A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
They have trained with swords/short swords since the age of 5. While their strength is in formation nothing in the books indicates they are weak or even average in hand to hand combat. And again we know nothing remarkable about the fighting prowess of the Sons of Harpy. In Astapor Dany mentions they are "weak" and the only people they have killed in Mereen have been solitary unsullied who they caught unawares. In the episode they basically slaughtered a platoon and took out one of the greatest knights in Westeros.
1st off, we can't take Dany's assessment of anyone's combat prowess because she simply has no idea what she's talking about. 2nd, the same thing happened in the show. The Unsullied were caught off guard. It's not like they met them in open combat, they were lured into a confined space and faced with superior numbers. @Klarifeye The Great summed it up perfectly in his post about about facing an enemy on their soil who won't fight you head on.

And for everyone saying Barriston deserved a better death.....what show have you been watching? Besides Joffrey who has come close to getting what they deserve?

Last edited:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
not mad at the way barristan went out, but looking back it woulda been nice to see him in action, at least his famous escape at the mud gate when he was disguised

but we have to remember that the show never really hyped him up like the books did. most show watchers know next to nothing of the legendary kingsguard aerys II had

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
not mad at the way barristan went out, but looking back it woulda been nice to see him in action, at least his famous escape at the mud gate when he was disguised

but we have to remember that the show never really hyped him up like the books did. most show watchers know next to nothing of the legendary kingsguard aerys II had

Dude had basically the 96 Bulls as kingsguard. Barristan The Bold, The Bull Gerold Hightower, Prime Jamie Lannister, Sword of the Morning Arthur Dayne :wow:

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude had basically the 96 Bulls as kingsguard. Barristan The Bold, The Bull Gerold Hightower, Prime Jamie Lannister, Sword of the Morning Arthur Dayne :wow:

yeah compare that to Joffrey's KG when he dismissed Barristan.

Barristan straight up told the fight remaining KG in the room that he could off all five of them right then and there solo style without breaking a sweat. And that's the old ass version of Barristan Selmy. Yet he had to get got by nameless, faceless sons of the harpy smh, they should of just let grey worm take that loss on his own.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
yeah compare that to Joffrey's KG when he dismissed Barristan.

Barristan straight up told the fight remaining KG in the room that he could off all five of them right then and there solo style without breaking a sweat. And that's the old ass version of Barristan Selmy.
well just because he said it, doesn't mean it's true

I think one thing to consider is he didn't have armor on when he got got

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
Thinking of doing a Balls of Beast re-read (Books 4 & 5 in order by events). I have to remind myself of the differences between the books/show. I can't wait to give GRRM some more money though. TWoW will be good.

As far as the show, I'm enjoying it. Taking Sansa to the dark side may bring Lady Stoneheart's story into play. The only thing I know for certain is Reek will know what she taste like....

Sir Barristan the Bold dying was sad, but it's something I expect in TWoW.

I'm just ready for Jon Snow's parents to be revealed. There's more storylines to keep me interested in the series with that not being a secret...

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal

naw shyt went from 0-100 when he pulled that sword out, everybody in that hall was shook. ned was praising him, talking about how glad he was they never ran into each other on the field. Jamie told his cousin that he was a "painter who only used red." and this nikka dies in an alley fighting some nobodies. couldn't even give the nikka a boss fight. smh.
mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

I'm hoping he makes it back to king's landing in the books.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill

rescue at duskendale + his escape from KL (assuming he wasn't lying, i guess he could be), but not before sneaking into the tower to update his history as a knight of the KG means he's as bad as claimed :yeshrug:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
rescue at duskendale + his escape from KL (assuming he wasn't lying, i guess he could be), but not before sneaking into the tower to update his history as a knight of the KG means he's as bad as claimed :yeshrug:
I heard he scored four touchdowns in one game :skip:

it's just boasting. one on five is never good odds

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I heard he scored four touchdowns in one game :skip:

it's just boasting. one on five is never good odds
you really shyttin on my mans :to:

nah i actually love the unreliable narrator device. but it's not really in barristan's character to bullshyt like that. and he's not ser shadrich, he's a known member of the toppest of top flight security teams in 7K history