A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Doran has a huge plan, he is playing the GoT to win. Quentyn was one part, leaving it out makes Doran's plan less than and skews his characterization.
Who poisoned the locusts is a big mystery in ADWD, leaving out a suspect on the show lessens the drama.
Yes, anyone can release the dragons, but now the show runners have to make something up. What they make up could be less than effective then what is in the books.
Quentyn's whole story arc was a great device to explain various sellsword companies and how they operate. The sellsword aspect of the book was rich and interesting, without him on the show I doubt the show can achieve this richness.

--Doran's plan may or may not even exist in the show. Two seperate canons

--The poisoned locusts may or may not even exist in the show. Two seperate canons. And even if they do, nobody has Quentyn on their suspect list anyway. Might as well say Barristan is a suspect while you are at it.

--Whatever reason there is to release the dragons is not a big deal for the show to change. The Quentyn shyt wasn't exactly mind-blowing writing. It was kind of stupid and unbelievable to be quite honest.

--None of that sellsword talk is gonna happen whether Quentyn was in the show or not. The show does not have time for that type of exposition. That is what the "History and Lore of Westeros" is for on the Blu-Rays. There are far more important missing pieces of lore to be worried about that the formation of sellsword companies

Quentyn is gone from the show. Without Aegon, Quentyn serves no purpose. His book purpose was not to release the dragons, that could have happened easliy some other way. His book purpose is likely to cause Dorne to align with Aegon and reject Daenerys. With only 2 seasons left after this there is no time for expendable side stories.

Sorry Quentyn, sorry Victarion, sorry Aegon Blackfyre, sorry Arienne, sorry Lady Stoneheart, sorry Wyman Manderly, sorry Marwyn.

All these characters have big roles to play in the book canon. But not the show canon.:yeshrug:

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Its obvious GRM doesnt give a fukk about the series anymore...he's basically just given it over HBO at this point to do whatever with. You'd think he'd have more passion for finishing the story but the success done got to his head :mjcry:

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Its obvious GRM doesnt give a fukk about the series anymore...he's basically just given it over HBO at this point to do whatever with. You'd think he'd have more passion for finishing the story but the success done got to his head :mjcry:
what can the show do? he's the one who wants us to wait til fukkin' 2017 cause his old ass wants to tour and shyt

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You're talking about a lot of storylines in the book that will have no actual part in the show though. They're not gonna get into the numerous sellsword companies on Game of Thrones...and they're not going to include every single plot Doran has to be true to the book. You forget that the one person who was actually poisoned by the locusts isn't even in the show...and there isn't a person on the show that has shown they could possibly survive through a full dosage of poison and live next to Dany.

The main storyline there is the war in Slavers Bay, Dany's betrayal likely by her husband, and her eventual control over Drogon. Everything else will probably be either simplified or omitted.

--Doran's plan may or may not even exist in the show. Two seperate canons

--The poisoned locusts may or may not even exist in the show. Two seperate canons. And even if they do, nobody has Quentyn on their suspect list anyway. Might as well say Barristan is a suspect while you are at it.

--Whatever reason there is to release the dragons is not a big deal for the show to change. The Quentyn shyt wasn't exactly mind-blowing writing. It was kind of stupid and unbelievable to be quite honest.

--None of that sellsword talk is gonna happen whether Quentyn was in the show or not. The show does not have time for that type of exposition. That is what the "History and Lore of Westeros" is for on the Blu-Rays. There are far more important missing pieces of lore to be worried about that the formation of sellsword companies

Quentyn is gone from the show. Without Aegon, Quentyn serves no purpose. His book purpose was not to release the dragons, that could have happened easliy some other way. His book purpose is likely to cause Dorne to align with Aegon and reject Daenerys. With only 2 seasons left after this there is no time for expendable side stories.

Sorry Quentyn, sorry Victarion, sorry Aegon Blackfyre, sorry Arienne, sorry Lady Stoneheart, sorry Wyman Manderly, sorry Marwyn.

All these characters have big roles to play in the book canon. But not the show canon.:yeshrug:

My original complaint is all these things are not on the show. The TV show could tell a richer story, I'm disappointed they are not. :manny:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Doran has a huge plan, he is playing the GoT to win. Quentyn was one part, leaving it out makes Doran's plan less than and skews his characterization.
Who poisoned the locusts is a big mystery in ADWD, leaving out a suspect on the show lessens the drama.
Yes, anyone can release the dragons, but now the show runners have to make something up. What they make up could be less than effective then what is in the books.
Quentyn's whole story arc was a great device to explain various sellsword companies and how they operate. The sellsword aspect of the book was rich and interesting, without him on the show I doubt the show can achieve this richness.

Are we sure it's cut? I noticed in the set pics that Barristan is nowhere to be seen in Daznak's Pit. What if he's the one who gets poisoned?

Book wise...dunno about Doran man. That last part of AFFC got me so hype brehs. Then ADWD came out x years later and Quentyn...was a pudgy dude who got himself killed in the most ridiculous fashion ever, thus blowing up Doran's entire plan. IF that was Doran's plan. I want to believe it was something else. It just doesn't make sense to send your son with limited support into unstable territory like that. And tell him to basically inflate Dorne's manpower to Dany. Dunno...just seemed like a bad plan. From a writing perspective I really think Quentyn is just a plot device to spark conflict between Aegon and Dany. Dorne sides with Aegon. If you've read the TWOW sample chapters it really sounds like Arianne is ready to throw Dany in the bushes, she's still jealous of her brother too. And when she hears Dany "murdered" her brother, or however the rumor will go, she's gonna do her best to throw Dorne into Aegon's camp. Might even give him the p*ssy and try to get a marriage alliance (I don't think Aegon will marry her tho).

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Are we sure it's cut? I noticed in the set pics that Barristan is nowhere to be seen in Daznak's Pit. What if he's the one who gets poisoned?

Book wise...dunno about Doran man. That last part of AFFC got me so hype brehs. Then ADWD came out x years later and Quentyn...was a pudgy dude who got himself killed in the most ridiculous fashion ever, thus blowing up Doran's entire plan. IF that was Doran's plan. I want to believe it was something else. It just doesn't make sense to send your son with limited support into unstable territory like that. And tell him to basically inflate Dorne's manpower to Dany. Dunno...just seemed like a bad plan. From a writing perspective I really think Quentyn is just a plot device to spark conflict between Aegon and Dany. Dorne sides with Aegon. If you've read the TWOW sample chapters it really sounds like Arianne is ready to throw Dany in the bushes, she's still jealous of her brother too. And when she hears Dany "murdered" her brother, or however the rumor will go, she's gonna do her best to throw Dorne into Aegon's camp. Might even give him the p*ssy and try to get a marriage alliance (I don't think Aegon will marry her tho).

Quentyn was not Doran's master plan though, it was his emergency plan. Doran's master plan was marrying Arienne to Viserys. Thats what he worked his whole life for.

Doran was getting played by Illyrio the whole time, unless I'm forgetting something. Then Viserys got himself killed. Illyrio just wanted to use Viserys as a prop to legitimize Aegon Blackfyre.

EDIT: I was wrong about Illyrio playing Doran. He didn't know about the pact

. From a writing perspective I really think Quentyn is just a plot device to spark conflict between Aegon and Dany. ).

Thats what I was saying. Seems obvious at this point once you read the Arienne chapters from TWOW

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Ahh I forgot about the Viserys/Arianne plan. Could have worked but was still dangerous. Lack of dragons and relied on a destabilized Westeros. Man...if Robert lived long enough to see a Targ raise banners...dude would have lost that weight in a minute and been ready to rock lol.

Ultimately I think Aegon is going to have a lot of success. Already took Storm's End and don't forget about that "friends in the Reach" warning. Somebody gonna betray the Tyrells. Probably Randyl Tarly. Remember, he fought for the Targs and knows Jon Connington. I bet Tarly gonna lead the army to Storm's End...and decide to meet with Connington just to see if it's really him. And I think he'll switch sides/bring his army into Aegon's camp. If that happens the Tyrells are fukked. Garlan got the rest of the army busy marching to fight Euron so Aegon could invade The Reach or siege King's Landing.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Holy shyt, this is interesting if real:

I know for a fact that GRRM submitted a 3 page "general synopsis" to his publisher back in the early 90's, so if this is not a fake then :whoo:

I would say MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD but wait till yall read this shyt:mjlol:

George's original plan for this story was wack as fukk:mjlol:

That being said, there are still some small things that could be taken from this that could be considered spoilers in the future. But most of it is stuff we already knew or was already inferred. Much of the outlined story is massively different......and fukking wack:mjlol:

Close ups:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcViAIIAAcpcy.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcWENIAAAkSza.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcTYHIUAAocJV.jpg

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Holy shyt, this is interesting if real:

I know for a fact that GRRM submitted a 3 page "general synopsis" to his publisher back in the early 90's, so if this is not a fake then :whoo:

I would say MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD but wait till yall read this shyt:mjlol:

George's original plan for this story was wack as fukk:mjlol:

That being said, there are still some small things that could be taken from this that could be considered spoilers in the future. But most of it is stuff we already knew or was already inferred. Much of the outlined story is massively different......and fukking wack:mjlol:

Close ups:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcViAIIAAcpcy.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcWENIAAAkSza.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AcTYHIUAAocJV.jpg

damn there goes Jon snow being a stark theory. Or could he still be :ohhh:

but Jon and ayra were suppose to have a thing. :russ:

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally got around to watching all 3 parts

:mjlol:

This dude makes the most entertaining theory videos but also the WOAT in terms of logic and evidence

Completely ignores mountains of textual evidence against his theories, and instead jumps to wild conclusions based on minor details. I especially enjoyed the part where wildfire must have been stored at the Tower of Joy.:lolbron:

I remember watching his Pink Letter video and my face making this transistion from the start to the end :ohhh::whoo::patrice::beli::why::stopitslime::mjlol:

Just full of complete BS

I went ahead and did you a favor and found a westeros.org thread that trashes the theory into smithereens
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115376-rld-and-baj/

yeah he fukked up the timeline

still some of the theories he put out there are good.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I almost feel like that GRRM outline HAS to be real, because if someone was gonna go through that much trouble to troll people you would think they would come up with a fake story that people actually cared about. Something like "Daenerys takes over the Iron Throne only to be suprised by an unexpected challenger".....not dumb shyt like a Jon/Arya/Tyrion love triangle:laff:

I was suspicious at first because of the timing. It has only recently come out that GRRM's publisher was gonna reveal the 'original 3 page outline' once the series ended, and also the buzz word "neverborn" when describing the Others is a relatively new discovery. A lot of the other material was already known from old GRRM correspondences, such as the original 3 act trilogy outline. So my bullshyt detector went haywire at first. But after taking it all in, I think it is real:laff:

EDIT: I just realized that this shyt does not bode well for King Stannis at all :mjcry:

EDIT 2: His publisher retweeted it, its real. King Jaime:laff:

Last edited: