A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
I will say, though, Radio Westeros is a polished podcast, Yolkboy and Lady Gwen are fukking good at presenting a well spoken and researched product.
I really want to listen to one that they only talk about theories, like the GNC, but I aint found one yet

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Been going back and listening to a lot of podcats lately just to scratch the itch. Y'all are my ASOIF fam, ad what I hope most of the fans are like, but the reality is that a lot of the fans, the ones that do the podcats at least, are fukking whiny ass nerd bytches and puzzy ass dudes
That's why I stopped listening to A Cast of Kings. I can't stand Dave Chen whiny gay ass. Joanna is tolerable but I'll just stick with Baldmove. Jim and A-Ron crack me up

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Been going back and listening to a lot of podcats lately just to scratch the itch. Y'all are my ASOIF fam, ad what I hope most of the fans are like, but the reality is that a lot of the fans, the ones that do the podcats at least, are fukking whiny ass nerd bytches and puzzy ass dudes

i used to stay on a forum of ice and fire but the geekiness is too much for me. right now i go to the reddit joint from time to time but im mostly doing a re-read(listen actually) to tide me over.

i did see an interesting daario=euron theory yesterday tho :ehh: i dont believe in the least bit that daario is actually euron but there were some more interesting points brought up such as whether euron might have been around slaver's bay when dany sacked astapor and i also didnt see the connection between pyat pree and the 3 warlocks = the 4 warlocks euron captured. interesting shyt.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
just read this on reddit :banderas:

In ACOK Tyrion II, Varys brings up the riddle. There's a brief exchange as Tyrion goes over the options and says the swordsman has power over life and death. Varys asks, why does he follow the king, then? Tyrion points out that the king has many more swordsmen at his disposal.

Varys offers his take:

"Then these other swordsmen have the true power. Or do they? Whence came their swords? Why do they obey?" Varys smiled. "Some say knowledge is power. Some tell us that all power comes from the gods. Others say it derives from law. Yet that day on the steps of Baelor's Sept, our godly High Septon and the lawful Queen Regent and your ever so-knowledgeable servant were as powerless as any cobbler or cooper in the crowd. Who truly killed Eddard Stark, do you think? Joffrey, who gave the command? Ser Ilyn Payne, who swung the sword? Or . . . another?"

Let's go over that again.

1. First he suggests the sword is power.
  2. Then knowledge.
  3. Then that power comes from the gods.
  4. Then from the law.
  5. Then he asserts that law, gods and knowledge are as powerless as the smallfolk...
  6. ... under the wrong king...
  7. ... and the use of his might.
From ADWD Epilogue:

"Aegon has been shaped for rule since before he could walk. He has been trained in arms, as befits a knight to be (1), but that was not the end of his education. He reads and writes, he speaks several tongues, he has studied history and law and poetry (2, 4). A septa has instructed him in the mysteries of the Faith since he was old enough to understand them (3). He has lived with fisherfolk, worked with his hands, swum in rivers and mended nets and learned to wash his own clothes at need (5). He can fish and cook and bind up a wound, he knows what it is like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid. Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right (6). Aegon knows kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them (7)."

Pretty good match, right?

"Did you mean to answer your damned riddle, or only to make my head ache worse?"

"Here, then. Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less."

"So power is a mummer's trick?"

No, it's a mummer's dragon.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/308vzx/spoilers_all_small_observation_about_varys_riddle/

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
word lol. one of the storylines im looking forward to most tho is aegon and the golden company in the stormlands :whew: i cant wait to read that fukkery.

Yep it's going to be the Red Viper all over again. :snoop: New bad ass guy on that come up and then GRRM throws him in the bushes.

I can't wait to see the reactions of some Houses. Dany's too, I know the news of that is going to burn her soul.

Aegon VI bossed up like "fukk it, I don't need dragons." :blessed:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
i forgot how much i hate sansa too. granted she's a little girl but fukk what an idiot in the 1st book.

i just got to the chapters after ned sends beric dondarrion and the rest of them after the mountain. this morning i heard the chapter where ned tells the girls he sending them back to winterfell and sansa starts begging him not to and saying she loves joffrey

:mindblown: did she not see how he lied about arya and got her wolf killed? did she not just see that jory was killed and her father was attacked and hurt? if i have daughters i really hope they are more like arya.
She's a girl breh...

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I know but so is Arya. I guess I'm unfairly comparing but gotdamn that's a dumb little girl lol
Arya was always a more masculine female....her desires were fighting and playing rough. Sansa's desires were becoming a queen and marrying a prince charming type character.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
GRRM has been really yappy about TWOW recently

He has never talked this much about it in the past. I think it has set in that he has zero chance of finishing the books before the tv series, so he is bound and determined to at least get TWOW out before next season so fans get one more chance to read his story spoiler-free

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
the catelyn hate is strong with me right now

why when this bytch shows up to where the northerners are gathered she starts giving her son war advice? what wars has this bytch been in that make her an authority on war strategy?

she advised robb against sending the greatjon to lead that force vs tywin and convinced him to send roose bolton instead. maybe im reaching here but what if thats when roose started turning towards the other side? after being send on what was essentially a suicide mission?

u dont send a lord of doubtful loyalty(remember the boltons were the starks main rival in the north for a long time) on a mission like that. u gotta send somebody fiercely loyal like the greatjon.

he already had like 10 experienced generals advising him and she feels like her advise would be better than theirs :snoop: