that a new army will magically pop up at the wall or something? I guess we will have to wait and see but my theory is that mel burns the fake Mance baby and later the princess as a reaction to the pink letter.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
People are really losing their minds over what happened last night :bryan:

I hate to laugh at anyone's pain, but this is GRRM. He does this exact same thing in the books. His entire thing is showing how no one is all good and nothing is all bad. He uses actual historical figures for character inspiration and it's fairly easy to figure out which ones.

He gave a sister fukker that threw a little boy out a castle window a redemption arc that has 85% of fans willing to ride for him when he sister rapes over his dead son's body for fukks sake :bryan:

Honestly, this might be the most hilarious fanboy meltdown I've ever witnessed. The show watchers I understand, but anyone that's read these books should know better than to think Stannis was going to bro up with Snowman and save the realm with some teeth-grinding pimp moves :usure:
You don't think he has done enough of that with the one true king of Westeros already though?

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin

Tough to say. For every question about Stannis burning Shireen comes a question about Melisandre doing it behind his back

None of us fans know, but Stannis fans who see him through rose colored glasses are ignoring the evidence present. All the book quotes in the world do not trump "When George told us about this"

It could still go either way, I just think the evidence is damning against Stannis
As far as the books goes, a couple of things just off the cuff.
Stannis is not near the wall.
The Pink letter came.
Val reacting the way she does to Shireen has to be some foreshadowing.
Jon Snow just got stabbed, I think it more likely that Mel burns Shireen for his resurrection, do you think Stannis would allow that?

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet

This is what i think will happen, however i think its more likely he sacrifices Asha as Theon is of more value to him. Theon could challenge the results of the kingsmoot being Balon's son and true heir, Asha already took her shot at the seastone chair and lost, she is expendable at this point.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
As far as the books goes, a couple of things just off the cuff.
Stannis is not near the wall.
The Pink letter came.
Val reacting the way she does to Shireen has to be some foreshadowing.
Jon Snow just got stabbed, I think it more likely that Mel burns Shireen for his resurrection, do you think Stannis would allow that?

You just circled back to my original argument. If Shireen was going to be sacrificed to resurrect Jon, why would HBO skip that plot and just have her stop the snow instead? Jon is a top 3 star of the show. Stannis is a subplot.

I dont think the theorized Jon resurrection is gonna happen

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
You just circled back to my original argument. If Shireen was going to be sacrificed to resurrect Jon, why would HBO skip that plot and just have her stop the snow instead? Jon is a top 3 star of the show. Stannis is a subplot.

I dont think the theorized Jon resurrection is gonna happen
:to: not to me