A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Book Ned is that bad?

Book Ned was implied to be an "okay" swordsmen he wasn't mook status but he wasn't great. He's known more for his war tactics, pretty much the brain behind the rebellion along with Jon Arryn. The only notable fight Ned has had was against three of the gawdbody KG where Ned was rolling seven deep anyway and he still would have died if it wasn't the Howland Reed assist. :whew:

I was trying to gauge how good Oberyn is, and specifically if he was a lot better than pre maimed Jamie. I'm not sure that book Jamie is beating the Mountain easily.

Jaime was co-signed by two of the best KGs. Even crossed swords with a Mountain type dude when he was a teen. If I remember correctly, Jaime's thoughts shows that he was confident enough to take out The Hound and The Mountain if he had to fight them one on one because they didn't really have technique just crazy brute force that he could get around with careful speed and his superior sword skills. This is arrogant Jaime thoughts though.

As for Oberyn he mains a spear (which is an easy to use noob weapon) and depending on the combat setting a spear >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sword. He could very well put a two handed Jaime in a body bag. Helps that he uses poison too.

Speaking of the mountain....In the book they sent his head to Dorne right? I've been hearing some people say he was coming back to the show as a zombie or something.

Yeah, Mountain's head was sent to Dorne. Qyburn's experiments doesn't need the head :merchant:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
See its been so long for me that I forgot Ned and Jamie don't really fight in the book just the show.

I think in the book universe I give the top nod to Jamie. After him it's a bunch of guys that can interchange ranks. Oberyn is up there because Spears are more for warfare and defending against a cavalry charge. U never match up a spear against a sword, that's why tyrion thought he was a goner in the book when he saw Oberyn come out with a spear. But he was just that good he still almost killed a top 5 swordsman with a perceived disadvantage. So I put obeezy in the top 5 based on that.

The mountain and the Hound also have to go in that top 5.

Then there's barristan even tho he's old but he might be mj of that shyt. Khal drogo even tho he never fought a true Knight and I'm not sure how he would do. Syrio I guess was good for his style. Robert was a god when he was young by all accounts but was :flabbynsick: by the time the book starts.

I feel like I'm forgetting somebody.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Speaking of the mountain....In the book they sent his head to Dorne right? I've been hearing some people say he was coming back to the show as a zombie or something.

He came back in the books as a zombie too

See: Ser Robert Strong

Qyburn created him

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Jamie is the P4P #1 in the seven kingdoms at the start of the books. As mentioned Ned was an aight swordsman but a great military mind.

Top fighters now gotta include Garlan the Gallant, Greatjon Umber, Areo Hotah, and low key Balon Swann who Jamie said is best of the current kingsguard.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Ooo Yea he definitely in that top 10. If bronn woulda been born n raised in a castle as a knight he might be top 3.

That would make Bronn totally different though. Cersei "Bronn was no knight, that was true. Bronn was a battle-hardened killer."

Bronn's personality and the way he fights is because he had a rough life and experience as mercenary. If he was born and raised in a castle he probably would have been killed by Ser Vardis :heh:

curz

Don of all Dons
Daps
Reppin
Dade
Book Ned was implied to be an "okay" swordsmen he wasn't mook status but he wasn't great. He's known more for his war tactics, pretty much the brain behind the rebellion along with Jon Arryn. The only notable fight Ned has had was against three of the gawdbody KG where Ned was rolling seven deep anyway and he still would have died if it wasn't the Howland Reed assist. :whew:

Jaime was co-signed by two of the best KGs. Even crossed swords with a Mountain type dude when he was a teen. If I remember correctly, Jaime's thoughts shows that he was confident enough to take out The Hound and The Mountain if he had to fight them one on one because they didn't really have technique just crazy brute force that he could get around with careful speed and his superior sword skills. This is arrogant Jaime thoughts though.
Which book do they go into depth on some of this stuff?

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
That would make Bronn totally different though. Cersei "Bronn was no knight, that was true. Bronn was a battle-hardened killer."

Bronn's personality and the way he fights is because he had a rough life and experience as mercenary. If he was born and raised in a castle he probably would have been killed by Ser Vardis :heh:

True :ehh:

Probably woulda been a fat lazy drunken whore monger like ser dontos :pachaha: