A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Which book do they go into depth on some of this stuff?

Not much detail on what happened. The most detail was one of Ned's dream where he named everyone that was there but there's no info on the actual fight. Though seeing how it went down, you can speculate that Ned's entire team was :flabbynsick: compared to the three KG. I think it went down with Howland strafing while dudes fought and since he a Crannogman dude was probably carrying a bow with poison arrows waiting for a shot. Then when it came down to Arthur and Ned, he took a shot. :yeshrug:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
To end all the speculation

Top fighters (who are alive, books):
Barristan
GARLAND TYRELL (no one ever mentions this dude, but he gets down, trains to fight four men at one time, proven on blackwater)
Brienne of Tarth

anyone else is below those three in a 1v1 situation and full rest.

Honorable Mentions to people like Darkstar, Areo Hotah and Darrio Nahaaris.

Top Fighters ALL TIME?
Barristan
Prime Jamie
Arthur Dayne
Khal Drogo
Daemon Blackfyre
Oberyn Martell
and some other obscure people but out of the people that most book readers would know.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Yall dont give Jon no respect :smh:

i think its cause jon is still a teen and hasnt really done much in the 1 on 1 sense with anybody. he was the best in castle black but thats cause castle black was full of poor dudes who never even held a sword. he killed qhorin halfhand only cause qhorin wanted to die and ghost still had to help him. then he faced mance in the yard and mance was fukking him up(im not entirely sure how that fight finished now that i think about it). maybe im missing something but they never mention if jon is some great swordsman.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Jamie is the P4P #1 in the seven kingdoms at the start of the books. As mentioned Ned was an aight swordsman but a great military mind.

Top fighters now gotta include Garlan the Gallant, Greatjon Umber, Areo Hotah, and low key Balon Swann who Jamie said is best of the current kingsguard.

To end all the speculation

Top fighters (who are alive, books):
Barristan
GARLAND TYRELL (no one ever mentions this dude, but he gets down, trains to fight four men at one time, proven on blackwater)
Brienne of Tarth

anyone else is below those three in a 1v1 situation and full rest.

Honorable Mentions to people like Darkstar, Areo Hotah and Darrio Nahaaris.

Top Fighters ALL TIME?
Barristan
Prime Jamie
Arthur Dayne
Khal Drogo
Daemon Blackfyre
Oberyn Martell
and some other obscure people but out of the people that most book readers would know.

word i always forget about garlan, loras, areo hotah, and brienne. darkstar is supposed to be deadly too.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
i think its cause jon is still a teen and hasnt really done much in the 1 on 1 sense with anybody. he was the best in castle black but thats cause castle black was full of poor dudes who never even held a sword. he killed qhorin halfhand only cause qhorin wanted to die and ghost still had to help him. then he faced mance in the yard and mance was fukking him up(im not entirely sure how that fight finished now that i think about it). maybe im missing something but they never mention if jon is some great swordsman.

Being a great warrior isn't just about swordsmanship. Jon has heart and he's cunning. He also engenders loyalty easily. I think people are sleeping on his greatness as a fighter.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Being a great warrior isn't just about swordsmanship. Jon has heart and he's cunning. He also engenders loyalty easily. I think people are sleeping on his greatness as a fighter.

he's good, but i think we talking about best pure fighter. jon seems to be more of the great general type like ned and robb. jon might go down as the best 5 star general in the history of westeros if he reaches adulthood and fights off the others. purely 1 on 1 combat tho, the book hasnt shown much to make u think jon could even beat bronn. he could end up coming up on some boss shyt in the next book tho and dropping everybody who stabbed him at the same time :manny:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Not much detail on what happened. The most detail was one of Ned's dream where he named everyone that was there but there's no info on the actual fight. Though seeing how it went down, you can speculate that Ned's entire team was :flabbynsick: compared to the three KG. I think it went down with Howland strafing while dudes fought and since he a Crannogman dude was probably carrying a bow with poison arrows waiting for a shot. Then when it came down to Arthur and Ned, he took a shot. :yeshrug:

I'm sticking with Howland Reed warging into Gerold Hightower, murking Dayne, then getting himself stuck inside the head/body of Hightower. He is now relegated to a simple life where he continues to try and say his name but can't speak through his host. All he can muster is Ho...dor, Ho...dor, Hodor:lolbron:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

There is no textual evidence at all to support a spot that high. She is definitely a good fighter, but not even on the level of someone like Bronn or Blackfish

It is made clear that she has an advantage in melee situations simply because the male ego makes people rush her unintelligently. She survives off of males stupidity, not off of prowess

She nearly loses a fight to a chained, beaten, and starved Jaime. (on the show she dominates him, but not in the book).

She nearly dies at the hands of Rorge or Biter (don't remember which one) but is saved by the Brotherhood as she passes out

She aint at the top. She is second tier AT BEST. He thoroughly disrespected the gawd Barristan Selmy by putting her name so close to his:ufdup:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
There is no textual evidence at all to support a spot that high. She is definitely a good fighter, but not even on the level of someone like Bronn or Blackfish

It is made clear that she has an advantage in melee situations simply because the male ego makes people rush her unintelligently. She survives off of males stupidity, not off of prowess

She nearly loses a fight to a chained, beaten, and starved Jaime. (on the show she dominates him, but not in the book).

She nearly dies at the hands of Rorge or Biter (don't remember which one) but is saved by the Brotherhood as she passes out

She aint at the top. She is second tier AT BEST. You have thoroughly disrespected the gawd Barristan Selmy by putting her name so close to his:ufdup:

:patrice: I think your downplaying her prowess. Yes she's underestimated but she's very big, according to the books bigger than most men. And she defeats men with her skills. It isn't all gender bias. She fought multiple men at once and slayed. And the fact that she went toe to toe with Jaime at all is a testament. Dude could kill most with one hand. I still think she may be top 3.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown

She aint at the top. She is second tier AT BEST. He thoroughly disrespected the gawd Barristan Selmy by putting her name so close to his:ufdup:
Wasn't she outnumbered in that fight at the inn? The show might be influencing my thoughts too much, cause i can buy her being a solid second teir and on her best day a first teir.

I'd say it goes( as far as confirmed alive)
Barristan ( sonned the titans b*stard, and one of dany's bloodriders)
Bronn
Areo Hotah(most iffy cause we haven't seen him really fight)

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Wasn't she outnumbered in that fight at the inn? The show might be influencing my thoughts too much, cause i can buy her being a solid second teir and on her best day a first teir.

I'd say it goes( as far as confirmed alive)
Barristan ( sonned the titans b*stard, and one of dany's bloodriders)
Bronn
Areo Hotah(most iffy cause we haven't seen him really fight)

The show is fukking with my book memory too. I think she's been outnumbered and come out on top twice in the books, but I'm sure @Adam3000 will let us know if that's correct or not.