A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
What's everyone's prediction for episode 9 this season?

Season 1, Episode 9 - Death of Ned Stark
Season 2, Episode 9 - Battle of Blackwater
Season 3, Episode 9 - Red Wedding
Season 4, Episode 9 - Battle at Castle Black

I'd guess the Mereen coup where Dany ends up riding off on Drogon. I think the season will probably end like ADWD with Jon Snow getting clapped up :mjcry:

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps

I'd guess the Mereen coup where Dany ends up riding off on Drogon. I think the season will probably end like ADWD with Jon Snow getting clapped up :mjcry:
I agree. Jon definitely isn't making it out of this season, I don't think. I don't know if its gonna happen the same as in the books though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Are there any book readers here who are considering dropping the show out of concern about possible book spoilers this season? :patrice:I have to be honest, the show feels more like fan fiction than an adaptation to me. I really want to discover what George has planned via reading rather through the show but I'm really curious about where they're heading on the show.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Are there any book readers here who are considering dropping the show out of concern about possible book spoilers this season? :patrice:I have to be honest, the show feels more like fan fiction than an adaptation to me. I really want to discover what George has planned via reading rather through the show but I'm really curious about where they're heading on the show.

I will check out the first few episodes but as soon as I see a spoiler I'm bailing the fukk out, will keep all my book nerd complaints out of the tv thread this year tho.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I will check out the first few episodes but as soon as I see a spoiler I'm bailing the fukk out, will keep all my book nerd complaints out of the tv thread this year tho.

I think this is what I'm probably gonna end up doing as well. You're right, it's not really a popular thing to say, so I'm glad to hear im not the only one.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
im going thru the books again but this time in audio. best shyt ever. i just listen every morning for an hour on the way to work and another hour on my way home. just started last week and im already up to catelyn's dumb ass move of arresting tyrion just because he saw her. dumb ass could have just said she was on her way to see lysa or her father.

i fukking hate catelyn more and more every time i read this shyt again :snoop:

Last edited:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps

I think this is what I'm probably gonna end up doing as well. You're right, it's not really a popular thing to say, so I'm glad to hear im not the only one.
More power to yall if yall can hold out. I'll be damn if I tune out of the show.

Plus I'm sure we'll be in here discussing how shyt might be different in the books when the show airs.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

I agree although I think they are rushing her story. My second guess would be Jon Snow and third would be Kevan Lannister or less likely Tommen Baratheon getting stabbed the fukk up creating a whodoneit for the next season.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

my guess is also dany riding off with drogon. maybe we get a 2 for 1 special and also see theon escaping that same episode.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
I feel like you'll have trouble avoiding news about the show. I mean you go to say the LA Times website a day after the show and BAM there's a headline about what happened. Its pretty much everywhere. Even if you try to avoid spoiling yourself it can still happen accidentally.

i fukking hate catelyn more and more every time i read this shyt again :snoop:
She's eeeeaaaaaasily my least favorite major character in the book. But this makes me ask a question. I read GRRM say maybe he should have made Robb a POV character. Does anyone think the story would have been better served with Robb as a POV rather than Cat?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I feel like you'll have trouble avoiding news about the show. I mean you go to say the LA Times website a day after the show and BAM there's a headline about what happened. Its pretty much everywhere. Even if you try to avoid spoiling yourself it can still happen accidentally.

She's eeeeaaaaaasily my least favorite major character in the book. But this makes me ask a question. I read GRRM say maybe he should have made Robb a POV character. Does anyone think the story would have been better served with Robb as a POV rather than Cat?

You may be right, although I'm gonna try. But like I said, I'm really curious about what they're gonna do with the show now that they're heading into unknown territory, so I may give in to it.:sadcam:

I do not particularly like Cat, but I grew to understand her motivations better as the series went on. Considering where her character is heading, I think her POV is very important. On the other hand, Robb's fate was sealed swiftly. I don't think we would have learned anything new or interesting if GRRM had written his POV. We may have become more attached to him though, which means his ending probably would have been more painful.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
You may be right, although I'm gonna try. But like I said, I'm really curious about what they're gonna do with the show now that they're heading into unknown territory, so I may give in to it.:sadcam:

I do not particularly like Cat, but I grew to understand her motivations better as the series went on. Considering where her character is heading, I think her POV is very important. On the other hand, Robb's fate was sealed swiftly. I don't think we would have learned anything new or interesting if GRRM had written his POV. We may have become more attached to him though, which means his ending probably would have been more painful.
I see what you're saying about Robb and Cat as POVs. Its essentially what GRRM said. He always had Robb marked for death from the moment he wrote the story but wondered if making him a POV character would have better served the impact of the red wedding. I know in the show I was :( poor Robb because we got to know him better and I liked him. But in the book I was like yay Cat's dead, oh they killed Robb too, oh well.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

it would have been cool to have a robb POV, but as much as i hate catelyn, her POVs were good.

but damn i will never understand her extreme hate for jon. its not like jon had any fault being a b*stard. he was just a baby and the bytch treated him like shyt his whole life.

n that tyrion move was so fukking short sighted. how could she not see, even after talking to baelish and agreeing there wasnt enough proof, that arresting tyrion at that point would cause a full scale war. if she had just let him be on his way the whole entire story could have gone so much differently.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
Yeah, her hatred of Jon really pissed me off. Like there was never anything she could do to redeem herself in my eyes after how she treated Jon. When the show had that bit where she mentioned how she prayed for Jon's life when he was sick as a baby I just rolled my eyes, I actually FF through that shyt when I rewatch it. Who you fooling, Cat?

I was kind of surprised she arrested Tyrion like that straight out, because for the most part she's overly cautious unless her children are in danger. And arresting Tyrion could have put Sansa and Arya in KL in serious danger immediately, not to mention her husband who actually did get attacked by Jamie and the gang the moment Jamie found out because of her impulsiveness. Like everyone knows Lannisters don't take kindly to people fukking with them, if there as any time for her to be cautious Cat that was it!