A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
there seems to be an assumption that certain info isn't a spoiler because the show kind of skipped it. but I think people need to consider the show might just be saving that info for a later time. that's why I point out that the story LF tells Sansa in season 5 is directly from the first book

I see this in a lot of these "no spoilers, only history" videos

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
there seems to be an assumption that certain info isn't a spoiler because the show kind of skipped it. but I think people need to consider the show might just be saving that info for a later time. that's why I point out that the story LF tells Sansa in season 5 is directly from the first book

I see this in a lot of these "no spoilers, only history" videos

There is truth to that, but you also can't forget the "History and Lore" from the Blu-Rays

All that info was put there by HBO for a reason. So viewers could get info that the show doesnt have time to cover

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
There is truth to that, but you also can't forget the "History and Lore" from the Blu-Rays

All that info was put there by HBO for a reason. So viewers could get info that the show doesnt have time to cover
I was speaking on the fan made videos. I assume those official joints are a little more careful about what info they cover

edit: I also feel that if info is really important to the plot, it has to be directly covered by show. they can't just assume people have watched the dvd-bonus stuff

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
anyway, where's Bran this season? I'm trying to think how the show could handle The Tower of Joy, and I think it would have to come from Howland Reed and/or Bran's 'visions'

has Lady Stoneheart been cut completely?

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
anyway, where's Bran this season? I'm trying to think how the show could handle The Tower of Joy, and I think it would have to come from Howland Reed and/or Bran's 'visions'

has Lady Stoneheart been cut completely?
her & hot pie been confirmed:mjcry:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
They were trained in military strategy. They defeated the Dothraki horde because it was in open space. They could form their phalanx and brush off the attack. I don't think much was made of their hand to hand combat training. It was more that they were trained to have no fear and feel no pain or sympathy, not they they were 1 man killing machines.

All the training in the world can't prepare you for ambush guerrilla tactics. Ask the US in Vietnam, or the US in Okinawa/Iwo Jima or the Nazi's in Scandinavia or Union troops in the South. You simply cannot prepare for an enemy that isn't facing you head on but knows its terrain/people/culture.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They were trained in military strategy. They defeated the Dothraki horde because it was in open space. They could form their phalanx and brush off the attack. I don't think much was made of their hand to hand combat training. It was more that they were trained to have no fear and feel no pain or sympathy, not they they were 1 man killing machines.

They have trained with swords/short swords since the age of 5. While their strength is in formation nothing in the books indicates they are weak or even average in hand to hand combat. And again we know nothing remarkable about the fighting prowess of the Sons of Harpy. In Astapor Dany mentions they are "weak" and the only people they have killed in Mereen have been solitary unsullied who they caught unawares. In the episode they basically slaughtered a platoon and took out one of the greatest knights in Westeros.

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
They have trained with swords/short swords since the age of 5. While their strength is in formation nothing in the books indicates they are weak or even average in hand to hand combat. And again we know nothing remarkable about the fighting prowess of the Sons of Harpy. In Astapor Dany mentions they are "weak" and the only people they have killed in Mereen have been solitary unsullied who they caught unawares. In the episode they basically slaughtered a platoon and took out one of the greatest knights in Westeros.

Who is also quite old :yeshrug:

Ser Barristan Da Gawd but father time caught that ass :mjcry:

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he old but still.... that's Barristin the Bold. when he walked in that room i was like:ooh:. really thought he was about to easily kill all them dudes. did he even have a real fight in the show? we got cheated. :mjcry:

Yo when he entered the room I thought they were about to get that work too. And they were for a minute and then when the fight started to turn suddenly a post I read on here where peeps were talking about which character was getting killed off in season 5 pops into my head, and I remember everyone saying it was Barristan;

Barristan deserved a better death then that, dude was borderline GOAT status in the books.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Yo when he entered the room I thought they were about to get that work too. And they were for a minute and then when the fight started to turn suddenly a post I read on here where peeps were talking about which character was getting killed off in season 5 pops into my head, and I remember everyone saying it was Barristan;

Barristan deserved a better death then that, dude was borderline GOAT status in the books.

Barristan's death will probably be better in the books. I'm sure Victarion is the one that's going to end him.