A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
How is the black company in terms of the fantasy/magic element? I'd like to read something that's strong on that sort of magical thing. ASOIAF doesn't actually do it for me in that department to be honest.
not far into it at all, but from the first 50 pages its probably the same level. there's some weird vampire/wereleopard thing that was locked in a tomb and seems to have been set free, but no one really knows what it is. kinda like the others in the beginning of AGOT but the main character sees it instead of it being hearsay

there is some scary sorcerer cat that just showed up that will play a central role. when i get through more i'll let you know

memory, sorrow, thorn seems like it has a lot more fantastical magical shyt in it at first glance

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
What do you guys think rickon has been up to? I really hope TWOW gives us some answers as to why and how he ended up in skagos.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
Cersei should get the lifetime award for Smartest Dumbest Person in Westeros. She tries so hard man. It's fukking hilarious (milk squirting out your nose hilarious) to see her give power to some religious fanatic sect not knowing it was a perfectly good reason why they lost it in the first place. Sitting there talking about "no one should be above the king's law" while the High Sparrow like "Yep. I agree" :mjpls:

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Looks like Bronn gonna be the one dying in Dorne on the show. I'm OK with that :ehh:

I have no idea what's going to happen with Sansa in the show though. There's a theory that she'll be taking Jeyne Poole's place in Winterfell, and Littlefinger will actually hand Sansa off to the Boltons. But aren't they heading west? :patrice:

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
That Hodor theory is amazing. How something so simple plays into the story at large.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Looks like Bronn gonna be the one dying in Dorne on the show. I'm OK with that :ehh:

I have no idea what's going to happen with Sansa in the show though. There's a theory that she'll be taking Jeyne Poole's place in Winterfell, and Littlefinger will actually hand Sansa off to the Boltons. But aren't they heading west? :patrice:
breh both of these storylines would piss me off

bronn gotta make it to the end :wow: from sellsword gettin blasted in a random tavern to a knight to nobility raging against primogeniture :bow:

sansa gettin fukked by dogs :damn: :damn: :damn: she's gotta be lady stoneheart. i think littlefinger is smart enough to know the boltons will never have the love of the north and wouldn't roll with them

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
breh both of these storylines would piss me off

bronn gotta make it to the end :wow: from sellsword gettin blasted in a random tavern to a knight to nobility raging against primogeniture :bow:

sansa gettin fukked by dogs :damn: :damn: :damn: she's gotta be lady stoneheart. i think littlefinger is smart enough to know the boltons will never have the love of the north and wouldn't roll with them

If that Sansa storyline plays out, it'd upset me but I don't see that happening. The actor who plays Bronn is piff, but Jamie ain't dying in Dorne & somebody's gotta die :francis:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
In the past I have always ignored the "Hodor = The Great Other" chatter because I thought it was some sort of joke referring to the actual character Hodor. I didn't realize that it meant that "Hodor" was the actual name of the Great Other

But with some new recent discussion on reddit about it I gave it a chance and now I'm like :ohhh:

To those unfamiliar with the theory, it stems from the fact that in Norse mythology the god of winter has a similar name:

Melisandre says about the Great Other (the counterpart to R'hollor) "the name that must never be spoken"

The theory is that the character Hodor (real name Walder) stumbled upon something in the Winterfell crypts, that thing possibly being an avatar of the Great Other that is locked in the crypts via blood magic. Walder was so destroyed by this incident that he can only speak the name of the being that scarred him.

This theory would explain the cause of the character Hodor's oddity, it would explain the repeated saying "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" (due to the blood magic of locking up the Great Other), and it would explain the castle name Winterfell (the place where Winter fell that ended the long night and the Great Other was defeated).

There is more to it, but the reason this theory is being reinvigorated is because GRRM appears to have said that we will learn of the character Hodor's reason for only being able to say Hodor:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/420202.html?thread=21152618#t21152618

You can read more in depth about the theory with good discussion here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/32nlpv/spoilers_all_the_importance_of_winterfell_and_a/
and here
http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/32p8bz/spoilers_all_grrm_says_we_will_know_the_cause_of/

I read that Hodor/Winterfell theory a few days ago, shyt is ill! I don't believe that Hodor is possessed but I definitely am now convinced he saw something that caused him to lose his speech.

I remember seeing a theory about a female other being chained underneath Winterfell. Perhaps the woman who tempted the Night's Watch commander who became the Night's King. And thus Hodor's name is Hodor because he heard someone down there saying "hold her." If you say "hold her" a bunch of times real fast it sounds like Hodor.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
If that Sansa storyline plays out, it'd upset me but I don't see that happening. The actor who plays Bronn is piff, but Jamie ain't dying in Dorne & somebody's gotta die :francis:
no arianne martell, no guaranteed death :yeshrug:

i might die for those brown nipples and wet thighs tho :noah: i'll never forgive the show for cutting her out, unless it was because they couldn't find someone sexy enough to play her and nixed the whole idea

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I read that Hodor/Winterfell theory a few days ago, shyt is ill! I don't believe that Hodor is possessed but I definitely am now convinced he saw something that caused him to lose his speech.

I remember seeing a theory about a female other being chained underneath Winterfell. Perhaps the woman who tempted the Night's Watch commander who became the Night's King. And thus Hodor's name is Hodor because he heard someone down there saying "hold her." If you say "hold her" a bunch of times real fast it sounds like Hodor.

There's also a theory that the Night's Queen is buried in the crypts of Winterfell & Ned Stark burying Lyanna in the crypts disturbed something down there since only the men of Winterfell are buried in the crypts. The Night's Queen might rise again through Lyanna Stark's corpse, which is why the Others are moving south to get their queen :lupe:

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
no arianne martell, no guaranteed death :yeshrug:

i might die for those brown nipples and wet thighs tho :noah: i'll never forgive the show for cutting her out, unless it was because they couldn't find someone sexy enough to play her and nixed the whole idea

I thought the show was planning to combine the Ellaria/Arianne characters, but Ellaria talmbout sending Myrcella back piece-by-piece sort of goes against what Arianne wanted to do by crowing her as queen. I have no idea how Dorne will play out, but I gotta feeling that Bronn will die since he's basically useless in the books now :manny:

Edit - Not useless, but doesn't play a major role.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I thought the show was planning to combine the Ellaria/Arianne characters, but Ellaria talmbout sending Myrcella back piece-by-piece sort of goes against what Arianne wanted to do by crowing her as queen. I have no idea how Dorne will play out, but I gotta feeling that Bronn will die since he's basically useless in the books now :manny:

Edit - Not useless, but doesn't play a major role.

i was kind of hoping to see cersei's face when bronn names lollys' b*stard tyrion :russ:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
:mjcry: no baby bronn
:mjcry: no pate (jaqen's theme is fire though, I'm cool as long as that song gets major play)

some shyt was spot on though.
:mjlol:pycelle constantly hating on qyburn.
:salute: kevan putting cersei in her place.

overall cool episode.

Last edited: