A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I honestly think they can get around Arianne's character for now by just pushing her story through the Sand Snakes. I have no godly idea how they'll get around Aegon/Jon Connington though.

I agree 100% that every character can fairly easily be "written off" EXCEPT for Aegon

The 'Aegon Problem' as I'm now going start calling it is actually a Varys problem

Aegon himself could wind up being nothing more than the next person on the Iron Throne, only to square off and lose to Dany when she returns to Westeros. This plot itself can be written around no problem, but not Varys' role

Varys is clearly a major character in both the shows and the books. The books have established that Aegon is Varys' endgame. So by taking Aegon away, you have lost Varys' endgame.

In the books, this could be written around because Varys could still be considered a Dany support in the books up to that point in time. But in the show, he has sent off a notice to have her assassinated and thus a plot hole has been created if he turns out to be a Dany supporter on the show (in the books, he warned Jorah to save her from the poisoner, but he didn't do that in the show).

This particular plothole....the Aegon problem....it is going to be a source of annoyance that will hurt GOT in the long run unless they do something creative to get around it. It bothers me because GOT is my favorite show and I can usually play :cape:to defend it, but that plot hole will be a gaping one if it comes to fruition.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I could see the show skipping Victarion as well. They could plug in another existing character into his role with Moqorro (maybe Jorah since his role has diminished in the books but the show character is popular). I don't know how they'd introduce the dragon horn though.

No idea about Euron since we don't know much about him bookwise anyway :manny:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think there will be no movie. But I'm pretty sure there will be eight seasons. They will either order a 20 episode order for season 7 and split it in half like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad or they will order a 8th season.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:umad:

She can easily be written around regarding Myrcella, using the Sand Snakes. And without Aegon, she would have no long term purpose.

House Martell is nothing but Doran and Tristan now :umad:

Although I gotta admit I would have liked to see Frog Boy get toasted

BBQ would have made a great scene. I can imagine the coli convo. :mjcry:

methodz

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats just guesswork at this point because you don't know what is going on behind closed doors

Based on everything I've read though, I would say 90% no movie

Most of that movie talk is nothing more than click-bait articles latching onto GRRM comments about how he wishes it would end with a movie for budget reasons

I am pretty confident that this show will end with 7 seasons, no movie. I can see a potential split or extended final season, but nothing in terms of a movie or Season 8

The contract and scheduling situation would be an absolute nightmare, and HBO does not owe GRRM a time extension. He had 11 years from the show's conception to finish 2 1/2 books, and he is going to fail. It sucks for all parties involved, it really does. But thats the way it is going to be :yeshrug:

I would take a trilogy (160ish minutes each) after season 7 to finish it off, all three released in 2 years, that would make tons of money and could have proper production values.