A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Why is that?
On one hand I don't like the rules Westeros has for kingship.
But on the other hand I find it douchey that Renly tried to circumvent that not for noble reasons but because he was power hungry and foolish which directly put him against his brother and opened the door for anything.
He wanted to play at war so he got it in return.
Stannis probably saved more lives by killing him.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Im a little more at ease on Shireen knowing it came from George

But D&D better not be lying:ufdup:

We all knew she was gonna burn, but if George just said 'she will burn' and didnt mean 'Stannis commands it' then D&D you are fukking dead men walking:ufdup:
I'm saying, by doing that, that would confirm the pink letter is bullsh1t (even though we all pretty much know it's deception). And what of Justin Massey and Stannis sending him away, and if he dies Stannis told him to win the kingdom for Shireen. I'm just having such a hard time believing that GUrm would make such a complex, layered character just to make him completely unredeemable in the majorities eyes. I'm saying, forget all the sh1t on the show because they try to play so much on the viewers emotions, and I get it, but in the books, this sh1t makes no sense

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Its the Shavepate

We been known that:sas1:
Why do you say that

The Shavepate character is a dead space to me, there's only so much of the Meereenese knot my brain can handle
But on the other hand I find it douchey that Renly tried to circumvent that not for noble reasons but because he was power hungry and foolish which directly put him against his brother and opened the door for anything.
Care to elaborate on dislike of inheritance rules?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I'm saying, by doing that, that would confirm the pink letter is bullsh1t (even though we all pretty much know it's deception). And what of Justin Massey and Stannis sending him away, and if he dies Stannis told him to win the kingdom for Shireen. I'm just having such a hard time believing that GUrm would make such a complex, layered character just to make him completely unredeemable in the majorities eyes. I'm saying, forget all the sh1t on the show because they try to play so much on the viewers emotions, and I get it, but in the books, this sh1t makes no sense

Lets be real though....lovers of BOOK Stannis (myself included) give him a pass for a lot of shyt and discussion around him becomes an echo-chamber of "hey Stannis is awesome" thinking. I'm re-reading right now.....I bet once I get to the Stannis shyt I will begin to see him for who he really is :patrice:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Saw a good post on Reddit, I'm gonna re-phrase it here...

I think we all know that Stannis has been the one character that has seemingly not been given a "fair shake" in regards to his depth and behavior from the book to screen adaptation

What if the reason for this is because D&D knew from the start that he would eventually burn Shireen? Wouldn't it be pretty hard to portray Stannis in a positive light if you knew this was going to happen?

I really wish GRRM would clarify all of this, but we know that ain't gonna happen until TWOW. I do think that book Stannis COULD do this....but logistically it doesn't work right now. There would have to be some movement at the beginning of the book for it to come to fruition.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Stannisset's whole host got smashed :pachaha: got brehs in here and the show thread talking about defecting, seeing him in a new light

fukk that double kinslayer

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

Stannis claim is by conquest of his brother's doing (Really Ned's). It was a free for all. The issue though is not him ordering to kill Renly, but the way he did it. It was not in battle, it was done with magic and was personal. He was also ready to sacrifice his (b*stard) nephew's life.

He changed his entire family's cultural religion because he needed a tool to win.

Most of the good parts of Stannis people see is really Davos' guidance and influence. With Davos long gone and heading to find Rickon, there is no telling what Stannis will do while trying to conduct a siege on Winterfell during a harsh winter.

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
We knew this was coming, but i still can't believe it happened. I wonder how this will play out in the books. Will stannis die trying to take winterfell and the sacrifice is to revive him or will this happen so that he can successfully take winterfell?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Yeah I read that soon after I finished ADWD but I think I was overwhelmed by the high amount of characters and lack of action to let it sink in
I'll reread

Speaking of blogs, you read Endgameofthrones? Speaks a lot on conversations we've had about bran and bloodraven. A little too overconfident in its claims but entertaining

I hopped on it briefly, but the sheer amount of tinfoil was disrupting my internet connection