A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Books 4 & 5 have quite a few dry parts in them. Add in the fact that entire storylines and characters are being dropped, how do you really expect them to drag this out. And then on top of that, why would you want them to stretch out the story? Go in the show thread and you see people complaining that the season has been slow so far, so I think the pacing is fine IMO.
This post hase done nothing to assuage my fears

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
i like the speculative endings yall got goin here, and i think you're pretty close to the mark. would be :banderas: as well

so here are some loose ends that i wanna see tied up: azor ahai's legend revolves around his sword as much as anything else. to my recollection, Lightbringer doesn't get a lot of screen time in the show, but Jon is always with Longclaw, as in the books. this is a clear path to mel recgonizing him as AA and to some type of confrontation/reconciliation with Jorah, which will no doubt bring him close to Dany, whether violently or in alliance. i think violently, and Jon will kill her with Jorah's sword on some type of indirect betrayal, and Jorah gone cry in the car

so how they gonna work that out brehs :lupe:

Jon stabbing Dany would fufill the AA prophecy. Jon is stabbed and his body is burnt on a pyre (not sure where the salt comes into play but theres your smoke). Jon gets revived on the pyre in the Melli Mel ritual. Maester Aemon will spill the beans to everyone about Jon on his death bed. Jon rallies enough support against the White Walkers and defeats them. Dany gets to Westeros too late and nobody respects her claim. Furious that her entire life's dedication goes unrealized, she goes full Mad King and wages war against Jon. Jon defeats her in battle, stabs her in the chest, and her soul binds to Longclaw. Lightbringer byke, Jon is Azor Ahai.

In the prophecy, Azor Ahai has to kill his wife to forge Lightbringer. Since Longclaw was intended to be Jorah's sword before his exile, and its used to kill Dany (the love of HIS life), its not unreasonable to believe that this becomes Lightbringer.

Also, this is why Maester Aemon seems to know who Jon is on the show, and why Ned would send Jon to the Wall knowing the time would come when Jon would need to know the truth.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Jon stabbing Dany would fufill the AA prophecy. Jon is stabbed and his body is burnt on a pyre (not sure where the salt comes into play but theres your smoke). Jon gets revived on the pyre in the Melli Mel ritual. Maester Aemon will spill the beans to everyone about Jon on his death bed. Jon rallies enough support against the White Walkers and defeats them. Dany gets to Westeros too late and nobody respects her claim. Furious that her entire life's dedication goes unrealized, she goes full Mad King and wages war against Jon. Jon defeats her in battle, stabs her in the chest, and her soul binds to Longclaw. Lightbringer byke, Jon is Azor Ahai.

In the prophecy, Azor Ahai has to kill his wife to forge Lightbringer. Since Longclaw was intended to be Jorah's sword before his exile, and its used to kill Dany (the love of HIS life), its not unreasonable to believe that this becomes Lightbringer.

Also, this is why Maester Aemon seems to know who Jon is on the show, and why Ned would send Jon to the Wall knowing the time would come when Jon would need to know the truth.
:ehh:

salt gonna come from 3 finger hobb :troll:

but wouldn't this make jon a kinslayer? :patrice: also i think the white walkers will end up not being so evil after all. something with bran and the COTF is gonna shed a lotta light on them.

also, the wall needs to fall at some point (this has gotta be 100%) and how does aemon know who jon is?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
This post hase done nothing to assuage my fears

You're just gonna have to wait for the books then because HBO can't wait for GRRM and they can't stretch the show for him. We'd be looking at 10+ seasons and that's just not gonna happen on HBO.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
:ehh:

salt gonna come from 3 finger hobb :troll:

but wouldn't this make jon a kinslayer? :patrice: also i think the white walkers will end up not being so evil after all. something with bran and the COTF is gonna shed a lotta light on them.

also, the wall needs to fall at some point (this has gotta be 100%) and how does aemon know who jon is?

Dany going against Jon would be treason if we say that he's recognized as king after eliminating the White Walker threat. I think the kinslaying would be excused if Dany tried to flex on Jon first.
How does Maester Aemon know? No clue, but the "one Targ all alone" comment was interesting.

The White Walkers have to be evil imo, otherwise they wouldn't be converting an army of the dead.

There's holes in the theory but its not unreasonable.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Dany going against Jon would be treason if we say that he's recognized as king after eliminating the White Walker threat. I think the kinslaying would be excused if Dany tried to flex on Jon first.
How does Maester Aemon know? No clue, but the "one Targ all alone" comment was interesting.

The White Walkers have to be evil imo, otherwise they wouldn't be converting an army of the dead.

There's holes in the theory but its not unreasonable.
i thought aemon's comment and focus on Jon might be a device of the show rather than aemon really knowing what's good. i could be wrong tho.

agreed on dany trying to usurp her nephew's throne. dany is most certainly gonna end up a villain and the only way to get show watchers to hate her is for her to against their beloved jon snow

i dont think the white walkers have to be evil as a general rule, any more than the wildlings had to be. they merk those who roll up on them, just like every other tribe, clan, and house in the Known World. they buy armies the way they know how, just like Stannis did with Braavosi coin and everyone else does by calling their banners.

that alleged Night's King scene where we thought the baby was gonna die but was in essence rescued from the cold was telling imo.

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
Can't believe everyone is shytting on my mans Stannis :wow:

Stannis has gotten a lot of screen time this season so him getting killed is not to far off :mjcry:

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
i thought aemon's comment and focus on Jon might be a device of the show rather than aemon really knowing what's good. i could be wrong tho.

agreed on dany trying to usurp her nephew's throne. dany is most certainly gonna end up a villain and the only way to get show watchers to hate her is for her to against their beloved jon snow

i dont think the white walkers have to be evil as a general rule, any more than the wildlings had to be. they merk those who roll up on them, just like every other tribe, clan, and house in the Known World. they buy armies the way they know how, just like Stannis did with Braavosi coin and everyone else does by calling their banners.

that alleged Night's King scene where we thought the baby was gonna die but was in essence rescued from the cold was telling imo.

Its tough with regards to Jon because someone has to know his true parentage. Not sure who that will be if the High Sparrow isn't Howland Reed.

The WW aren't any more evil than most of the houses involved I agree. To me they just seem like the typical impending doom hanging over everyone's head like the Orcs in LOTR so I associate them with the most evil. If they have their way then its all white everything :lupe:

I'm still halway hoping Littlefinger pulls off his master plan and ushers in a golden age of pimping in Westeros

Objection

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Can't believe everyone is shytting on my mans Stannis :wow:

Stannis has gotten a lot of screen time this season so him getting killed is not to far off :mjcry:
I will be heated if Brienne kills Stannis. She keep harping on taking out the rightful king of Westeros. Davos better not let that shyt happen. They already fukked over Selmy they better not fukk over Stannis too.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Its tough with regards to Jon because someone has to know his true parentage. Not sure who that will be if the High Sparrow isn't Howland Reed.

The WW aren't any more evil than most of the houses involved I agree. To me they just seem like the typical impending doom hanging over everyone's head like the Orcs in LOTR so I associate them with the most evil. If they have their way then its all white everything :lupe:

I'm still halway hoping Littlefinger pulls off his master plan and ushers in a golden age of pimping in Westeros
true, I have a feeling Sam is gonna stumble upon some Tower of Joy tidbits and Aemon will confirm before he croaks. a nod to the books without going through the trip to Oldtown

WW aren't even orcs, they're just creatures whose land gets raided by humans. there's clearly a connection between man and WW, since human babies are converted by them, and the Night's King was a man once, possibly even a Stark.

in Northmen history, COTF were the bad guys too before the Pact. then wildlings, who are more First Men (except for giants and Thenns and whatnot i guess, but even they might be? i have to check AWOIAF) than anyone south of the Wall, were anything is possible here. all that wight harvesting shyt might just be defense, could be these brehs just wanna be left alone

LF will get his head cut off before it's all said and done, but his influence will be felt forever after, whatever happens. i think it's hilarious that slavery is a mortal sin and even the boltons would probably kill someone for it, but human trafficking in brothels is just part of the game
pimp-kramer-o.gif

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Howland Reed can be in the story without being the High Sparrow

but I also think the answers to various mysteries can come through Bran's greenseeing