A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
the full description of what tywin did to the Reynes :dwillhuh:

The Lannister host arrived at Castamere three days later. Like Casterly Rock, the seat of House Reyne had begun as a mine. Rich veins of gold and silver had made the Reynes near as wealthy as the Lannisters during the Age of Heroes; to defend their riches, they had raised curtain walls about the entrance to their mine, closed it with an oak-and-iron gate, and flanked it with a pair of stout towers. Keeps and halls had followed, but all the while the mineshafts had gone deeper and deeper, and when at last the gold gave out, they had been widened into halls and galleries and snug bedchambers, a warren of tunnels and a vast, echoing ballroom. To the ignorant eye, Castamere seemed a modest holding, a fit seat for a landed knight or small lord, but those who knew its secrets knew that nine-tenths of the castle was beneath the ground.

It was to those deep chambers that the Reynes retreated now. Feverish and weak from loss of blood, the Red Lion was in no fit state to lead. Ser Reynard, his brother, assumed command in his stead. Less headstrong but more cunning than his brother, Reynard knew he did not have the men to defend the castle walls, so he abandoned the surface entirely to the foe and fell back beneath the earth. Once all his folk were safe inside the tunnels, Ser Reynard sent word to Ser Tywin above, offering terms. But Tywin Lannister did not honor Ser Reynard’s offer with a reply. Instead he commanded that mines be sealed. With pick and axe and torch, his own miners brought down tons of stone and soil, burying the great gates to the mines until there was no way in and no way out. Once that was done, he turned his attention to the small, swift stream that fed the crystalline blue pool beside the castle from which Castamere took its name. It took less than a day to dam the stream and only two to divert it to the nearest mine entrance. The earth and stone that sealed the mine had no gaps large enough to allow a squirrel to pass, let alone a man . . . but the water found its way down.

Ser Reynard had taken more than three hundred men, women, and children into the mines, it is said. Not a one emerged. A few of the guards assigned to the smallest and most distant of the mine entrances reported hearing faint screams and shouts coming from beneath the earth one night, but by daybreak the stones had gone silent once again.

No one has ever reopened the mines of Castamere.

The halls and keeps above them, put to the torch by Tywin Lannister, stand empty to this day, a mute testament to the fate that awaits those foolish enough to take up arms against the lions of the Rock.

tywin is a fukking sociopath :wow:

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana

The Lannister host arrived at Castamere three days later. Like Casterly Rock, the seat of House Reyne had begun as a mine. Rich veins of gold and silver had made the Reynes near as wealthy as the Lannisters during the Age of Heroes; to defend their riches, they had raised curtain walls about the entrance to their mine, closed it with an oak-and-iron gate, and flanked it with a pair of stout towers. Keeps and halls had followed, but all the while the mineshafts had gone deeper and deeper, and when at last the gold gave out, they had been widened into halls and galleries and snug bedchambers, a warren of tunnels and a vast, echoing ballroom. To the ignorant eye, Castamere seemed a modest holding, a fit seat for a landed knight or small lord, but those who knew its secrets knew that nine-tenths of the castle was beneath the ground.

It was to those deep chambers that the Reynes retreated now. Feverish and weak from loss of blood, the Red Lion was in no fit state to lead. Ser Reynard, his brother, assumed command in his stead. Less headstrong but more cunning than his brother, Reynard knew he did not have the men to defend the castle walls, so he abandoned the surface entirely to the foe and fell back beneath the earth. Once all his folk were safe inside the tunnels, Ser Reynard sent word to Ser Tywin above, offering terms. But Tywin Lannister did not honor Ser Reynard’s offer with a reply. Instead he commanded that mines be sealed. With pick and axe and torch, his own miners brought down tons of stone and soil, burying the great gates to the mines until there was no way in and no way out. Once that was done, he turned his attention to the small, swift stream that fed the crystalline blue pool beside the castle from which Castamere took its name. It took less than a day to dam the stream and only two to divert it to the nearest mine entrance. The earth and stone that sealed the mine had no gaps large enough to allow a squirrel to pass, let alone a man . . . but the water found its way down.

Ser Reynard had taken more than three hundred men, women, and children into the mines, it is said. Not a one emerged. A few of the guards assigned to the smallest and most distant of the mine entrances reported hearing faint screams and shouts coming from beneath the earth one night, but by daybreak the stones had gone silent once again.

The halls and keeps above them, put to the torch by Tywin Lannister, stand empty to this day, a mute testament to the fate that awaits those foolish enough to take up arms against the lions of the Rock.

Slight his house and watch what happens

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.

:wow:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

:birdman:

Wanna be all :whoa: after talking all that shyt and puffing out their chest? That's what they get.

If only the Starks did that to the Greyjoys and Boltons...

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
:birdman:

Wanna be all :whoa: after talking all that shyt and puffing out their chest? That's what they get.

If only the Starks did that to the Greyjoys and Boltons...

Robb was King in The North, but Rickon and Arya have it in them to be true Kings (or Queen in Arya's case) of Winter

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet

This and all the things tywin did as aerys hand just made me respect his character even more. Pragmatic and ruthless, its hard not to like tywin lannister. The realm gonna fall into chaos now that tywins dead, just like it did when resigned as aerys hand.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
I wonder how vary's actually feels about daenary's and the dragons

dragons are associated with magic and he hates magic:hula:

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Copped The World of Ice and Fire and that motivated me to finish off ADWD.

Quentyn Martell :mjlol:
Jon Snow :mjcry:

My theories are Jon is warged into Ghost for now or Melisandre will resurrect him back to human form. He is without a doubt Azor Ahai reborn. Melisandre's visions of seeing "snow" pretty much confirms it to me.

Aegon is going for that Iron Throne too. Varys did a good job selling Aegon as king to me in the epilogue too. Tommen sees the iron throne as his right, Aegon sees it as his duty :wow:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Copped The World of Ice and Fire and that motivated me to finish off ADWD.

Quentyn Martell :mjlol:
Jon Snow :mjcry:

My theories are Jon is warged into Ghost for now or Melisandre will resurrect him back to human form. He is without a doubt Azor Ahai reborn. Melisandre's visions of seeing "snow" pretty much confirms it to me.

Aegon is going for that Iron Throne too. Varys did a good job selling Aegon as king to me in the epilogue too. Tommen sees the iron throne as his right, Aegon sees it as his duty :wow:

Man, I can't wait to see what Doran does when he finds out Dany's dragons barbecued Quentyn. If House Martell teams up with Aegon... :whoo: