A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
this is epic, great, awesome debate........

ON A SIDE POV not even a major player....i love this series and this topic :myman:

My homie and I had a hour long debate about cats like Littlefinger... and why to me Jaime Lannister is the most honest intriguing person in the series right now (sans Jon and Arya)

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
reading through storm of swords. And now I am convinced Cat destroyed house stark indirectly as well as directly. Her treatment of Jon affected her children as well as there sense of honor. If Robb didn't care about honor he would have fukked that chick and bounced. Then dude would have never lost the Frey's. Dumbest move ever trapping yourself so close to enemy territory. At least with the Frey support he could have had some kind of peace.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
reading through storm of swords. And now I am convinced Cat destroyed house stark indirectly as well as directly. Her treatment of Jon affected her children as well as there sense of honor. If Robb didn't care about honor he would have fukked that chick and bounced. Then dude would have never lost the Frey's. Dumbest move ever trapping yourself so close to enemy territory. At least with the Frey support he could have had some kind of peace.

:ohhh:

That's one thing I didn't think about.

There are so many things the Stark could have done/not done that would have saved their family. shyt is crazy.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
:ohhh:

That's one thing I didn't think about.

There are so many things the Stark could have done/not done that would have saved their family. shyt is crazy.

All the other lords got no problem with b*stards shyt even the Frey's ride with them but the Starks with that bullshyt they pulled on Jon caused him break his word when Robb fukked that girl. shyt Frey would not have cared if he had a mistress on the side you see the all the kids he got with his old ass. :myman:

shyt it just would have been a repeat to what his pops did. And I would just laid my King had on the Frey Wench.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
The thing I don't like about Barristan, is that he basically left Ned for dead. I thought that he could have stood with him or attempted a rescue or something. He said "Yeah he's right but I aint goin down with this nikka" while he talked all that honor bs. He basically switched to Robert's side to avoid being killed too while he served Aerys Targ. This dude Barristan isn't as honorable as he pretends to be.:upsetfavre:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
It seems to me like the North is the most 'conservative' region while Dorne is the most 'progressive' region(being a b*stard or a homosexual is not a big deal, equal primogeniture etc.) due to the Rhoynish (eastern) influence...

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Yo, isn't this bytch supposed to notify you whenever someone quotes you?:dwillhuh:

Well duh, of course. Like I said Barristan is a great knight, but not a great person. I said I find him boring and hypocritical. I'm obviously judging him by current standards.
I understand that you disagree but the problem with the "those were just the times back then" mentality is that you could use them to justify a lot of things. Slavery for example. By your logic Dany should just send the slaves she freed in Yunkai, Astapor and Meereen back in chains. After all the place is called Slaver's Bay, it's been going on for thousands of years. But no, despite her faults, Dany recognized that slavery is inherently wrong.
You mentioned Ned Stark. I also have a big problem with him refusing Renly/Varys/Littlefinger's offers and basically challenging the Lannisters up front. He knew it would mean war. He knew thousands and thousands would die or have their lives ruined. Yet he didn't give a shyt, because he wanted to do 'the just and honorable' things.

I know we fundamentally disagree on this "those were the times" part so we might as well drop this particular point.

Based on the rigid set of values that make up Westerosi honor he did, no question. My problem is that Barristan selfishly only viewed it as an affront to his personal honor without regard of Jaime's problem. The dude was basically 16, and was forced to choose between his father and his honor/king. Barristan never had to make that type of choice.
.He was also dead when Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent made their last stand at the ToJ. So was Rhaegar. That didn't stop him. They could have surrenderd and asked for a pardon. They could have went across the Narrow Sea to join the Golden Company. But they chose honor and death. Barristan chose to serve under the man who killed his king, the man who he swore to protect. Isn't that dishonorable by Barristan's standards? Yes it was. Clearly Barristan himself had issues with his decision based on the quote I previously posted where he confesses to Dany.

Dude, he was an idealist. His POVs in ASOS show this. Yes, he joined so he could continue fukking his sister. He also loved her. Is love not idealistic? He also was in love with knighthood and chivalry, based on him idolizing Arthur Dayne and the Blackfish. Jaime at 16 was basically the male version of Sansa. He even lacked political acumen just like her, based on him failing the recognize that the only reason Aerys made him a Kingsguard was to rob Tywin of his heir.

I'm not sure I understand this part...
See above. Barristan felt like shyt when he confessed to Daenerys in ASOS about serving under the 'usurper'.

So automatically I'm going against the grain just because I have issues with him?

Bronn is a master troll.:myman:
I'm not talking about this was the times then. I'm talking about the customs and cultures of the world GRRM has created. Dany wasn't being some sort of visionary. The place she's from, Westeros, doesn't practice slavery. Granted she didn't grow up there, but her brother taught her everything she knows about Westeros, and slavery wasn't part of it. If it was another Westerosi, they might send the slaves back into chains but it would be a strategic move, not because they believed it was the right thing to do.

Tough decisions are tough decisions. Yeah, Jaime had one, though I'm not sure how that excuses killing Aerys personally. Maester Aemon had a tough choice too. Same with Jon, Quorin Halfhand, I could go on.

I don't remember if the Kingsgaurd at the TOJ were aware that Aerys and Rheagar were dead but let's assume they were. The KG are charged with defending the King correct. If Rhaegar, Aerys, Aegon and Rhaenys are all dead, and the commonly excepted theory corect, then they were in fact defending the King by being at the TOJ, were they not?

Jaime still lacks political acumen. I love dude, no homo, but I think that's more a function of him being a fighter more than a thinker, not idealism.

I worded that part wrong. My point was, Jaime valued his life much more than he feared the scorn of the seven kingdoms. Afterall, incest is an abomination, is it not?

This is why I love these fukking books tho, this debate could go on forever and it's not even integral to the actual storyline. :wow:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
So what's the word on Brynden Tully? Yall think he's homo or he's on that asexual shyt like Stannis? I feel like he wouldn't be in the predicament he's in now if he'd gotten married.

I'm up to the part where all them Frey fakkits, Jaime and his crew are planning on storming his castle. shyt don't look to good... :to:

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
So what's the word on Brynden Tully? Yall think he's homo or he's on that asexual shyt like Stannis? I feel like he wouldn't be in the predicament he's in now if he'd gotten married.

I'm up to the part where all them Frey fakkits, Jaime and his crew are planning on storming his castle. shyt don't look to good... :to:

I think the Tullys are one of the wackest houses in the whole series. What have Brynden, Edmure, Catelyn or Lysa really done but make poor decisions. I mean I don't like the Freys, Greyjoys, or Lannisters but they're great villains for the most part.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I think the Tullys are one of the wackest houses in the whole series. What have Brynden, Edmure, Catelyn or Lysa really done but make poor decisions. I mean I don't like the Freys, Greyjoys, or Lannisters but they're great villains for the most part.

I was talking about Brynden though not the whole House. Even though I don't care much for the Tullys I don't like the fact that the Freys get to claim their castle and shyt.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

I am just finished ASOS and reading a AFFC and your right. That whole house fukked up but they were the first of the river lords to bend the knee to the dragon so they were weak form the get go.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
I was talking about Brynden though not the whole House. Even though I don't care much for the Tullys I don't like the fact that the Freys get to claim their castle and shyt.

Nah I don't think Brynden is homo he just didn't want his wife picked out for him by Hoster. He's probably just like Stannis and doesn't care this way or that about women and puts knighthood before marriage. Although he probably should wife up and have a child just in case something happens to Edmure.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
The Tullys are pretty much the weakest of the great houses, because the Riverlands, while they are pretty prosperous and populated, have no natural defenses and stand smack in the middle of Westeros, thus being open to attack by almost every other region.

Their only saving grace is that Riverrun is a pretty hard castle to besiege...

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
this old nikka better not die before he finishes these books :to:

Dude is in his late 60s right? That has me a bit paranoid too. Any kind of shyt could happen at that age. All my grandparents but one are dead of natural causes and they didn't even hit the 60s. I'd feel much better if he announced he went on a diet and started working out lol