A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

If anything I'm happy to see them show just how gully and scary the sons of the harpy are. In the books they make them come off as a few dudes who caught a few bodies....seeing it it makes it feel like an actual large faction of very capable killers.
Guess that's my point. In the books they didn't want that kind of action. Implication was they weren't really skilled enough to take on the Unsullied in battle. Look how easy it was to take the city

The Unsullied are NOT noteworthy close quarters fighters, especially one-on-one. If anything, the show has powered them up in spots, especially Grey Worm.

The only problem with them getting killed was that they didn't try to make formation before the Harpies attacked. (which would have easily been overpowered anyway in this tight situation against big numbers). Once they fight broke out to where individual Unsullied were battling, they would have died in both the books and the show

I swear people don't actually remember half the shyt they read

:francis:

What are you basing this on? In the books they catch unsuspecting soldiers alone or in small numbers. Best guess is the Sons of the Harpy are from noble families, they're not noteworthy fighters at all, close quarters or not. No reason to think they could win in a full on battle against a group of trained soldiers who have been training (that only 1 out of 3 survive) since they were 5.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
cats need to slow down with the R+L=J talk in the show thread. sure it hasn't been confirmed in the books, but at the same time most of the info that theory is based on has only been covered in the books

man let people cook. Theorycrafting is one of the best parts about this fandom. R+L = J is only one of MANY theories. I mean some people asked in PM so i sent it. I was spoiled on that before i was done with book 3 and it didnt take away from the many other subplots that are MUCH more intriguing. Like WHAT THE fukk IS LITTLEFINGER's ENDGAME?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
man let people cook. Theorycrafting is one of the best parts about this fandom. R+L = J is only one of MANY theories. I mean some people asked in PM so i sent it. I was spoiled on that before i was done with book 3 and it didnt take away from the many other subplots that are MUCH more intriguing. Like WHAT THE fukk IS LITTLEFINGER's ENDGAME?
of course the theory didn't take anything away from books 3+, because it's based on info that was mostly from the first book

but that info (Ned's dream about the Tower of Joy and such) hasn't really been presented on the show. but if the theory is true (or semi-true...), and as important as it seems, the show will have to cover it. the story Littlefinger tells Sansa in the last episode, especially the part about the moment "all the smiles died", is directly from Ned's memories while locked up in the first book. my kind of outside-the-box perspective on that is that the show knows it's viewers have short attention spans, so they're presenting this info now because they plan on doing something with it soon. all of a sudden, two Rhaegar stories in one episode...

to be clear, if cats ask you to PM them or whatever, then give them what they want. for that matter, if they want to get spoiled, the info is easy enough to find on their own

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
of course the theory didn't take anything away from books 3+, because it's based on info that was mostly from the first book

but that info (Ned's dream about the Tower of Joy and such) hasn't really been presented on the show. but if the theory is true (or semi-true...), and as important as it seems, the show will have to cover it. the story Littlefinger tells Sansa in the last episode, especially the part about the moment "all the smiles died", is directly from Ned's memories while locked up in the first book. my kind of outside-the-box perspective on that is that the show knows it's viewers have short attention spans, so they're presenting this info now because they plan on doing something with it soon. all of a sudden, two Rhaegar stories in one episode...

to be clear, if cats ask you to PM them or whatever, then give them what they want. for that matter, if they want to get spoiled, the info is easy enough to find on their own

Man it would be wild to see more allusions to it.

I personally think that after all this is done there should be a 3 hour movie on Roberts Rebellion. Starting at the joust at Harenhall and ending at Ned taking baby Jon to Winterfell (if its indeed true).

Even if it isnt live action (i personally think an anime of the Rebellion would CRUSH everything)

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Man it would be wild to see more allusions to it.

I personally think that after all this is done there should be a 3 hour movie on Roberts Rebellion. Starting at the joust at Harenhall and ending at Ned taking baby Jon to Winterfell (if its indeed true).

Even if it isnt live action (i personally think an anime of the Rebellion would CRUSH everything)

im dying for somebody to start an animated series about westeros lore. so much shyt to cover that u could probably do 5 or 6 seasons of 1 hour episodes. last season could just be about robert's rebellion, altho i would love to see the greyjoy rebellion too.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
im dying for somebody to start an animated series about westeros lore. so much shyt to cover that u could probably do 5 or 6 seasons of 1 hour episodes. last season could just be about robert's rebellion, altho i would love to see the greyjoy rebellion too.

There really is alot...the War of Conquest...hell even what the fukk happened in Valyria

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
There really is alot...the War of Conquest...hell even what the fukk happened in Valyria

age of heroes
the long night
the children vs the first men
the first men and the children vs the andal invaders
aegon's conquest
robert's rebellion
valyria and the free cities
dance of the dragons

:wow: and more im forgetting

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
war of the ninepenny kings
battle of the bells
my motherfukkin mans dunk and egg

there's a lotta source material to do all this even without GRRM being involved anymore

not to mention that if GRRM is involved and decided to hash out a little more on the far east, u could have a whole new set of shyt about ashai or yi'ti or even the summer isles and southorys and the thousand islands. skaggos and ibben too.

damn man when we break it down like that, GRRM went fukking HAM on his universe.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Guess that's my point. In the books they didn't want that kind of action. Implication was they weren't really skilled enough to take on the Unsullied in battle. Look how easy it was to take the city

What are you basing this on? In the books they catch unsuspecting soldiers alone or in small numbers. Best guess is the Sons of the Harpy are from noble families, they're not noteworthy fighters at all, close quarters or not. No reason to think they could win in a full on battle against a group of trained soldiers who have been training (that only 1 out of 3 survive) since they were 5.
They were trained in military strategy. They defeated the Dothraki horde because it was in open space. They could form their phalanx and brush off the attack. I don't think much was made of their hand to hand combat training. It was more that they were trained to have no fear and feel no pain or sympathy, not they they were 1 man killing machines.

I thought Ned's dream and bunch of other stuff has been on the DVDs as bonus content?

As for the bolded, I feel tu same way about the Stone Men being mentioned in consecutive episodes.