A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
I still don't understand why Cat would allow Robb to be bound by honor to Jeyne Westerling. It took 2 betrothals just to get past the Twins and they wanted to disrespect Walder Frey instead of having another b*stard tied to the Starks. Marrying Rosilyn Frey should have trumped the alternative.
in the show she was cute too:sadbron:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Oh I'm not saying she isn't interesting. Cat's chapters are on balance better than anyones in the books. Just think about it, Renly's death and the Red Wedding are her POV. You get to see the workings of more shyt through her than anyone elses.

But it's fukk dat bytch all day
Jose-Mourinho-Not-Bad-Look.gif

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
i agree with most of what u say except that part right there. the way i see it she sped up the beef unnecessarily. ned would have had more time to investigate before any eyes were on him. the tyrion situation just forced everybody's hand and catelyn was stupid for it because they JUST had the discussion where it was obvious they needed more proof. if ned had more time he probably would have found the proof and approached robert. if the tyrion situation hadn't popped up, robert doesnt get set up with the strong wine either. just a domino effect of shyt got kicked off with that kidnapping. for nothing because she lost him anyway.

Robert was getting the strong wine regardless of what happened, it was just a matter of time. Ned could've stayed at Winterfell and the whole story could've been about them training their direwolves and Cersei would've still strong wined Robert. She hated him and everyone knew it.

Taking Tyrion was smart for multiple reasons. She has every reason to think he tried to kill her son at least once, probably twice, so she's allowed to ask for some kind of justice in the eyes of the gods and the people. She is sneaking back to Winterfell in disguise after going to King's Landing to plot out potential war strategy with Ned and he is about to start loudly asking why she's not in Winterfell taking care of Bran. She has a letter from her crazy ass sister that's says the Lannisters are actively offing people like Jon Arryn, which (if true) would mean there is some massive reaching, treasonous plot getting acted out by the Lannisters.

So she's sitting there thinking who and how she can rally support from the Riverlands if the Lannisters don't listen to Ned/Robert/Littlefinger and bam - a Lannister - and not just any Lannister but the Lannister she has a right to take into possession and ask to face justice for the accusations against him. The Lannister that was about to start loudly asking why she was traveling around in disguise, which looks shady as fukk. Ned has drilled into her head that he can handle Robert because they are homies from way back and under all that drunken fat, he's a decent person that would look at things fairly and do the right thing. If Ned had been right about being able to handle Robert, which she believed to be true, she was grabbing up a primo bargaining chip for them to help the cause and keep things from getting too out-of-control.

Where she really fukked up was going to the Vale and her sister. If she had gone to Riverrun and kept the crazy/Littlefinger out of the mix, she'd have had Tyrion which would've given massive support to the Ned/Robert cause she believed to be happening in King's Landing. Unfortunately, none of that was true and happened. Instead Littlefinger was fukking her sister and Robert wasn't about to start pushing the Lannister's in any kind of real way, regardless of what Ned thought.

Taking him was smart and then acting like she was taking him to Winterfell was smart, everything after... not so smart.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Robert was getting the strong wine regardless of what happened, it was just a matter of time. Ned could've stayed at Winterfell and the whole story could've been about them training their direwolves and Cersei would've still strong wined Robert. She hated him and everyone knew it.

Taking Tyrion was smart for multiple reasons. She has every reason to think he tried to kill her son at least once, probably twice, so she's allowed to ask for some kind of justice in the eyes of the gods and the people. She is sneaking back to Winterfell in disguise after going to King's Landing to plot out potential war strategy with Ned and he is about to start loudly asking why she's not in Winterfell taking care of Bran. She has a letter from her crazy ass sister that's says the Lannisters are actively offing people like Jon Arryn, which (if true) would mean there is some massive reaching, treasonous plot getting acted out by the Lannisters.

So she's sitting there thinking who and how she can rally support from the Riverlands if the Lannisters don't listen to Ned/Robert/Littlefinger and bam - a Lannister - and not just any Lannister but the Lannister she has a right to take into possession and ask to face justice for the accusations against him. The Lannister that was about to start loudly asking why she was traveling around in disguise, which looks shady as fukk. Ned has drilled into her head that he can handle Robert because they are homies from way back and under all that drunken fat, he's a decent person that would look at things fairly and do the right thing. If Ned had been right about being able to handle Robert, which she believed to be true, she was grabbing up a primo bargaining chip for them to help the cause and keep things from getting too out-of-control.

Where she really fukked up was going to the Vale and her sister. If she had gone to Riverrun and kept the crazy/Littlefinger out of the mix, she'd have had Tyrion which would've given massive support to the Ned/Robert cause she believed to be happening in King's Landing. Unfortunately, none of that was true and happened. Instead Littlefinger was fukking her sister and Robert wasn't about to start pushing the Lannister's in any kind of real way, regardless of what Ned thought.

Taking him was smart and then acting like she was taking him to Winterfell was smart, everything after... not so smart.

You're forgetting hot head Jaime who attacks Ned for Cat's actions, also wherever Cat takes Tyrion, the Riverlands get fukked over (Jaime again). A lot of people died over Tyrion's kidnapping and If Jaime was successful in killing Ned during that ambush... :lupe: I don't know, Tyrion's kidnapping still doesn't look like a good decision.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
You're forgetting hot head Jaime who attacks Ned for Cat's actions, also wherever Cat takes Tyrion, the Riverlands get fukked over (Jaime again). A lot of people died over Tyrion's kidnapping and If Jaime was successful in killing Ned during that ambush... :lupe: I don't know, Tyrion's kidnapping still doesn't look like a good decision.
Now that I think about the only reason Tyrion's kidnapping didn't result in Jamie just straight killing Ned in the middle of a street, was because Ned had to actually remind our golden haired hothead that killing him would mean Tyrion's death. That's how it went right?

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes

That's fair. And don't get me wrong, I understand why people blame Cat for everything and can see their point. I just disagree. I think taking Tyrion in the moment was the smart thing for her to do and the war was happening regardless of that action.

Littlefinger didn't kill off Jon Arryn and have Lysa send off that note for nothing, he was actively trying to start a war. Then you've got honorable Ned who thinks that his relationship with Robert is the exact same homies over hoes situation it used to be and as a result, severely underestimated his ability to appeal to Robert's reason when it came to the Lannisters (which Ned should've figured out the second he put that sword through Lady's neck) but he still managed to convince Cat that he could and that they should strengthen up Moat Cailin just in case. She believed that was the plan. If that plan would've worked, there would've been no war at all because Ned/Robert would've been able to use the strength of the North/the Riverlands and their ideal Tyrion hostage, that they had every right to snatch up and question for his part in Bran's recent troubles, to push the Lannisters back into line. She would've saved the day and countless lives. It looks bad in retrospect based on how things turned out, but at the time she was acting pretty intelligently based on what she knew to be happening.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Not gonna lie, I can't even read all these essays on Cat TULLY because I hate her so much

She is a TULLY and has destroyed the STARKS

If it was Ned's fault that all this shyt went down I could forgive him because its his family name. But this bytch a TULLY

Period

Only Tully I like is Blackfish because he had the common courtesy not to drop his seed in a woman and spread the Tully name any further

:pacspit:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Not gonna lie, I can't even read all these essays on Cat TULLY because I hate her so much

If it was Ned's fault that all this shyt went down I could forgive him because its his family name. But this bytch a TULLY

Period

Only Tully I like is Blackfish because he had the common courtesy not to drop his seed in a woman and spread the Tully name any further

The reason I hate her is because of how she treats Jon Snow. If it wasn't for that I'd let all that other shyt slide because she really was just a housewife who meant well. shyt stung when Jaime tried to give Blackfish a chance to take the black and when he mentioned Jon Snow was Lord Commander there, Blackfish flipped that shyt saying Cat never trusted him and Jon probably got promoted by the Lannisters. :mjcry: Smeared the fukk out of the boy's name.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

I just feel like taking Tyrion forced everybody to play their hand when ned didnt even know what cards he had to play yet. It may have seemed like a good decision to her at that moment but she left Ned hanging out to dry when she did that. Where im up to, Varys just came up to ned and revealed some secrets to him that would eventually lead him to his aha moment, but while this is happening tywin is finding out about tyrion(the very next chapter is tyrion realizing he is in the vale and then the group being attacked by mountain clans). It didnt give Ned any time to figure out the right move before his hand was forced. I believe the next ned chapter he gets pissed at robert for wanting to kill dany and then the one after he gets attacked by jamie. If Tyrion wasnt taken, after that last trip to the brothel Ned might have figured things out, but he got attacked by Jamie and was unconscious for 6 days. a lot could happen in 6 days.

no kidnapping, no attack, 6 days to figure the rest of it out. Maybe even gets a chance to speak to Robert before he goes hunting and changes the course of the whole story.

anyway, i forgot how entertaining it is to discuss this story :salute:

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender

Period

bwahhhahhaaa, I felt the hate pouring through my screen. And I thought my dislike for her and the Tully name was high, you just beat me out. Anyway fukk Cat and I hope Jon comes back to life and puts a sword through her Stoneheart.

I kind of liked Edmure, like the way you might like Barney from the Simpsons, or the way people like The Cubs or your 35 year old friend who gets keeps getting fired from low level jobs for failing drug tests. A loveable and pathetic fukkup worthy of no respect whatsoever.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana

Period

Jon ain't never hurt nobody :to:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Are there any book readers here who are considering dropping the show out of concern about possible book spoilers this season? :patrice:I have to be honest, the show feels more like fan fiction than an adaptation to me. I really want to discover what George has planned via reading rather through the show but I'm really curious about where they're heading on the show.

The guys a fat shyt and 66. He also wears the same musty hat everywhere like a 6 year old. No way you get the last book, you'll be lucky for the sixth.