A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
i JUST saw the trailer for season 5:krs:

Speaking of which it seems they are getting rid of all the story lines around people coming to Essos/Mereen from Westeros to align with Danny. No Victarian/Euron Greyjoy, no Quentyn Martell, no Grif or Young Grif no word on Marwyn yet. What’s the consensus on this when adapting for TV? I think this is very wack. Quentyn and Young Grif are essential IMO, I don’t mind they cut out the Greyjoys though.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Speaking of which it seems they are getting rid of all the story lines around people coming to Essos/Mereen from Westeros to align with Danny. No Victarian/Euron Greyjoy, no Quentyn Martell, no Grif or Young Grif no word on Marwyn yet. What’s the consensus on this when adapting for TV? I think this is very wack. Quentyn and Young Grif are essential IMO, I don’t mind they cut out the Greyjoys though.
young grif not being in the series is the one thing that bothers the fukk outta me:dry:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
young grif not being in the series is the one thing that bothers the fukk outta me:dry:

I will be more bothered if Jaquen H'agar at Oldtown is cut to be honest, him and Marwyn are by far my favorite plots introduced in AFFC/ADWD because it seems so mythology heavy. I know the actor that plays Jaquen's 1st face is back this season, but he will almost undoubtedly be at the House of Black and White. I didn't see the actor that plays jaquen's 2nd face as being part of this years cast anywhere.

Aegon to me is nothing but a plot device to develop Danaerys anyway. And Quentyn is expendable if Aegon is cut.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
I like the wacky Greyjoy family. The Kings moot was hilarious, all the bragging and exaggerating. Euron is loony but clever. Victarion is a man of action and ain't got no time for plotting and schemes that take 10 years to develop. He just wants to smash something with his axe lol.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I heard it actually doesn't.

Dude convinced me. He also has vids in regards to Doran's masterplan that are:ohhh::whew::ohlawd::myman:

Finally got around to watching all 3 parts

:mjlol:

This dude makes the most entertaining theory videos but also the WOAT in terms of logic and evidence

Completely ignores mountains of textual evidence against his theories, and instead jumps to wild conclusions based on minor details. I especially enjoyed the part where wildfire must have been stored at the Tower of Joy.:lolbron:

I remember watching his Pink Letter video and my face making this transistion from the start to the end :ohhh::whoo::patrice::beli::why::stopitslime::mjlol:

Just full of complete BS

I went ahead and did you a favor and found a westeros.org thread that trashes the theory into smithereens
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115376-rld-and-baj/

Last edited:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I don't see where this comes from. Victarion & Euron weren't major parts of the story until AFFC which they barely touched in last season. They can probably go half the season before bringing up any of the Greyjoys. I don't think Quentyn is crucial to the story now that I've read ADWD...I think the major points can be addressed without him existing. As far as Griff & Young Griff...they can probably hold them off until season 6.

:yeshrug:

Victarion though I'm guessing will be vital so it's gonna be interesting if they don't include him & Euron into the story

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Smithereens is a bit strong. But really, let's not take this too seriously. It is all fiction GRRM can write whatever to fit whatever
I don't see where this comes from. Victarion & Euron weren't major parts of the story until AFFC which they barely touched in last season. They can probably go half the season before bringing up any of the Greyjoys. I don't think Quentyn is crucial to the story now that I've read ADWD...I think the major points can be addressed without him existing. As far as Griff & Young Griff...they can probably hold them off until season 6.

:yeshrug:

Victarion though I'm guessing will be vital so it's gonna be interesting if they don't include him & Euron into the story
All that happened in ADWD was occuring at the same time of AFFC, they can't hold off on young Grif until season 6 if they want to get the timeline correct. And I disagree Quentyn is essential: He's a big part of Doran's plan, he is someone to be suspected in the poisoning of the Locusts and he released the last 2 dragons. More essential than the Greyjoys at least.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I like the wacky Greyjoy family. The Kings moot was hilarious, all the bragging and exaggerating. Euron is loony but clever. Victarion is a man of action and ain't got no time for plotting and schemes that take 10 years to develop. He just wants to smash something with his axe lol.
they're the white trash of westeros :heh:

although i think ultimately they will fall on the evil side of the coin when the picture becomes clearer. the only ones that we're meant to lend sympathy to are theon (after a year of insane torture, mind you, not because of who he actually is) and asha, a misfit.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Smithereens is a bit strong. But really, let's not take this too seriously. It is all fiction GRRM can write whatever to fit whatever

All that happened in ADWD was occuring at the same time of AFFC, they can't hold off on young Grif until season 6 if they want to get the timeline correct. And I disagree Quentyn is essential: He's a big part of Doran's plan, he is someone to be suspected in the poisoning of the Locusts and he released the last 2 dragons. More essential than the Greyjoys at least.
Why is the poison important? And anyone can release the dragons. As far as Dorans plan, it was a failure from the start in the story, and it can be simplified without his introduction and eventual death

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Why is the poison important? And anyone can release the dragons. As far as Dorans plan, it was a failure from the start in the story, and it can be simplified without his introduction and eventual death
Doran has a huge plan, he is playing the GoT to win. Quentyn was one part, leaving it out makes Doran's plan less than and skews his characterization.
Who poisoned the locusts is a big mystery in ADWD, leaving out a suspect on the show lessens the drama.
Yes, anyone can release the dragons, but now the show runners have to make something up. What they make up could be less than effective then what is in the books.
Quentyn's whole story arc was a great device to explain various sellsword companies and how they operate. The sellsword aspect of the book was rich and interesting, without him on the show I doubt the show can achieve this richness.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Doran has a huge plan, he is playing the GoT to win. Quentyn was one part, leaving it out makes Doran's plan less than and skews his characterization.
Who poisoned the locusts is a big mystery in ADWD, leaving out a suspect on the show lessens the drama.
Yes, anyone can release the dragons, but now the show runners have to make something up. What they make up could be less than effective then what is in the books.
Quentyn's whole story arc was a great device to explain various sellsword companies and how they operate. The sellsword aspect of the book was rich and interesting, without him on the show I doubt the show can achieve this richness.
You're talking about a lot of storylines in the book that will have no actual part in the show though. They're not gonna get into the numerous sellsword companies on Game of Thrones...and they're not going to include every single plot Doran has to be true to the book. You forget that the one person who was actually poisoned by the locusts isn't even in the show...and there isn't a person on the show that has shown they could possibly survive through a full dosage of poison and live next to Dany.

The main storyline there is the war in Slavers Bay, Dany's betrayal likely by her husband, and her eventual control over Drogon. Everything else will probably be either simplified or omitted.