A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I agree with the author's sentiment about cutting the fluff being good for the show, but strongly disagree with his seeming dislike for the characters in the books. I doubt that the author has re-read AFFC/ADWD. Once you get past the strong urge to rush through the books to see what happens next to the "main" characters, these new "side" characters really come to life. In particular, I didn't care for all the Greyjoy shyt on my first read, but on re-read I am now a Victarion stan.

As far as Arianne goes @TheGreatShowtime she plays a bigger role than just the Myrcella shyt. Not sure if you have read the Winds of Winter chapters yet:

She is leaving to meet Aegon and will be making the call whether Dorne goes to war. Speculation assumes too that she is going to try and seduce Aegon for marriage

I haven't but I know Doran is trying to set her up with Aegon as it was said in ADWD. They could always introduce her later too.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
. They could always introduce her later too.

This only works if Dornish laws of succession are changed for the show, which would be some bullshyt. Trystane is listed as heir.

This would also eliminate the Myrcella queenmaker plot, which seems unlikely since Myrcella has been recast and appears to be a major player in season 5

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I read some fan speculation that grrm isn't too happy with d&d. It was based on some supposed awkwardness between them at comicon and some of the answers that were given about the adaptation going forward. Then grrm said in an interview he won't be going to visit the set this year and isn't writing any episodes either this season. He says it's so he can focus on the book but I think it's possible he might not be feeling the character cuts.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I read some fan speculation that grrm isn't too happy with d&d. It was based on some supposed awkwardness between them at comicon and some of the answers that were given about the adaptation going forward. Then grrm said in an interview he won't be going to visit the set this year and isn't writing any episodes either this season. He says it's so he can focus on the book but I think it's possible he might not be feeling the character cuts.

It's been a gift and a curse for him it seems.

The show no doubt increased his wealth and celebrity by several margins but it's got to be tough having your story chopped up and reworked. It's also got to be tough essentially working against the clock of the final 2 seasons. I still don't think he regrets doing it.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
GoT has turned his books from a genre literature phenomenon to a pop culture phenomenon. The dream of any artist is to have their works heard/read/seen and appreciated by as many people as possible.

He has every reason to be mad that people are altering his artistic vision, but he has no reason to regret the show because in the end he can still present the book as he wants to, only he will have a drastically larger audience and will also have his name attached to what could go down as the GOAT tv show

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
GoT has turned his books from a genre literature phenomenon to a pop culture phenomenon. The dream of any artist is to have their works heard/read/seen and appreciated by as many people as possible.

He has every reason to be mad that people are altering his artistic vision, but he has no reason to regret the show because in the end he can still present the book as he wants to, only he will have a drastically larger audience and will also have his name attached to what could go down as the GOAT tv show

:stopitslime:Let's not get crazy here.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
:stopitslime:Let's not get crazy here.
:dwillhuh:
Yeah, cause thats a real stretch :dwillhuh:

Show is on par through 4 seasons with almost any show ever made. The Wire and Lost were probably better through 4, but Lost is irrelevant now and The Wire fell off a cliff in season 5. GOAT contender Breaking Bad wasn't this good through 4 seasons. So explain what is crazy here:usure:

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Season 5 of The Wire alone is better than any season of GOT and that's its weaker season, not to mention The Sopranos, GOT is quite mediocre tbh.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Season 5 of The Wire alone is better than any season of GOT and that's its weaker season, not to mention The Sopranos, GOT is quite mediocre tbh.

damn breh, season 5? u could have said any other season and it wouldnt have been a ridiculous statement, but 5? really?

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I'm starting to wrap up ADWD. What are some similar style novels that I can pick up when I'm finished? I'm hooked on the GRRM writing style right now.

I've been thinking about picking up Dune.