A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
You guys may be right about the fight at the Inn with her being outnumbered, but that is still relevant to the conversation. How can you be the greatest if you can't take out multiple attackers?

We gotta be clear if we are talking about Westeros only or if Essos counts also

If Essos counts, Brienne aint even sniffing the top 10

If its only Westeros, she aint sniffing the top 3.

Brienne over Areo Hotah? :mjlol:
Brienne over Mance Rayder? :mjlol:

Brienne over the Blackfish? :mjlol:

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
I forgot about Raydar, he was working over Jon. Not really sure how good a fighter Jon is since i can only remember the fight with the halfhand.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
d
I forgot about Raydar, he was working over Jon. Not really sure how good a fighter Jon is since i can only remember the fight with the halfhand.

Jon aint all that, but Mance was toying with him

The biggest evidence I have for Mance is the simple fact that the Wildlings have accepted him as King. They are battle hardened warriors and would only accept a top warrior to lead them

I may be underrating Brienne a bit, but I don't think there is any evidence that she is a top quality 1 on 1 fighter. She is only skilled in melee.

EDIT: I think some of yall may be getting influenced by her beating The Hound on the show too. But remember, that is an invented scene and not book canon. And even on the show, the Hound was injured going into it.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
You guys may be right about the fight at the Inn with her being outnumbered, but that is still relevant to the conversation. How can you be the greatest if you can't take out multiple attackers?

We gotta be clear if we are talking about Westeros only or if Essos counts also

If Essos counts, Brienne aint even sniffing the top 10

If its only Westeros, she aint sniffing the top 3.

Brienne over Areo Hotah? :mjlol:
Brienne over Mance Rayder? :mjlol:

Brienne over the Blackfish? :mjlol:

:ehh:OK fair enough. I think my emotional attachment to her was clouding my memory as well. I don't know how you keep track of the minor characters with no narrative voice in the story. I think that's pretty impressive actually.

d

The biggest evidence I have for Mance is the simple fact that the Wildlings have accepted him as King. They are battle hardened warriors and would only accept a top warrior to lead them

I may be underrating Brienne a bit, but I don't think there is any evidence that she is a top quality 1 on 1 fighter. She is only skilled in melee.

EDIT: I think some of yall may be getting influenced by her beating The Hound on the show too. But remember, that is an invented scene and not book canon. And even on the show, the Hound was injured going into it.

Yeah, the invented Hound scene definitely influenced my memory of her skills as well. OK, so, she may not be Tier 1, but she's top of the line Tier 2, and that's saying a lot for Westoros.

dc007

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DC
d

Hoping Jon becomes a top fighter as he get more experience. I need the Starks to get a win in the last 2 books

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Any of the Starks really .... Jon, Arya, and I'm still holding out for Rickon to shock the hell out of everyone and break some hearts. :steviej:

:banderas: if grrm would have done his time jump and rickon woulda came out on some 15 year old ruthless warrior shyt. brolic as hell with shaggydogg full grown and angry and an army of skagos cannibals ready to rock for him.

imagine him leading a horde of skagosi into battle riding on unicorns :wow:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
:banderas: if grrm would have done his time jump and rickon woulda came out on some 15 year old ruthless warrior shyt. brolic as hell with shaggydogg full grown and angry and an army of skagos cannibals ready to rock for him.

imagine him leading a horde of skagosi into battle riding on unicorns :wow:

:banderas:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
There is no textual evidence at all to support a spot that high. She is definitely a good fighter, but not even on the level of someone like Bronn or Blackfish

It is made clear that she has an advantage in melee situations simply because the male ego makes people rush her unintelligently. She survives off of males stupidity, not off of prowess

She nearly loses a fight to a chained, beaten, and starved Jaime. (on the show she dominates him, but not in the book).

She nearly dies at the hands of Rorge or Biter (don't remember which one) but is saved by the Brotherhood as she passes out

She aint at the top. She is second tier AT BEST. He thoroughly disrespected the gawd Barristan Selmy by putting her name so close to his:ufdup:

Bronn isn't really a great fighter, he's a great survivalist, those are two different things. He comes up one on one with a superior fighter he will do something underhanded to get the advantage because he isn't classically trained nor has the physical talents. We are talking sword to sword in a fair one. Jamie is literally that good to the point where he can get at her even weakened. Rorge and Biter are crazed criminals and known murderers, again in a fair one Brienne is more than a match. Blackfish i might give you but there is even less evidence for him.

And I did forget about Mance...but then again Jon isn't really trying to kill the man he is supposed to pledge his sword too :usure:

You sleep, she held her own against perhaps the greatest natural swordsman of their time. (A weakened one, but its like taking Sugar Ray Robinson past 15 rounds...) Maybe not top 3 but she is more than compitent. She was wining against great swordsmen in the Reach.

And Selmy is so far beyond everyone else the list really goes from 1 to like 5. Don't think im saying she's in the same game, she's just one of the best alive. Hell, the Red Viper would give her the work.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I'm sticking with Howland Reed warging into Gerold Hightower, murking Dayne, then getting himself stuck inside the head/body of Hightower. He is now relegated to a simple life where he continues to try and say his name but can't speak through his host. All he can muster is Ho...dor, Ho...dor, Hodor:lolbron:

Howland Reed is the High Sparrow.....:troll:

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
As a slight aside wasn't pre morbid-obesity Robert an ace with the war hammer? Or was he just wild and reckless as fukk ala Ramsay Snow?

To end all the speculation

GARLAND TYRELL (no one ever mentions this dude, but he gets down, trains to fight four men at one time, .
:salute:for mentioning Garland. He put in serious work at the Blackwater but did it pretending to be Renly's ghost. Nicer lad than I. I would've said fukk Renly, I saved your asses give me your whores and maiden daughters.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
As a slight aside wasn't pre morbid-obesity Robert an ace with the war hammer? Or was he just wild and reckless as fukk ala Ramsay Snow?

:salute:for mentioning Garland. He put in serious work at the Blackwater but did it pretending to be Renly's ghost. Nicer lad than I. I would've said fukk Renly, I saved your asses give me your whores and maiden daughters.

Prime Robert was a beast but he was wildly, part of Jamie's irritation with him is that even in his prime he knows he could just kill him and skirt off with Cersei (:scusthov:)

Robert was wild and strong but a real swordsman woulda knifed him up. And truly he was lucky Dayne, Whent and Hightower wern't on the Trident.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Prime Robert was a beast but he was wildly, part of Jamie's irritation with him is that even in his prime he knows he could just kill him and skirt off with Cersei (:scusthov:)

Robert was wild and strong but a real swordsman woulda knifed him up. And truly he was lucky Dayne, Whent and Hightower wern't on the Trident.

"woe to the usurper if we had been" :banderas: